OlderStoner - Indoor/Outdoor Grow

DAY 69:

The plants have all been left under the lights with their timers working and it's been on mainly automatic pilot all week. Each one of the plants in veg grew and average of 4" in height in just 5 days. But the nodes and potential bud sites are not that numerous. Each of them has twin colas and the tallest ones are just under 20". I'm going to give them one more week and then all of them will move into flowering.

The male White Widow X was 86'ed and is in the compost pile not. I did cut off as many of the pollen sacks as I could and placed them in a sealed glass container which is being stored in the frig.

The female white widow X is giving me fits. It's grown to a total height of 37", that's another 5" in the last 10 days under 12/12. And the buds seem to be filling in nicely on both of the colas, or all of them I should say. There are two main colas and two additional ones which are growing perpendicular to these. All of the bud sites are growing and looking nice, but I don't see a single trichome yet. The trouble this plant is giving me right now appears to be the soil. And I can say I had to learn a hard lesson with this one. Top soil is a definite no-no if you want to be able to work with the plant. It got a nice feeding last week and the upper leaves seem to be greening up slightly. But that horrible pattern indicating iron or sulphur deficiency it still very apparent. I think we can chalk it up to a lockout due to soil ph. And here is the quandry. No matter how many times I flush it....and it's been flushed three times in the last 36 days, the ph of the run off stays above 7.0. It has come down from 7.5 to 7.2 but I think at this moment you could pour straight battery acid into that pot and that darn soil would pass 7.2 ph run off. The ppm was low at 860 so I gave it a little more of the bloom nutes. But that was after giving it almost 2 gallons of 5.5 ph water. I can only hope the smoke from this one turns out to be worth all the effort, otherwise I have to chalk this plant up on how not to do things. I did take two clones from this one and they are growing well in the FF potting mix. I at least get a second chance with the gene pool in this one.

The Cotton Candy plant is now 24" tall, with twin colas and I have moved it into 12/12. It has given me three clones along the way, one of them is doing nicely, the other two I took from the very bottom branches. And while I did see roots in the bottoms of their grow blocks, the plants are moving at a snails pace under 18/6. However, I do see some signs of growth above the ground. The cotton candy plant was put into soil very similar to the White Widow X female, but it's showing no signs of stress, no yellowing, nothing but nicely shaped, uniformly growing leaves. I hope this one turns out female. Should know in about another 2 weeks or less.

I am finding that the FF Ocean Forest potting soil is an excellent medium to plant those clones. One of the clones from the White Widow feminized plant I call Brenda is so healthy it has top fan leaves that are deep green and as big as my hand. All the clones have now been transplanted into bigger pots, but I won't know how many of them I'll be keeping until I sex their parents. Which won't be for another 2-3 weeks. And space and available light is now a major problem. Unless I get another source of light there will not be enough space and light for all of these plants. But I did this to insure that just in the case that I'm having with the WW X female, that I have something to fall back on.

Now, I picked up a bag of Coco soil and I want to try it out. The people at the hydro shop recommend it and it's supposed to let me get away from this terrible choice I made in soil. In the future, I will never again use anything but FF Ocean Forest or equivalent. The thing is that the cheap potting soil I bought may have been fine for this grow, but it appears that mixing in the top soil 50/50 with it is where I messed up.

I did some more review of this grow, paying especially close attention to the female WW X plant. At 37" tall she is the tallest of all the original plants. I also noted that I moved her into 12/12 on 10/28, which means she's only been in flowering for 3 weeks. As I recall, a plant needs about 8 weeks in flowering so she's got plenty of time to really fill in those colas. I looked at her just now and the bud sites are looking nice but I thought they'd be further along by now, that is until I realized she's only been in 12/12 for only 20 days. The yellowing leaves are still a concern and I think per the charts that King John provided I can blame this as an iron lockout due to the 7.2 ph level in that soil. She got a good dose of the bloom nutes this morning and there are no bad signs after spending the day out in the sunshine and the wind. I have two clones from her coming up well, but right now I'm focused on her because after all is said and done, she is my most promising source for having some buds to smoke sometime around Xmas or New Years Eve. I'm Jonesing for a good buzz if you know what I mean. I just heard the fan motor shutdown so it's the end of the 12 hours for her and the Cotton Candy plant which spent it's first night in 12/12 last night.

