Old Q Revisited: Estimate Time From Tap Root To Cutting And Sexing

Ravenplume

Alright, I know I may have asked this a couple times over the past few years, but the threads wandered too much to get a decent solid conclusion, so here we go again...

So, this year, I have three grow projects going on, and hope to get some males for breeding. However, I would prefer not to have any males end up in the secure enclosure when it comes time to plant outside.

So the question is, and I hope this can be kept as simple as possible; what is the shortest period possible from the tap root initially showing to being able to take cuttings, make them root, and then sex them.

My first two were started on the 5th of February for the Mr. Clean Lite and the 7th for the X2022 seeds, then they were planted in Styrofoam cups of dirt on the 9th and 10th respectively.

Here is how they look at this time...

MJ-2022-0-So-Far.JPG

Both are looking pretty healthy. I understand that they will not grow and develop far enough in these little cups to take cuttings from, and they will be getting moved to various larger planters probably end of March or early April. It is between that time and beginning of June when I need to get these (and the others in progress) sexed, preferably by taking a pair of cuttings from each, letting them root, and then sexing them.

So that is the general jist of the question. How long from sprouting until first cuttings can be taken? Should I be able to tell by how many "levels" of branches they have at the time, or is there some other technique? Granted, I will be taking cuttings throughout the year, as I will likely be engaging in cropping and other little cultivating activities, but I feel it important to have this accomplished before the June planting.

I’ll take a stab at it. Well, it takes 3-4 weeks or so to get them to the point you can take decent Cuttings. Then another couple weeks to get them to root and planted, then a couple more weeks of growth and flip to 12/12. Another week or two to show sex. That’s a rough estimate, too many variables to get much more accurate than that. Especially not knowing what you’re light, nutes, or grow media is.

So for the moment, I am going to say that yes, I will be able to have cuttings taken, rooted, and sexed before June planting.

Strangely excited about this year's grow for some reason. Not sure why.

I wouldn't take any cuttings until the plants have matured enough to show you their sex. Males usually show first, but not always. By week 5 or 6 you should know who is who, and by then you have lots of cuttings that can be made, at least 4-6 on each plant. Take your time, learn how the plant grows and matures, and you will realize that by watching your plants every day, there can be no surprises. I always know the males from the females before transplanting into their final container.

So that is 5 or 6 weeks approximately from the time they sprouted?

So for the moment, I am going to say that yes, I will be able to have cuttings taken, rooted, and sexed before June planting.

Strangely excited about this year's grow for some reason. Not sure why.
My estimate is based on everything going perfectly, no problems, all clones are viable, and optimum growth. I agree with Emilya, wait for the mother plants to sex, then take cuttings.

I can add to what @Emilya said; whats the hurry?

I mean it takes at least a week to 10 days or sometimes more for ball sacks to even be a thing. You gotta lot of time.

I actually keep males around for a few weeks after I know what's what.

The ladies like them and know they are in the house.

Then cull when the sacs getting fatter. That way if you have a nice keeper male you have the oppertunity to do something with him if you want to.

Here is how the subjects in question are looking now.

RPGJ-2022-01-10.JPG

From left to right upgraded to Stax cannisters: X2022:04, Mr. Clean Lite 2019, X2022:00, and X2022:01

As you can see, not counting their baby leaves, they all have 3 levels of growth now

The Mr. Clean Lite is now 5 weeks and 4 days old since it initially sprouted in its germination cup. The X2022 babies are 5 weeks and 2 days.

So, will these Stax containers be of sufficient volume (they are 4x the volume of the 8.5 fluid ounce styro cups they first went into after sprouting), or will they need more space?

I also have Planters Cheese Ball cannisters that are 5x the volume of the styro cups...

RPGJ-2022-01-11.JPG

Would that be enough to allow for cuttings to sex, or do they need more volume? Surely just a normal indoor planter like I do the spiders in should be up to the job, or do I just have to wait until they get planted into their 5 gallon buckets sometime next month?

RPGJ-2022-01-12.JPG

Please do not use single use soft plastics for any plant you will consume. Polystyrene and expanded polystyrene foam or EPS are toxic and will poison any human, animal or plant they come into contact with. Please replace the grow containers with HDPE or other hard safe ceramic, clay and glass containers.

As per a post I made just last night, looks like one of mine was able to show its sex after approximately 2 months, and he is just in a small styro cup for now (getting good at reclaiming these cups and reusing).

However, the "nursery" conditions currently are such that things are just stretching and chasing the light at this point in the projects, meaning far from being able to take cuttings yet. He will be getting revegged and become a house plant. More candidates for query will be shown in the upcoming 2023 journals I am needing to start soon.

The post in question is my Sour Sunset Q I posted in Grow Journals.

Most (possibly all) of the plants from the above posts are long since done, I think.. Not sure if the best looking BSP I currently have going is one of the ones featured in this post...wouldn't be the original, because that one didn't make it due to my carelessness. The Mr. Clean didn't make it either, again, just from my carelessness and neglect).

Going to take a full fledged inventory of all plants and seedlings I have going soon, and see what still remains from last year's projects...

Back
Top Bottom