Oldnoob's First Grow: Starting From Scratch!

OK dr.

I'm going to ask you a tough one now. Air circulation is exactly what I am concerned with right now. I know I need to provide enough air exchange to keep the plant(s) healthy and growing but outside air is going to be cold and dry.

I have provided large ports(?) for air in at the bottom of one wall

IMG_033353.JPG

Installed a 1000W heater on its own circuit w/ a wall thermostat controller (thank the gods power's cheap here)

and a vent out in the ceiling (framed off if I need to add door control later)

IMG_033459.JPG

Thats the HID ballast I installed as high as I could - out of the way
There's a shelf on the wall under the ballast. Got a small / travel humidifier there. When I was done with the work today:

IMG_033563.JPG

Now the tough part. How can i bring in enough air? its going to take too much heat to exchange a couple times an hour by my figuring. Don't know if this will work but even with NO air circulation, this week will test the heating. Gonna get cold

Well short of heating the whole building...prolly just add a fan in the room to circulate the air and enhance your passive air exchange...I have the same type of set up and one of the reasons I pack it in for the winter, is it would cost a small fortune to heat the out building...that, and we like to go south for a couple months...lolool...cheerz...h00k...:hookah:

try this link,,

How To Put A Link To Your Grow In Your Sig

cheers friend, heya from out west way

best karma sent to yer wee one,,s

the best start you could possibly have is now possible because of the plethora of folks willing to help out,, with anything and everything

mold, yuk, i am dealing with a tiny mold issue now,, grow rooms are traditionally moist, and drywall, unsealed, and i am talking the ends, drywall is a sponge, a potential issue for sure,, watch the cold too pls, at night,, dipping into the teens seems to promote hermies, in my experience, amongst a million other things that can cause hermies.

when you go to dark proof your flowering room, make sure it is dark,, not nearly dark, not even close to dark,, dark. one needs to sit in that room with lights out for at least five minutes to check for light, unless one is growing autos of course, i guess, silly me, you probably might be,, seems everyone is doing it these days

i will enjoy tagging along with a fello nuck,, and i don't mean a fello, i mean a fello nuck

cheers to you ,, because of all the other posters, you are in good hands friend

Thanks h00k, i'd like to be able to wait till spring. Just had an inspiration! Get a good plant selected and plant a few clones in the back 40 come spring…..

Be a long time to wait for my own green though….

Hi nivek

thanks for looking in. You would be able to appreciate my concerns about mould living where you do mate. This might end up being rebuilt in a year or two if that becomes an issue. Don;t need that problem.

Dark is np. Room seals tight. Done a lot of construction over the decades….
After reading half a dozen of these other threads, i wish i had a 1200 square foot basement to play with. Some of these folk are growing amazing plants. Mind boggling. Of course, i'd also need a huge budget too:woohoo:

just a note,, my grow room is in an outbuilding as well,, totally diy,, there might be something in my first journal that could help,, lotto reading, i get it,, journals so spread out like they be,, but i have near exact the same setup now as i did when i built it two years ago now,, i keep thinking how i could renovate to improve but come up with no ideas, other than makin it bigger, haha

my air intake is a cracked window in the room attached to my grow room,, then vents into my grow space, and exhausted from there to outside

every situation is unique,, thank goodness,

cheers

btw,, kelowna is a very rh dry area,, i struggle to keep my humidity in my grow space into the 30's,, and my plants seem to do ok, not exceptional, tho improving,, but i am just pointing out that lower humidity can be worked with, and i do have a humidifier too, two even, sorta, still low

Thanks for the advice nivek. Read your journal and got lots of ideas. I'm starting to think that I may model my little garden after yours. Something small scale and not a big job to maintain. I really am intrigued by the double tier system you did. Is that working well still? Also was wondering if you're still using the same nute system?:thedoubletake: Really like the low cost!

We are beginning a major cold snap right now so I am monitoring the temps through this week till the weather breaks. If I can maintain the temps high enough (and does that ever seem to go against the general sentiment) then the next step will be some ventilation i think. Rh is very low. When i get out there to refill the humidifier its always back to 20%. Is RH in that range detrimental or just not ideal?