I did some more review of this grow, paying especially close attention to the female WW X plant. At 37" tall she is the tallest of all the original plants. I also noted that I moved her into 12/12 on 10/28, which means she's only been in flowering for 3 weeks. As I recall, a plant needs about 8 weeks in flowering so she's got plenty of time to really fill in those colas. I looked at her just now and the bud sites are looking nice but I thought they'd be further along by now, that is until I realized she's only been in 12/12 for only 20 days. The yellowing leaves are still a concern and I think per the charts that King John provided I can blame this as an iron lockout due to the 7.2 ph level in that soil. She got a good dose of the bloom nutes this morning and there are no bad signs after spending the day out in the sunshine and the wind. I have two clones from her coming up well, but right now I'm focused on her because after all is said and done, she is my most promising source for having some buds to smoke sometime around Xmas or New Years Eve. I'm Jonesing for a good buzz if you know what I mean. I just heard the fan motor shutdown so it's the end of the 12 hours for her and the Cotton Candy plant which spent it's first night in 12/12 last night.

In spite of all the troubles I've had with this one, (suspected iron deficiency) she doesn't look too bad for this time in the grow. Some of the pistils are actually already turning pink.

CAM00290.jpg

CAM00295.jpg

CAM00294.jpg

CAM00291.jpg

CAM00296.jpg

She still looks really good for a plant that MAY be deficient. +Reps Older ;)

I think she'll make it to the end of the race, but whether or not it's the "one puff stuff" I'm wanting or just headache weed...that is the question. It's hard to look at her and not see that everything is going to be fine.

I have been using lower ph'ed water but still the run off is 7.2. The other pot in which I mixed the same soil recipe at the same time is doing the same thing. A few weeks ago the run off was a nice lime green color with a ph of 6.5. Then I started using the FF nutes. The water was tap water that i used a few drops of ph Down to get it to 6.5. Now the run off is a rusty brown color and ph is 7.4. This plant is the Cotton Candy strain and it seems to be more resistant to this.

The other thing I should mention is the size of the pot vs the size of the plant. The WW X plant is now 37" tall, twin colas and it's now 9 weeks old. The pot is 12" in diameter and about 12" tall. After seeing the root growth of the clones I'm sure now that I should have chosen bigger pots or started these into flowering much sooner. But I was going for yield and I pushed the envelope. The pots the other plants are in are the same diameter but much deeper. Still I'm moving those into flowering now and hope they won't go through so much stress.

Maybe it's a sign of the time, but today I noticed a shop in a strip center nearby which sells nothing but LED lights. I've got to stop by there this weekend. The vote for MM comes on the ballot in this state next November. I know what I'll be voting for.

DAY 74:

I've been so focused on the female White Widow X that I've let the other White Widow's just remain in veg. They are growing but I can see that I need to begin thinking about their flowering stage soon. And that's going to be a problem with only one 600 Watt HPS light. Now would be a good time to have at least two more lights. But I have to remember that this grow was meant to learn on and supply myself with a little holiday smoke.

The strange thing that happened tonight was that I noticed the big female has started to get yellow leaves in it's lower part. This was expected as it's in the 4th week of flowering. And it's probably more pronounced than it needed to be because I've been so afraid to put any more nutes in that pot. This pot was spitting out 7.4 ph run off no matter how low I made the water I put in it. But tonight I stuck the moisture rods all the way in and it was very dry. The leaves were showing some signs of the plant being thirsty. I did not give it any water this week because it was soaking wet on Sunday after I gave it a full watering last Saturday. I gave it a good dose of nutes tonight including 1/8 tsp of ChaChing as per the FF feeding schedule. The buds on it are filling out but I'm hoping that 3-4 more weeks should get this thing into the home run series. It is still showing stress from the earlier lockout from the high ph. But tonight the run off water was 6.5 and it was a light green color, not the rusty brown color it was last weekend. I wish I had watered at least a little during the week, but I was so afraid of over watering I just let it alone. The lower ph gives me some hope that the nutes I put in tonight will get used properly. And I read 1460 ppm. At this stage in the flowering I'm hoping that's about right.

Now the Cotton Candy plant is also in flowering and it's showing signs that it will be female. Like the White Widow X I can see what looks like pistils in there but it's so bushy that nothing can be confirmed yet, even using a 30x lens. This plant is very healthy looking but just like that other pot, the run off is now a ruddy brown color and 7.2 ph. The water I used to feed it tonight was 5.8 ph and it contained the same nutes that I gave the White Widow X. I hope to confirm that this one is female very soon. I have three clones from this one going. One of them is almost a foot tall, the other two are only about 3" right now and just getting started.

I have too many plants for the space and way too many for the available light sources. I know I will have to start culling them. There just won't be enough light to do what I have in there. But it's better to have too many and get to choose which ones to keep...you know. The cloning has gone well, especially when I use the Grodan grow blocks. I could have literally hundreds of clones right now but I've kept the number down for the same limits I've listed here.

Tomorrow I will move all the plants out for maintenance again. They will not go outside except for maybe a few of the smaller ones. They are far too big now and the possibility of discovery by neighbors or worse is just too high. A police helicopter flew over the neighborhood the other day kind of low and I was lucky that nothing was out in the yard sunning. I will take plenty of photos tomorrow when the lighting is right and post those.

Now, one last thing. That male white widow X clone that I stuck in the ground in the backyard is really starting to take off and I've only been pouring the run off from the other plants on it and letting it get sunshine and it rained a lot yesterday. But outside of that I'm just experimenting with what will happen to it. About 11 years ago I let a female clone take off the same way in this same yard. After 9 months it was 13 feet tall and had buds all over it. But alas, it was a wasted effort. You could get a small buzz on it but that was about it. And I literally had gallon size baggies filled with it that I ended up throwing away. This male might be able to produce some more pollen. And you never know. It might surprise me.

Hey Older, everything is sounding just about right. Those yellowing leaves are normal at this time of flowering, but it should not escalate past the lower part of the plant until your last two weeks or so of flowering. I'm a big fan of letting my soil REALLY dry out in between waterings this late in flowering. I go by a technique that Arjan from Green House Seeds Co. uses, where they let their flowering plants to get REALLY dry which in turn, according to them (and some logic), forces the plant to react to the dryness by producing more resin in order to lock up as much moisture as possible.

In your case, I really think letting the soil dry out as long as you did can also really ensure that your lady is using all the available nutrients in the soil before the next feeding. This will help you in your fight against lockouts in the future as well.

As for your 1 600w HPS! That is more than fine to flower 3-4 plants and still produce a decent yield. Don't stress over your lighting arrangements this time around Older, as you are doing a a great job and should still be able to produce some great smoke. The lighting will definitely not be the deciding factor on whether or not your harvest will be potent. It is the deciding factor on how airy and fluffy your buds might be (less light, like CFL penetration) compared to what they could be, which is denser, heavier buds (light penetration of a HID).

So all in all, when it comes down to lights, I stick by the watts per square foot rule, rather than the amount of plants under it. It basically states that the optimal amount of light a plant needs to undertake photosynthesis is at a range of 5owatts per square foot. IF you would want more info on this theory and a set of guidelines, I'll be happy to post them on here, just say the word :high-five:

With the way things are going Older, I can certainly see a SCROG (screen of green) in your future. Once your first harvest is cut and dried, I suggest you look into setting up a a trellis over your ladies you put into flower next. That's when you will REALLY be able to take full advantage of that one 600w HPS you have at your disposal. Plus with your carpentry skills, I'm sure a trellis wouldn't be bother to make ;)

Check my journal in my signature if you are interested in the power of the SCROG and how I built my trellis in a 4' x 2' tent!

Doing maintenance today. Lugging these heavy pots around is a pain. Now I understand why people go hydro.

I'm wondering about one thing though. This big female is a white widow. I remember it being some of the most potent pot I've ever smoked that's why I chose it. I would have thought that by now, 4 weeks into flowering, this plant would have started showing more trichomes. I can see them on the bud hairs, which are still mostly all white. But I don't see any of them on the leaves. I was hoping to soon start seeing that frosty look that I thought this plant would exhibit.

Sadly this is what every grower must experience. With all the different strains out there now, being cloned and bred and back-crossed, etc. there will be an uncountable amount of phenotypes for the same strain. It's more than likely that the phenotype Whit Widow that you smoked back in the day is completely different than this on you are growing specifically!

Now with that being said, I am currently JUST behind you in terms of flowering. I am 3 and 1/2 weeks into my flowering schedule and I have two different strains growing. I have one bagseed from a brick of weed I had bought for $60 an oz, and I have a Bubblelicious plant that I bought at $60 per 10 seeds. I obviously have payed most of my attention to the bought strain, but to my surprise, the bagseed, which is had a full month less to veg than the Bubb, IS COVERED IN TRICHOMES. Literally thee first week of flowering produced so many that the leaves are now turning white. Now since I first noticed this, the Bubb has only NOW started to produce trichomes, and not nearly at the same rate as the bagseed. It is getting there, but it is only covering a very small portion of the leaves and hasn't really spread past the pistils.

I bring this up because based on characteristics, the bagseed is a highly Indica dominant strain, if not 100%. However, the Bubb is a hybrid of Sativa and Indica, with a lot of Sativa dominant traits. Based on experience so far, and on other peoples journals, Sativas take the longest to fully mature in caparison to Indicas. This might be the explanation in why both of our Sativa dominant strains are currently lacking in the Trichomes department. I wouldn't lose hope yet though Older, as we both have nearly 1 month, give or take a week or 2, for all these natural processes to occur. This would be the WRONG time to increase flowering nutrients in hope for more trichome production. Remember K.I.S.S. ;)

>>> Doing maintenance today. Lugging these heavy pots around is a pain. Now I understand why people go hydro.

Although the heavy lifting might be out of the equation, TRUST ME, the amount of maintenance that is required for hydro constantly stresses me out. But is only expected when FIRST jumping into it. I have faith that after this first hydro grow under my belt, I will be growing with very few hitches from now on :laughtwo:

I obviously have payed most of my attention to the bought strain, but to my surprise, the bagseed, which is had a full month less to veg than the Bubb, IS COVERED IN TRICHOMES. Literally thee first week of flowering produced so many that the leaves are now turning white. Now since I first noticed this, the Bubb has only NOW started to produce trichomes, and not nearly at the same rate as the bagseed.

To give a little visual reference of what I am talking about above ;) I think you'll be able to tell which is which!

20131123_082406.jpg
20131123_082444.jpg

Very cool.... I just hope the smoke turns out to be what I refer to as "one puff stuff". That is you can take one hit of a joint and it's all over. Just sit back and enjoy the movie. And those are the kind of joints which last me a week, not gone in one night unless some friend share it with me.

Now, for more great discoveries this morning...I'm 99% sure the Cotton Candy plant is female. I see pistils in there. I have to use my 30x lens and get down on some of the lower branches, but I'm 99% sure this baby is a girl. I can be 100% and then 110% sure in a few more days, perhaps even as soon as tomorrow. And I have three clones from her growing at various stages. That's even better. I think I should grab at least two more clones while I'm still in the early stage of flowering with her. Today is her 7th day in 12/12. Now I will most certainly cross one of those clones with some of the pollen which came from that White Widow X male that I 86'ed and I also still have it's clone out in the backyard. It's proving to be very hardy against the elements and it's pouring down rain out there right now. I'll check on him...I think I'll call him Rocky, later tonight after these showers ease up.

DAY #79

Will only be a short report for now. Just got off work and got four peaceful days of canibus cultivation to enjoy. The Cotton Candy plant is now officially on record as female. Plus, one of the white widow feminzed is living up to it's rep...I just confirmed pistils on her. The mother plant (Brenda) is in one of the pots with what turned out to be a poor choice on my part for soil. They've grown to about 24" tall but are very sparce. Still the clones I've taken from them are showing great promise in the right soil mix. Will try a couple of pots using Coco starting this weekend as well.

Now the question I have tonight is this FF Ocean Forest soil has obviously been tweaked to just the right levels when it was bagged at the factory. The clones I've placed in this stuff are growing very vigorously and they are a deep, dark green color so I know there's N to the hilt in the mix. I have not placed any nutes in any of these pots, only 6.5 ph'ed tap water which always sits for at least 36 hours to reduce the amount of chlorine. So how do I now keep that soil with the right nutes? I'm using the FF regime which was shown in the earlier posts of this thread. And anyone who's followed along knows I had some troubles. I want to spend less time worrying about plants this time. The pots have been in action for a little over 3 weeks now. As per the directions on the bag it said not to give it any nutes for at least 30 days so they've received nothing but water.

DAY 82:

I've been able to confirm that all, ALL, remaining plants are female. Out of seven original seeds, only one of them turned out to be male. All of the White Widow Feminized seed turned out female, so far no hermies. And the amazing thing about this hobby is that in just those same 82 days, I've been able to clone my total number of plants from seven to 23.

The large White Widow X which germinated first is about 3-4 weeks away from harvest. I finally see tichomes on her but only deep inside the buds. I don't see them in abundance like you would on some plants. Perhaps this one is just biding it's time. This plant is also a much yellower color than the other plants. It had to be either something with this mix of soil or this strain because the other plants all received similar treatments and none of them have exhibited the yellowing this one has. In flowering I'd expect this but remember this plant was yellowing long before it went into 12/12. Anyway, here is a shot of it next to the cotton candy which is now in 12/12 and showing her buds. The cotton candy plant is much greener and healthier looking.

S7301945.JPG

And as previously referenced, the Cotton Candy plant has shown it's sex too and it's a female. Man I really hit the jackpot on this batch of seeds. And I have some of the pollen sacks from the White Widow X male plant which I'll cross at least one of the Cotton Candy clones with. I have three of them going well, another two under the clone dome, which I'm afraid may be a loss this time. The clones are all turning pale yellow and after a week now, I'm not seeing any roots at the bottom of the grow blocks. The buds on this strain are not like any other buds I've ever seen. They are of course recognizable as buds, but they are concise and compact in structure. Wonder what they will look like at harvest time? This Cotton Candy is a good strain for breeding. It's got close node spacing, very rigorous as it stood up to the same treatments which crapped out the White Widow X strain. And it's grown very symmetrically. Would like to have some more just like her...in fact I do with 3, possible 5 clones taken from her before she went into 12/12. And I can still clone the clones if needed.

S7301950.JPG

If all goes well, looks like I can take my first toke from the White Widow X plant in 4-5 more weeks, or right about New Year's Eve.

Back
Top Bottom