Old timer newbie needs help with media

dj1714

Hi guys and gals

Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction as what brand of hydroton clay pebbles to use in a ebb and flow system using 9 x9 pots. Have seen some and they all have different reviews as to which ones that float and which ones that are really small in size. I bought a flood kit and it came with viastone. after 3 rinses and it still looking and smelling like a septic tank I'll be putting these in the low spots in the yard.:laughtwo:
Anyway If ya'll can help an old fart out I would appreciate it.
Thanks

Thanks Wally. There are lot of good growers here, Just getting too old to remember what I used to use.

Hopefully someone will come around soon I just germed this past Monday.!!!!

Thanks Rifleman. I Thank you for the reply. Going to order t-mor because a couple of them are in rock wool cubes. (1.5 x 1.5)
Will welcome your opinion.

Thanks!!!!!

Sad day here on the ranch. My bag is plain white, no markings at all except for the hand written price from the store. Sorry for the wait and no real solution for you. Whichever you get be sure to wash them a few times before using the first time, and after each grow. Good luck and feel free to hit me up if you have questions any time. I might be able to give you an answer next time. :biglaugh:

Don't wash then in your sink or tub.... Wouldn't do your drains a bit of good...

Doesn't do the porcelain finish any good either. I use a 27 gallon heavy tote bin and the water hose outside. You'll need a screen or sieve to drain and separate the pebbles from the dust and debris. Once you do it a few times you'll find a method that works best for you.

Thanks for the replies. I have some on the way. I do remember having to wash them before use.
The way I did it was to poke some holes in the bottom and slit the top of the bag and shove the garden hose in and it worked pretty good.
Once again thanks for chiming in.

I use a mesh laundry bag and do a couple gal at a time in a 5gal bucket... You can do that in the tub to contain the splashing... I wash several times and still get grit in the bottom of the grow bucket, especially with new hydroton... The washing itself causes a little grit.... About 20% of all the hydroton will float.. You won't be raising the water high enough to float any of it.

I've had good luck with 40 liter bags of Grow !t clay pebbles. I've found them for as low as $27 online.

They mostly float if you put them in deep enough water BUT as long as you add enough pebbles so that they are about 1 inch above the high water mark, there will be enough pebble weight to keep them from floating around. Very happy w this arrangement in my home built ebb and flow.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom