OldManJJ's Auto Flower Experiment

oldmanjj

Ok, since my small tent is sitting idle waiting for the other ladies to complete veg, I decided to run an auto flower experiment to see how well Michigan Mediums soil holds up on the long haul.

In a 7 gallon pot we put ~ 1/2 bloom mix on the bottom, ~ 1/2 veg mix on top. When adding the veg mix, we placed a solo cup in the pot to create a hole for the start mix, ~ 18 oz.

We planted 2x OG Kush from Sonoma Seeds on 7/7 (Lucky for me I can buy seeds locally)

Seed info:

Type: Indica – dominant, Autoflowering
Genetics Parents: ChemDawg x Hindu Kush
Flowering Period: 10 -12 Weeks
Climate: Temperate / Sunny / Mediterranean
Yield: 250 – 400g/m² indoor / 60 – 150g outdoor
Flavors: Citrus, Pine, Pungent, Lemon
THC Level: 24%
CBD Level: 0.7%
Height: 80 – 180 cm
Harvest Period: All Year
Growing Difficulty: Yes

Here are the girls as of this morning:

Ok, since my small tent is sitting idle waiting for the other ladies to complete veg, I decided to run an auto flower experiment to see how well Michigan Mediums soil holds up on the long haul.

In a 7 gallon pot we put ~ 1/2 bloom mix on the bottom, ~ 1/2 veg mix on top. When adding the veg mix, we placed a solo cup in the pot to create a hole for the start mix, ~ 18 oz.

We planted 2x OG Kush from Sonoma Seeds on 7/7 (Lucky for me I can buy seeds locally)

Seed info:

Type: Indica – dominant, Autoflowering
Genetics Parents: ChemDawg x Hindu Kush
Flowering Period: 10 -12 Weeks
Climate: Temperate / Sunny / Mediterranean
Yield: 250 – 400g/m² indoor / 60 – 150g outdoor
Flavors: Citrus, Pine, Pungent, Lemon
THC Level: 24%
CBD Level: 0.7%
Height: 80 – 180 cm
Harvest Period: All Year
Growing Difficulty: Yes

Here are the girls as of this morning:

Hello @oldmanjj how are things on the west coast.
Great start to your journal.
You list sunny Mediterranean as climate but they are in a tent.
Are you moving them outside?
You say we have you got an assistant?
Those 7 gal pots look extraordinarily wide, just curious how deep are they?
Hope its ok if I pull up a chair and follow along.
Happy growing my friend.
Bill

Bill, happy to have you along. I can't speak to the west coast as I'm in Michigan!

The climate part is just what was listed in the description. They won't be moved outside, I have a small yard and I'm old school meaning very few people know I grow. My assistant is my lovely wife.

I will measure the 7 gallon pots and let you know.

Bill, happy to have you along. I can't speak to the west coast as I'm in Michigan!

The climate part is just what was listed in the description. They won't be moved outside, I have a small yard and I'm old school meaning very few people know I grow. My assistant is my lovely wife.

I will measure the 7 gallon pots and let you know.
I apologize for my confusion my friend. :Namaste:
I'm glad you have a trusted helper.
My missus helps trimming, probably because she takes pity on me.
Its so much work doing it properly.
But everything else is my own doing unfortunately.
I'd love a grow partner.:love:
I'm glad you both enjoy our little hobby.
Bill

Ok, here we are 9 days later and not much progress. These girls seem to be saying, JJ, you're too new at this to keep us happy in such a large container. I have been doing my best to follow @Emilya and her awesome watering instructions but, it seems the girls aren't happy. In fact, the one on the right seems to be cannibalizing the cotyledon's.

Any ideas?

OK, I know I haven't updated this as much as my other Journal but, not a lot is happening.

The Auto flower experiment is doing well for one plant, the other plant, not so much. It appears that I either did a few things that one REALLY didn't like or it was a weak seed. Either way if the 2nd plant doesn't show signs of improvement by the weekend, it will be eliminated (we're running out of space quickly).

Hi oldmanjj, it's Jon, I saw your comment in my journal so I checked out yours. Looks like you're off to a great start, mind if I pull up a chair? That one plant looks exactly perfect. The other isn't that bad, just looks a bit runtish. I agree with someone else who said give her a bit. Sometimes the runts will really surprise you. If you don't mind me addressing something you said a few posts ago - I have to agree with you. Sure, you can make it work if you know how to water to start in the finish container. But I have found I have way better results up-potting/transplanting. The idea that you shouldn't transplant an auto is 100% garbage and a lie. In my humble opinion, one SHOULD. I do every single time. You'll have a more established rootball every step of the way. The Chunkadelic went from a one gallon starter pot to the five you see her in now. And if you want to use a seven, I would recommend starting in a smaller pot and up-potting next time. Just my experience for what it's worth. I would suggest to you that with autos, considering their life cycle, it probably wouldn't be very good to start in a larger pot than a one gallon, as the plant would maybe start budding before you got it transplanted. The Chunkadelic didn't go into the five till she was 20-something days old cuz that's how long it took to fill the one gallon with roots. It will also help you to hone in more accurately on when a plant of whatever size needs water. I also use Emilya's watering methodology, and I learned the most when I went Dixie Cup to one gallon pot to five gallon pot.

