Old school grower thinking about switching to LEDs

The Bestvas are only drawing 390w each, I just don't see 6 of them covering a 12 x 8 room.
Maybe 8.
3 ft between each light, with each covering about 3ft sq.

I sit year was my last run
What?

How much does it take I've read many times on here where if you're running LED you should have about 50 watts per square foot from the wall. With a 12 x 8 room * 50 would be 4800 watts. Are you new lights going to pull that much power from the wall?

So a 2000w led will not be sufficient enough even for a 4x4 Area
2k equivalent would be plenty for a 4x4. I'm running a 600w equiv Phlizon in my 3x3. I wouldn't want my 600w to be pulling 600 from the wall.

There is very little information to go on in the LED world, and even less that has been standardized so that it makes a lot of sense. I have been looking into making the same conversion you are about to for several years, but only this year took the plunge to see what LED could do. My last grow was a challenge to see what a cheap no name LED light with a decent amount of power could do. In that process, I learned a few things, and I learned how easy and economical it is to DIY a very good COB LED light together, and I built one.
I have recently done some tests and I have determined that this light that I have built is actually a little too powerful and I will have to turn it down just a bit when growing our plants... but I think I have finally dialed in more than enough light for my growing space, without the huge power needs and heat problems of HID.
My research has found that Full Spectrum light appears to be the best, and I have learned about the CRI rating. The closer to 100 that a light gets, the closer it is in replicating the spectrum of our sun. The LED COB chips that I have bought have an incredible CRI rating of 90. This is amazingly good. These lights are efficient too... 500w of actual power and I am maxing out the light... most of the grow I won't need to use that much.
Don't want to DIY? I would look into Timber Grow Lights, one of our sponsors. They produce a light much like what I have just built. Good LEDs are out there, but until we learn more about why they work so well, we really don't have a standard measure to compare the various brands to. You are kind of on your own to figure out what YOU believe is the best light spectrum to use in veg and flower or both, and then you are on your own to figure out which LED technology you want to play with... COB is just one of the choices.
Lastly, this is a hot topic and as you have seen, everyone has their own opinions. Confusion is normal. I did a study of the light pattern and power coming out of my array if you would like to see it... at least I have a standard to go by now, even if no one else does. Good luck on your search!

I took the plunge into the world of LED lighting, and I'm happy I did. However, I did a few months of research before I made up my mind, in fact, that's how I ended up here at 420.

I suggest searching for lights, that you're interested in, in a grow journal here. See the actual results from real users, as most LED companies "fluff" their products. The search engine here at 420 is excellent!

As Emyila suggested, check out our sponsors, as they provide many different options to choose from. Also, keep an eye on them, they have great promotions, sales and giveaways! Goodluck!

Back
Top Bottom