Old timers - need advice

Inasad

I've been smoking at least once a day for well over a year now, probably 2-3 but I'm not really sure. I've been into weight lifting for a while now and I've decided to take an extended break from marijuana because I've noticed instead of going to the gym or eating something healthy, I'm smoking and sleeping or eating something junky. Anyway, I really want to take a break but I can't seem to convince myself to... I get to the point where I'm just about to run out, then I get EXTREMELY anxious, nervous, and uncomfortable just thinking about the fact that I don't have any to go home to after work...

I'm not saying I never want to smoke again, but the way I react every time I try to take a break is really making me think I need to just stop... I work 60-70 hours a week and right now I have absolutely no social life except for going to the gym, so instead of being motivated to go out and do something, I've been content to just go home and sit with my pipe...

I'm not really sure what I'm asking... Do you guys think it's ok to smoke daily without taking breaks? Do you think you're just kidding yourself if you say yes to that question? Do you think some people just cant handle smoking on a regular basis?

I need advice please!!!!

I think it really depends on the person....i smoke several times a day....every day...the only time i stopped was a rumer was going around we were going to have to take a drop at work...what i'm saying is ...you have to be motivated in some way to stop...if that doesn't come...if you like it...u won't stop and u will get edgey when u try because u can't find a reason to stop...if i'm motivated i have no problem taking a pause for the cause...peace

Yeah that's true, but I know once I stop I won't be as anxious so I guess I'm looking for any tips anyone has for taking your mind off of it when you stop cold turkey. I also have head and back pain literally 24/7 and of course MJ helps more than anything else... so FML

Here is just a thought...
If you are just starting using marijuana..then its effects on how you act think and do are still very new to you.
Stopping smoking/using may make your symptoms remain the same every time you do use.

Try this.... Smoke/use a little less. When your feeling "lazy" not wanting to do anything, just stand up and "self motivate"
Even after 30+ years of using I too will get "couch lock". It is at that point I have to take command of my own actions and just do it. Often times when I do get started on what ever the task/activity I find that I can "get into it" very easily. I do not suggest you skin an animal or go to the gun range etc... but things that are routine to you such as your trips to the gym may become even more enjoyable when have medicated a little first.

Feeling anxious, nervous, and uncomfortable when your about to run out...
Well your not alone there!! I feel the same way, it is my only pain medicine that works for me!!
If you need it for pain try taking the pill form with low THC and high CBD... not much of a high but great pain control. At night when your in for the night take a hit or two to relax.

I dunno.......just my thoughts...for what that's worth

I always appreciate thoughts, that's why I posted :)

I've been smoking on a regular basis for about 4-5 years, but I've only smoked every day (wake&sleep) for the last 1-2 yrs.

Try stopping the wake and bake and just smoke at nights or try smoking or vaping a nice Sativa in the morning and Indica at night, sounds like you've been smoking Indica at both times. Sativa wakes you up, Indica brings you down. Smoking Indica all of the time does not work well with everyone's body chemistry, only some.

I'm sure someone here can help out by explaining the difference of Indica vs. Sativa to him?
:Namaste:

I basically know the difference but I don't know how to tell the difference. The only time I've ever smoked and not gotten tired was when I already had energy to begin with, other than that everything I've ever smoked made me tired eventually. I love sleep, I'm a sleepy person.

You're right about not smoking in the morning, that's really what I need to do but my head hurts so much more in the morning than at night so I always cave.

This might not be bang-on, but I think that sativas look sharper and more defined, while indicas look more fluffy/frosty. So, green and crystaly vs. cotton candy. (btw, this just how I look at it, it might not work for you.)

As far the trouble with motivation, I recomend a small one-hitter more than anything. I have a ceramic chillum that looks like a cigarette, and only fits a small but decent portion of bud. While not enough to get me stoned, it does make me mellow, easy going, lightly high. It's my activity piece.

Hope that helps, best of luck. :smokin:

Oh! Also, drink lots of water when you smoke! Almost a glass for each bowl. Very important.

If you're spending 60-70 hours a week working, I can see why you feel like doing little else. You need a break, not necessarily a break from medication. Maybe stop the evening hits, if the morning gets you out of pain.

Vaporize your weed in the morning to get a higher THC shot and then smoke what's left over at night for a more relaxing sleep and quit working so much you'll be dead soon enough don't rush it nobody really knows if there's anything after this! :peace:

I know where you're coming from. You have already demonstrated will and intent bc you work out. So, instead of telling yourself you're going to quit, tell yourself you're going to use discipline and good judgement. I like to smoke right before bed bc it helps me get a full night of good sleep without nightmares. I am a full time student, wife, and mother. I do not smoke before class, if I have something scheduled at my kids' school, when I need to help family members, or when I know its going to interfere with something I want/need to leave my house for. I don't feel deprived of anything, and I still get to enjoy the occasional wake and bake when it is appropriate, so I am free of any guilt or self disappointment.
Hope this helps.

