OldManJJ Grows Again!

My soil guy The Rev has something he does related to this but not exactly the same method. I think he's got a work in progress with it. Here's some of what he's said:
"
Howdy amigo. Yeah, a great question there homeslice. First, let me say that I am still messing with the whole dimming thing big. I have only been doing it for a few runs now, but in that time, I have observed some cool things. I also have only recently learned about that lighting control panel from my buddy Jarrod, over at NextLight. It sounds awesome, and the price seems decent as well.

I actually began dimming my lights at the end of the plants’ day due to high temperatures. So, the next morning when the lights came on, they would still be dimmed until I raised the power levels. This is an awesome countermeasure to high temps. I also noticed a really nice benefit from this move as well regarding terpene expression. My plants (genetics I am highly familiar with) were extra stinky and tasty, by a definitely noticeable amount. The overall elegance/smoothness of the smoke was also kicked up a notch.

The automated control panel will start your plants out dimmed and end them dimmed just like Mother Nature does in the outdoors. I always tend to trust Mother Nature, so this is a no-brainer for me. The panel will also dim the lights if temperatures get too high, a super cool automation indeed. Let me show you how I do the whole (non-automated) dimming thing these days.

Rev’s Dimming Schedule Details​

• My plants flower on a photoperiod of 12/12 (12 hrs. ON/12 hrs. OFF) unless they are landrace sativas.
  • I dim my lights to about 50% power approximately 30 minutes before lights out. When lights come on in the morning, I allow them to remain at 50% for the first 30 minutes.
  • I also use the dimming feature if the ambient temperatures get too high. I also use the 50% power setting for this purpose."
I haven't done any of it.
Wow you’re killing it with the thought provoking info! This is another. Hmm…

It's interesting for sure. Just yesterday in a discord server I'm on, a member said that during the last 2 weeks of his run, he will dim his lights. I will ask him about it and see if he will explain the why and the benefits of doing so. I have often thought about getting a controller for my lights but, I'm cheap and don't want to spend the $$. Maybe this line of thought with dimming the lights will open my wallet :p

Update:

The girls are humming along nicely. They will be transplanted and flipped to flower in about 2 weeks. First they will get a little haircut and some cuttings for clones will be taken.
The SCROG support is now in and ready to go once the girls get transplanted and have time to recover from it.

Big Tent

Small Tent

I'm not happy with the Northern Lights clone, still. I'm going to smack my brother upside the head when I see him this weekend for taking that cut!!

It's interesting for sure. Just yesterday in a discord server I'm on, a member said that during the last 2 weeks of his run, he will dim his lights. I will ask him about it and see if he will explain the why and the benefits of doing so. I have often thought about getting a controller for my lights but, I'm cheap and don't want to spend the $$. Maybe this line of thought with dimming the lights will open my wallet :p
I think I’m going to try it in the 3x3 with the Banana Sherbet, depending on how much of a light whore she is. If she’s normal, we’ll lower the ppfd to like 800 say, and finish the last two weeks about there. Would that qualify as less light? I Norma would go around 1200.

Update:

The girls are humming along nicely. They will be transplanted and flipped to flower in about 2 weeks. First they will get a little haircut and some cuttings for clones will be taken.
The SCROG support is now in and ready to go once the girls get transplanted and have time to recover from it.

Big Tent

Small Tent

I'm not happy with the Northern Lights clone, still. I'm going to smack my brother upside the head when I see him this weekend for taking that cut!!

Is that the smaller plant? I agree. I’d start another something else and grow that sweet one out big. It’s a Northern Lights, they’re a dime a dozen. :laugh:

Interesting Otter! Though there is a big difference between cutting the lights 50% for the last few weeks versus cutting them 50% for 30 minutes twice every 12 hours of light. That definitely more closely resembles twilight in the winter.

I can hear them from here!

Still don't see the problem. :)
Yeah big difference. Me neither:)

I think I may be headed down a rabbit hole....LOL @Jon will find this interesting.

Decent article plus a free PAR app and an online calculator for DLI.

Based on my initial readings at 80% and 100% output on my current lights, my DLI is 26.6 and should be 40.

Having said that, I kept my lights the way they are now on all of my runs. The very first one, yielded very well. Seems I may have to look at lowering my lights as that's the only way my DLI will come up. The question is, what difference will it really make? We may just have to find out. Since the app is in beta, I am not sure about the PAR results using the camera on my phone. Maybe it's time for a PAR meter.

I think I may be headed down a rabbit hole....LOL @Jon will find this interesting.

Based on my initial readings at 80% and 100% output on my current lights, my DLI is 26.6 and should be 40.

Having said that, I kept my lights the way they are now on all of my runs. The very first one, yielded very well. Seems I may have to look at lowering my lights as that's the only way my DLI will come up. The question is, what difference will it really make? We may just have to find out. Since the app is in beta, I am not sure about the PAR results using the camera on my phone. Maybe it's time for a PAR meter.
Heh. Well, there is. It’s called foxtails. Lmao

On another note, check out my Tomatoes. These were all grown with recycled Michigan Mediums soil and Geoflora nutrients. The dude at the grow store said they'd get big, he wasn't lying! All these were started from seed.

Whoa! I’ve wondered about growing tomatoes with Geo. Wow. May do it in a tent for my mom. Those are huge and beautiful.

Nice download! I've been hearing a lot on this subject and haven't been able to figure how to implement it. Now I can take a good look! Thanks! Tommies love Geoflora! I grew em last year in it.

Whoa! I’ve wondered about growing tomatoes with Geo. Wow. May do it in a tent for my mom. Those are huge and beautiful.
They were started in the 5x5 tent, I see no reason why you couldn't run them in a tent. Very similar requirements to our favored crop!

Ok, update time!

Things are humming along nicely in the garden. The girls are all transplanted, scrogged and almost ready to flip. I say almost because, well, there were some hopefully minor problems to correct. As I was getting ready to transplant, I noticed a problem on one of the clones I received from my brother. The dreaded powdery mildew. Perhaps the humidity went up too high during lights out, who knows. Maybe I should invest in a controller but, with the price of boat gas and my love of the water, it's not a high priority. Especially being that this is the first time I have encountered something like this in my garden.

On a positive note, I can't say enough good things about T-Drops, I have been adding 2-3 drops at every watering during this grow and the annoying little black bugs are not liking it!!

Before transplant:

Oh crap!

After transplant:

@StoneOtter The t-drops are for pest control.

"T Drops is a highly effective PEST CONTROL solution for every gardener growing any type of plant in any type of system. Use Tanlin as a preventative or as part of your integrated pest management to ensure a clean pest-free garden. It is non-toxic, safe to humans, animals and the environment."

I have noticed a very significant drop in fungus gnats since I started using them.

Note the sticky trap in this picture (current grow)

vs this sticky trap (previous grow)

And this one gives a better picture

Back
Top Bottom