Hope that has some value. I'll be following along! Thanks!

Hi oldmanjj, it's Jon, I saw your comment in my journal so I checked out yours. Looks like you're off to a great start, mind if I pull up a chair? That one plant looks exactly perfect. The other isn't that bad, just looks a bit runtish. I agree with someone else who said give her a bit. Sometimes the runts will really surprise you. If you don't mind me addressing something you said a few posts ago - I have to agree with you. Sure, you can make it work if you know how to water to start in the finish container. But I have found I have way better results up-potting/transplanting. The idea that you shouldn't transplant an auto is 100% garbage and a lie. In my humble opinion, one SHOULD. I do every single time. You'll have a more established rootball every step of the way. The Chunkadelic went from a one gallon starter pot to the five you see her in now. And if you want to use a seven, I would recommend starting in a smaller pot and up-potting next time. Just my experience for what it's worth. I would suggest to you that with autos, considering their life cycle, it probably wouldn't be very good to start in a larger pot than a one gallon, as the plant would maybe start budding before you got it transplanted. The Chunkadelic didn't go into the five till she was 20-something days old cuz that's how long it took to fill the one gallon with roots. It will also help you to hone in more accurately on when a plant of whatever size needs water. I also use Emilya's watering methodology, and I learned the most when I went Dixie Cup to one gallon pot to five gallon pot.

Hope that has some value. I'll be following along! Thanks!
Yep, I start small and up-pot and don't see any detriment whatsoever
Bit strong to suggest it's a lie though Jon, if that's the way some people see it

Yep, I start small and up-pot and don't see any detriment whatsoever
Bit strong to suggest it's a lie though Jon, if that's the way some people see it
Just sharing my experience cuz I thought you said you started right in the 7. I must have missed the uppotting part, sorry...

The suggesting it's a lie was a colloquialism just to say that to say "you shouldn't uppot an auto" or "never transplant an auto," as many many online sources would have you believe, is simply not true. Anyone can transplant an auto any way they want with zero repercussion and zero slowing down of the plant. So like I said, I wasn't trying to affect what you do, and if I hadn't missed the uppotting part I wouldn't have made the suggestion. But strong or not, those statements are simply not true, ie, lies. I'll keep my two cents to myself.

Welcome aboard Jon, I'm glad to have you and your two cents!

Like i said, this was an experiment. I have concluded that my next experiment will be starting in smaller pots and transplanting my next auto run. I think it will work out better but we shall see, it will be fun regardless.

Information overload has our heads spinning at times but, with the help of experienced growers here, we will get it sorted out.

@Growings I picked the information about not transplanting autos somewhere, again, information overload. Next time, I'll start smaller and transplant. Based on my limited experience, its much more manageable for me.

Just sharing my experience cuz I thought you said you started right in the 7. I must have missed the uppotting part, sorry...

The suggesting it's a lie was a colloquialism just to say that to say "you shouldn't uppot an auto" or "never transplant an auto," as many many online sources would have you believe, is simply not true. Anyone can transplant an auto any way they want with zero repercussion and zero slowing down of the plant. So like I said, I wasn't trying to affect what you do, and if I hadn't missed the uppotting part I wouldn't have made the suggestion. But strong or not, those statements are simply not true, ie, lies. I'll keep my two cents to myself.
No worries Dude
Always happy to read people's two cents, it's always worth a lot more than that :peace:

No worries Dude
Always happy to read people's two cents, it's always worth a lot more than that :peace:
Glad you feel that way. My post was to oldmanjj, but your response is appreciated too. Thanks. Lol.

Welcome aboard Jon, I'm glad to have you and your two cents!

Like i said, this was an experiment. I have concluded that my next experiment will be starting in smaller pots and transplanting my next auto run. I think it will work out better but we shall see, it will be fun regardless.

Information overload has our heads spinning at times but, with the help of experienced growers here, we will get it sorted out.
It's cool man, I wasn't all butthurt about it or anything, just missed some info I guess. Probably stoned. Lol. Sounds like you have things under control.

Well if you got the space let her go not all slow starters end up being $%"£.Might end up with some great bud and as your not going to replace her shame yo waste the light/space.Call it an experiment. :)

Back
Top Bottom