I basically know the difference but I don't know how to tell the difference. The only time I've ever smoked and not gotten tired was when I already had energy to begin with, other than that everything I've ever smoked made me tired eventually. I love sleep, I'm a sleepy person.

One hesitates to mention it, but commercial Mexibrick is generally sativa or sativa-dominant. Of course it's also often of low quality, full of seeds, dried (or not) in transit, and grown with who knows what fertilizer and pesticides.

Try stopping the wake and bake and just smoke at nights or try smoking or vaping a nice Sativa in the morning and Indica at night, sounds like you've been smoking Indica at both times. Sativa wakes you up, Indica brings you down. Smoking Indica all of the time does not work well with everyone's body chemistry, only some.

I'm sure someone here can help out by explaining the difference of Indica vs. Sativa to him?
:Namaste:

My brother Rob just took the words right out of my head.

A medium potency sativa is certainly the way to go for day time activity/motivation smoke :yahoo:

I kept some bag seed from some cheap mid that had me so jacked up, people thought I was on another kind of drug...I named those seeds "speed weed" and I look forward to growing them out soon...hehehe!!! :peace:

But seriously, this is one of the things I used to write about is that if you have the option of having choices you should try to find something that fits your own personality and needs, something that is tailor made just for you...can you dig?

The beauty of cannabis sativa is that you have two mother strains, Indica which has narcotic/sleepy effects as well as feelings of hunger (the munchies) due to high CDB content and Sativa which is a very alert/energetic buzz (great for daytime activity) due to low CDB content. Both of these "mother strains" have thousands of sub strains of each as well as crosses between each. The rabbit hole goes deep in regards of strains and crosses.

The thing to do is find out where your potency tolerance stands which is to say, some kinds of mj has lower strength/potency and some kinds (especially indica) has very high strength/potency, you just have to find out which suits you better for your life...you do have choices :thumb:

If you live in a mmj friendly state, talk to a local dispensery's "bud tender" about this and a good one will try to fit your personal needs...cool?

I live in GA which has no tolerance and not many choices so I cant steer you but so far on what a bud tender has to offer, but I'm sure they will fix you up :yummy:

I hope this helps my friend...:peace:

I've been smoking at least once a day for well over a year now, probably 2-3 but I'm not really sure. I've been into weight lifting for a while now and I've decided to take an extended break from marijuana because I've noticed instead of going to the gym or eating something healthy, I'm smoking and sleeping or eating something junky. Anyway, I really want to take a break but I can't seem to convince myself to... I get to the point where I'm just about to run out, then I get EXTREMELY anxious, nervous, and uncomfortable just thinking about the fact that I don't have any to go home to after work...

I'm not saying I never want to smoke again, but the way I react every time I try to take a break is really making me think I need to just stop... I work 60-70 hours a week and right now I have absolutely no social life except for going to the gym, so instead of being motivated to go out and do something, I've been content to just go home and sit with my pipe...

I'm not really sure what I'm asking... Do you guys think it's ok to smoke daily without taking breaks? Do you think you're just kidding yourself if you say yes to that question? Do you think some people just cant handle smoking on a regular basis?

I need advice please!!!!

I am only quoting so as to make certain I am addressing the original point. I may be out on the limb here especially because I don't know you and may be reading too much into what you wrote. I apologize if I am wrong, but here goes my analysis. You might be suffering from anxiety. The workload is compounding it. Lack of friends ("no social life") is exacerbating the problem. Lack of friends may be due to excessive work which may be due to anxiety. Fear of problems at work leads to more time at work. Anxiety is usually twinned with depression. You are using pot to self-medicate an underlying problem. You may not be able to stop because it is no longer recreational or the anxiety is not mild. (Some people smoke some to control mild anxiety, but if it becomes too great, 420 won't help because the cycle isn't being broken, you are simply getting intoxicated without relief). It can become a vicious cycle. You may be one of the persons for whom 420 may be very bad. Others eat to relieve the same anxiety (the sugar high).

At the minimum, I strongly suggest you get involved into something social -- a church group (regardless of your religion, I speak generically), civic group (food bank, stamp club, bicycling club, an outdoors club, dancing lessons, whatever). Even just go to a Starbucks and have people around you -- you may strike up a conversation with anyone (male or female). The reason is to meet people and converse with others outside of work. You need to socialize and have friends (this is very hard to do, especially if one has been alone for a while. Like anything else, one can get out of practice and social skills are needed when people can be idiots. Skills used to deal with co-workers can and do differ from how we act with friends).

Secondarily, I urge you to consider professional help -- a psychologist, or talk with your primary doctor (off the record because you don't want him/her writing notes in your file that can be reviewed by an insurance company and spread around (forget HIPPA)). This latter is expensive and is tricky because a lot of counselors are crazy themselves -- but it is like finding an athletic coach for living and trying to get back into trying to have some fun in life. Watch out if the doctor just wants to prescribe medication. That is insufficient -- counseling is needed as part of a behavior modification program. You actually reprogram how your brain thinks and responds to stimulii. Chemicals in your brain will naturally adapt, like production of dopamine. Smoking (or drinking or eating) has to be in balance with other parts of life and if it becomes a substitute for the body's natural circuits, there is a substantial risk of a major crash.

