Old Seeds

too old

Recently, an acquaintance provided me with some seeds that he said were old. How old? He figured at least 10 -15 years. His story was that him and his chums grew seeds for the larger commercial growers. True or not, he had a coffee can full of seeds, all packaged and labeled as to the strain. Some packs had one or two seeds, others had dozens to a hundred. Most of the names I recognized, some not, maybe hybrids they tried, who knows.

It took some time, but I finally convinced him to let me have some to try and grow. Going through the assortment, I had picked out six or seven different strains, which he quickly reduced to three. His reason: "those are special". The three that I got were labelled GodBud, Afghani (sp?), and Bubblegum.

On Jan. 28, they all went into the dish with paper towel and into the furnace room. Within 24 hours the Afghani had cracked. After 48, the Afghani had tips showing and the GodBud had cracked and had tips showing. (Still waiting for the Bubblebum. I don't think it is viable.)

I planted them in peat pellets on the 1st of February. By the 8th, they all had true leaves and exceedingly long stems. The stems grew so fast that they could not support themselves. There are pictures tagged to my handle if you want to see them as of this afternoon.

I sure hope that I get both sexes from both strains. It might be fun to try and breed seed plants. I am thinking that this fellow with the seeds may have given me these as a "test" to see if I knew how to grow (which I don't, it seems to be all luck with me). Who knows? Maybe later I can get some "special" ones.

Happy growing all.

If they are stretching too much, lower the light near the seedlings or raise the seedlings closer to the light. What light are you using? CFL's can be an inch or two away at the most, same for T-8's. Don't grow under any incandescent bulbs, you are just wasting seeds and electricity making heat.

All the stretching occurred in the first two or three days. They just wouldn't stop shooting up. They finally settled down and now they are fine, a little leggy, but starting to support themselves. The lights were always there, I think they were just happy to get growing after sitting for so long.

Back
Top Bottom