Oldbear 2019 Outdoor Grow

Oldbear

A big stretch, a couple of yawns, scratch my belly and shake of the head. This Oldbear is waking up after post xmas hibernation. Its time to start getting ready for this year's outside grow. Turn on project brain and plan the plan...

Lets see - Startup

Review last years journal to refresh lessons learned.
Decide on improved soil
Decide what strains and plant types
Figure out plant locations - visibility and stealth considerations
Talk to neighbors about coop gardening.
Watering system options
Schedule: When to start them, When to put in the mini greenhouse, target end date mid September for photos
Can I get 2 auto runs?

Outcome one Big Frosty Nugs: View media item 1628762
One monster plant:

Hi Birdy - so glad you came. :green_heart: Ive been delighted to read things are going well for you and the little birds.

Just getting started here. I'm trying to figure out how I get @Amy Gardner to send me a wallaby to keep an eye on things haha.

Seed choices are limited (unless I buy more).

I have a couple of purchased Northern lights and a NLauto, a dozen or so Blue Dream seeds, and a dozen or so seeds that just showed up in last years harvest.

Enough to get going. The grow plan is to have (at least) 3-node plants ready to go in the mini greenhouse by mid April. Our usual no more frost date third week of May.

I'm going to have to get some heat and lights in a shed.

You rang? :smokin:

I’m in - another outdoor adventure is always an exciting event.

My wallaby said to tell you he’s to old to travel :rofl:

Holy moley oldbear, is that one of your plants? :eek: It’s incredible! I would both love to grow something like that, and not ever want to. I couldn’t manage it! I’d be super happy to walk among such trees tho :yummy:

Looking forward to watching things come along here
:popcorn:

You rang? :smokin:

I’m in - another outdoor adventure is always an exciting event.

My wallaby said to tell you he’s to old to travel :rofl:

Holy moley oldbear, is that one of your plants? :eek: It’s incredible! I would both love to grow something like that, and not ever want to. I couldn’t manage it! I’d be super happy to walk among such trees tho :yummy:

Looking forward to watching things come along here
:popcorn:

Hi Amy well ok I understand too old to travel. Ill have to make due with local critters wanting to eat my plants. There's enough of those around.

Amy that is NOT my plant (or me). I found it on the interweb. I'm using it as inspiration for trying to grow and harvest a monster plant. The concern is finishing time when they are grown that big. Cool, wet, and risk of frost make the time management a thing. But I want to try it at least once. The experiences of our friends growing trees in greenhouses is motivating too. Check out the size of the 'pot' that thing is in. I dont own that much dirt haha.

The deal here in Ontario Canada is under rec cannabis laws I can grow 4 plants at a time. There are no size limits. Also no storage volume limits.

Wallaby....no, Im a Wannabe and I wanna be successful in an outdoor grow, that appeals to me more than a closet grow.
I'll tag along if l may, please.

Hi Mark and welcome. I'm also a wannabe grower. Last years results were ok and I have some lessons learned and 2019 results goals to try and hit. More on that later but raising the bar.

I'm in for the study, making the time and forcing myself to learn and understand that I don't have natural green-fingers so I must read and absorb!.

Thank you for the welcome, Sir.

:thumb:

Whats up today? Oldbear's list of things to play with.

2nd run of whole buds using coconut oil. Thinking about making some edibles using this.

Thinking about soil mixtures. Need to find some recipes.

Moodrocks - cooked buds sprinkled with powdered cob for eating.

Chocolate coated budlettes; chocolate dipped moodrocks.

Gel caps with powdered cob (or finely ground bud), cinnamon, and tumeric - what ratios?

Infused edible oils with lower cannabinoid concentration. This is to get more oil in the system (its good food in its own right) while getting a cannabinoid boost. Multiple strengths and thc/cbd ratios.

This oldbear is suffering from information overload coupled with a bad memory. Ive seen many recipes for organic soil over the past months but I dont remember where they are.

Hi ho Hi ho its off to search I go....

The deal here in Ontario Canada is under rec cannabis laws I can grow 4 plants at a time
Per household or person? When you say "coop gardening", can you grow for others?
Can I get 2 auto runs?
Tough at our latitudes...they never seem to get enough sunlight, even in June/July...I grow one run of autos in the summer just because I can get them finished before the photos flower (my law limits me to flowering plants). If you are limited to a # of plants you will get a much better yield from photos...
Last years results were ok and I have some lessons learned
Always a great place to start...can you refresh our memory from your 2018 grow?
Im contemplating trying to grow on a trellis
I was intrigued for a second, but that image is of a plant growing within a trellis...something I plan to do (better) this summer as well. I thought a tomato cage would be worthwhile, but the plants outgrow them so quickly they lose their functionality. One hugely beneficial aspect of a (larger) trellis is that you can train the branches through the openings as they grow. When they start to get top heavy with buds the trellis will be priceless...

Glad to see you already thinking about summer!

Per household or person?

Per household.

When you say "coop gardening", can you grow for others?

For medical yes with a special permit. Under rec laws a person can grow for one other person. What I'm planning for is that Ill put plants on neighbors properties - at least the ones who want to play. Out at the cabin 2 of 5 so far are good with this.

Tough at our latitudes...they never seem to get enough sunlight, even in June/July...I grow one run of autos in the summer just because I can get them finished before the photos flower (my law limits me to flowering plants).

Experienced this last year. Hoping to have plants in the mini greenhouse mid to end April. Im ok until mid september. I will need to overlap a month.

If you are limited to a # of plants you will get a much better yield from photos...

Yes I agree so there will be a mix of autos and photos I need to figure out.

Always a great place to start...can you refresh our memory from your 2018 grow?

Yes I will post a summary as a reminder to myself.

I was intrigued for a second, but that image is of a plant growing within a trellis...something I plan to do (better) this summer as well. I thought a tomato cage would be worthwhile, but the plants outgrow them so quickly they lose their functionality. One hugely beneficial aspect of a (larger) trellis is that you can train the branches through the openings as they grow. When they start to get top heavy with buds the trellis will be priceless...

Yes like that for the monster plant. Just for fun a 3 to 4 foot plant trimmed and trained to only run sideways is a possibility.

Glad to see you already thinking about summer!

Yes thanks I'm enjoying your winter grow.

Delighted you stopped in. I responded in your text.

Hey Old bear, have you considered growing directly in the ground with a good organic soil? I have very successful grows outdoors with this method.
He grew in the ground last summer.
I am located in Southern Nova Scotia
We are in similar climates...you might even be below me :)

Awesome, I am at roughly 43.75 degrees latitude, one of the more southern spots in Canada. Great for growing , just need to be careful of botrytis since it can get humid here in September during mid flower. i do not do any grow in containers anymore unless i want to harvest seeds .

Back
Top Bottom