Old Pot Legends

RangerDanger

Back when I first started smoking pot there was this legend about "wine curing".
The legend went: put the weed you just bought in a glass jar, pour enough wine into the jar to moisten the weed, then put a piece of cloth over the top and hold it in place with a rubber band.
Then bury it for at least 2 weeks.
The reason for this we were told by old beatniks was to grow a mold on the weed. They said it would "add oxygen" to the weed and make it more potent.
Luckily none of us wanted to wait that long to smoke our weed so we never tried it. But then I got a chance to smoke some that somebody else did that too and of course it tasted terrible.
Another legend was to spray your just bought weed with sugar water. It would make it taste sweet we were told.
It doesn't of course. When ignited sugar turns into carbon. It DOES NOT make the weed taste sweeter.
Legend #3 was if you grew weed was to rip up the entire plant and hang it upside down. The reason we were told was that it would make the THC "flow" from the roots and stalk into the buds, increasing potency.
Nope.
Of course this is an accepted way of slow-drying weed. It doesn't increase potency, unless you compare it with oven or sun dried buds.
This last legend lives on even to-day. I've seen people advise others to rip up the plant and plunge the roots into boiling water to "force" the THC up the roots & stalk into the buds, making them more potent; again it doesn't work that way.
Got any more "legends"?

Someone told me one time to put a nail through the stalk before harvest because it would signal that the plant is dying and it would produce a bunch of thc. :laughtwo:

Andrew86 said:
Someone told me one time to put a nail through the stalk before harvest because it would signal that the plant is dying and it would produce a bunch of thc. :laughtwo:

You know I heard a different version, and I've been told by some growers that it works but I've never tried it and probably never will. The legend is to square off the ends of some fan leaves during flowering. Apparently the plant goes into survival mode and produces more resin to protect it. It actually makes sense but not sure if it's true or not.

USMuscle9403 said:
You know I heard a different version, and I've been told by some growers that it works but I've never tried it and probably never will. The legend is to square off the ends of some fan leaves during flowering. Apparently the plant goes into survival mode and produces more resin to protect it. It actually makes sense but not sure if it's true or not.

Not true.
I also remembered the old "water stress technique". Supposedly if you withheld water for a long time before harvest it would make the pot more potent because it would think it was dying.
I knew enough about plant biology to reject that when I heard it (and it still crops up to-day).
I don't think there's anyway to put a plant into "survival mode" or "signal" the plant it's dying. If you do stuff to kill the plant before it's good and ready naturally, it doesn't suddenly start making more resin. The healthier the plant is the more resin it makes.

Btw I've heard that nail thing recommended as a way to give the plant minerals.

Aside from providing optimum light/water/nutrients I don't think there's anyway to make pot more potent.

They live in cali why not? I have an episode where they get like super drunk to see if you can fake out a breathalyzer. The non-english looking one had a BAC of like .13 or something pretty high lol. Also doesn't putting your ganja in a glass jar improve potency like just weed because it cures it even more?

The mold makes the weed more potent. In the book, "Steal This Book" Abby Hoffman has a section in it about burying weed for months on end. Then digging it up and having a nice moldey treat. I don't know about the nice part.

BongoJongo said:
They live in cali why not? I have an episode where they get like super drunk to see if you can fake out a breathalyzer. The non-english looking one had a BAC of like .13 or something pretty high lol. Also doesn't putting your ganja in a glass jar improve potency like just weed because it cures it even more?

Wetting the pot with wine and burying it is different from putting almost dry enough to smoke weed in an air-tight jar and venting it for a few minutes everyday.

Smoking moldy pot? Say it ain't so!!!!!!!!! :smokin:

Yuck.

Peace and happiness:peace:

My favorite one is that you need to heat the weed to "activate" the THC.

Its... half true.

I like where this is going. I've heard of most of these, but that moldy weed one doesn't sound good. I wouldn't smoke moldy weed. Just breathing the chemicals mold excrete is bad for you. I can't think of any myths yet, but keep em coming people.

This'll be a good learning thread it seems. I'm sure we all wish we had known this stuff from the get go.

I've heard that marking your territory with piss works to fence animals away. Mark your territory in a language that animals understand. I've also heard that vegetarian pee doesn't work.

I don't think human pee keep deer away.
Carnivore piss and shit does though. I used to feed my dog meat the night before my early a.m. trips to the woods, then give him a bran muffin at my guerilla garden.
Works on dogs just like it does with people.

A current myth is that if you keep your indoor plants in complete darkness for days (the time length varies, usually people say 4 days) just before harvest the pot will be better. In other words, when they are ready for harvest you turn off the light and let them sit there in total darkness for days.
Light is what supplies the pot with energy to do stuff. Cutting off the light for an extended period will not help the plant in any way.

Another myth is that growing plants under a 16/8 light cycle saves elect. vs. a 24/0 cycle.
It doesn't. Plants grow slower under 16/8 light. All using a 16/8 cycle will do is take your plants longer to get to where you want them.

Wouldn't cutting the lite just provide a "pre-drying" period before it's removed from the soil?

A lot of pot legends have to do with different techniques at slow drying and this one sounds like one of those.

Back
Top Bottom