I am really sensing, and I hope I am not incorrectly projecting, that you are too alone in your private life. After all, you wrote, "I get EXTREMELY anxious, nervous, and uncomfortable just thinking about the fact that I don't have any to go home to after work..." Being alone is a killer. Find people you like and get out there! If I am wrong, I apologize, I only wrote this with the best of intentions. Best wishes.

I am only quoting so as to make certain I am addressing the original point. I may be out on the limb here especially because I don't know you and may be reading too much into what you wrote. I apologize if I am wrong, but here goes my analysis. You might be suffering from anxiety. The workload is compounding it. Lack of friends ("no social life") is exacerbating the problem. Lack of friends may be due to excessive work which may be due to anxiety. Fear of problems at work leads to more time at work. Anxiety is usually twinned with depression. You are using pot to self-medicate an underlying problem. You may not be able to stop because it is no longer recreational or the anxiety is not mild. (Some people smoke some to control mild anxiety, but if it becomes too great, 420 won't help because the cycle isn't being broken, you are simply getting intoxicated without relief). It can become a vicious cycle. You may be one of the persons for whom 420 may be very bad. Others eat to relieve the same anxiety (the sugar high).

At the minimum, I strongly suggest you get involved into something social -- a church group (regardless of your religion, I speak generically), civic group (food bank, stamp club, bicycling club, an outdoors club, dancing lessons, whatever). Even just go to a Starbucks and have people around you -- you may strike up a conversation with anyone (male or female). The reason is to meet people and converse with others outside of work. You need to socialize and have friends (this is very hard to do, especially if one has been alone for a while. Like anything else, one can get out of practice and social skills are needed when people can be idiots. Skills used to deal with co-workers can and do differ from how we act with friends).

Secondarily, I urge you to consider professional help -- a psychologist, or talk with your primary doctor (off the record because you don't want him/her writing notes in your file that can be reviewed by an insurance company and spread around (forget HIPPA)). This latter is expensive and is tricky because a lot of counselors are crazy themselves -- but it is like finding an athletic coach for living and trying to get back into trying to have some fun in life. Watch out if the doctor just wants to prescribe medication. That is insufficient -- counseling is needed as part of a behavior modification program. You actually reprogram how your brain thinks and responds to stimulii. Chemicals in your brain will naturally adapt, like production of dopamine. Smoking (or drinking or eating) has to be in balance with other parts of life and if it becomes a substitute for the body's natural circuits, there is a substantial risk of a major crash.

I am really sensing, and I hope I am not incorrectly projecting, that you are too alone in your private life. After all, you wrote, "I get EXTREMELY anxious, nervous, and uncomfortable just thinking about the fact that I don't have any to go home to after work..." Being alone is a killer. Find people you like and get out there! If I am wrong, I apologize, I only wrote this with the best of intentions. Best wishes.

I appreciate the input from everyone...

You really probably hit the nail on the head, but I don't want to give you guys the impression that I have 0 friends. I have friends and family that I socialize with but when I go to work at noon and come home at 10 or 10:30 pm, it leaves very little time to actually go out. Yeah, I have some time, but I'm usually too tired from work to care enough about going out (although I have been going out more often the past few weeks) and it's not easy to hang out with my friends in the morning because they all work normal 9 to 5 day jobs. I work 60-70 hours a week because I'm building a business from scratch, so it takes 100% of my effort. The most socializing I get is when I go to the gym (4 days a week) and I'll go out with a buddy one or two nights a week... but my whole life I've really preferred to be alone the majority of the time, I don't know if it's because I have bad anxiety (never been diagnosed) or because I have headaches all day every day which really take a toll after a while.

You really probably are right about anxiety, and could be right about depression. I don't know how it works exactly, but I know my mother is on medication for some kind of imbalance (tried to kill herself a few months ago, not a very good attempt but she tried nonetheless) and one of my sisters are also on medication for something similar. I have NEVER been the kind of person to ask for help with anything and I will absolutely never see a psychologist of any kind... sorry if that's a little close minded, but I absolutely refuse. My MD actually asked me if I was a "stressful person" a few months ago, and I answered yes but he didn't really take it any further. The entire time I was waiting in his examination room (I had pneumonia at the time, so this could have been anything) I felt like I was going to lose my mind and was seriously contemplating breaking the door down and getting the hell outa there. (I'm not claustrophobic) That's probably the most anxious I've ever felt in my life... started getting hot and very uncomfortable like I wanted to jump out of my skin.

So anyway, there are my thoughts for the day. I haven't been on here in the last couple of months but I'm glad I stopped by! By the way, I actually never really took that break even though I should.

At the very least, I'd like to find a good vaporizer to use so I'm not messing with my lungs as much. Can anyone recommend one that's fast & easy to use?

I wish I could be of assistance. If you ever want to simply chat, simply say "high". (I could not resist the pun.) Well, at least try to smoke only good nugs.

Back
Top Bottom