I suspect that ventilation will only make this an even bigger problem but then thats what this journal is all about. Working things out with tips from the community.

Heya friend,, glad my journal gave you some ideas..

The two tier system works just fine,, the lower level is a bit tough to work in up close and personal,, i am a small guy and sorta fit and i contort myself a bit sometimes, ha, with my small plants I find the elevation just perfect, I guess I make the space fit rather than the space being the perfect size. I have an led light up top, small one for the small size and cfl panel down below. Seven spots for plants and my perpetual system keeps em all full, most of the time

This is the latest pics from both levels,

That is my lower level,

The upper level, not showing much besides plants,, three plants up there, led light about twenty inches above.

Yes to the fert q, urine is the worlds most perfect fertilizer, a tonno info on that

I use a 1/50 or so solution for foliar spraying my veg plants, they love it, and a 1/15 solution for all my veg watering and i dilute a bit more for flowering watering. I do use other nutes as well

Humidity a huge problem here as,well, I struggle to get into the thirties, near impossible,, i simply put up with it, I have two humidifier systems going now, nothing else,gets plugged in here, I have three heaters going in here already.

Pls, whatever direction you go, pay special heed to any electrical work you might need to do,, that is not the area of construction to mess with,, strictly by the book. Plenty of folks on here can help with electrical

I look forward to watching your progress,, karma sent friend,,

Cheers fer now

Pull up a stump LabMan.:welcome: It's not going to be fast paced but we'll probably solve a couple problems :thumb:
Keep listening and you'll pick up on the nutes…..

Hi again nivek, thanks for lighting the trail….

The pics helped a lot. You have a two tier flower section, right? I was thinking of a flower section above a veg chamber - at least on one side. I've acquired a couple decent lights: the old hid in the pics above and a couple older Mars/Hydro 400's (80x5w). (Think the led's are only about 160 or 180 true watts) But both need room above the canopy. If you don't mind, could you show or tell me what your veg and starter section looks like? I'm wondering if I would be able to put it under a flower chamber.

Incidentally, I was wondering about going with a scrog and after looking at yours i'm leaning that way even more. Hope you don't mind if i truly do copy your closet plans…..

Update on the temperature issue:

Last night's low was -20C but closet low only 19.6C. Think I might be able to proceed if I can keep a 40C difference!
Also put a small ceramic fan in case the temp drops too low and the lights run at night. Best i can do.

Got two out of three going. First up looks good but #2 is looking a bit pale. Moved em out to the side of the light footprint. Got some advise on Canna & Nis's thread that the hid may be too much for little un's.

Oh yeah, just thought of this nivek. Do you notice your pots dry out quickly with this low RH? I'm being careful not to overwater but they seem to dry faster than i would have thought.

Finally, sincere thanks for the caution about power. I know of what you speak. I've done domestic renovation work for a livelihood in a past life (it seems), and some of the things I have seen and corrected were frankly scary.A ground fault receptacle is dirt cheap as well.

What a delightful crowd you've attracted.

nivek, my favorite Canadian....... :hug: Bet you didn't know that. :laughtwo: I'm too much of a stranger over at your place so it's wonderful to keep running into you in other yards. I keep forgetting to ask if you're still using the filtration system you installed with the charcoal?

I'm impressed oldnoob. Had to give you reps for the set-up. Copying nivek is a wise move and he'll be pleased as punch to have inspired another cultivator.

I'm pleased you have the freedom to fan the fire of desire you had to squelch all these years. Hopefully we'll get this mess straightened out so our children can have more freedom than we did. I'd like to wander in and out to watch your magic, if that's ok with you.

Welcome to the neighborhood little one. :love:

IMG_033145.JPG

thanks for the headsup jim,, cheers

sue is being too kind, of course,, however, one does not become a member of the year without an abundance of kindness, least not at 420mag,, cheers sue, and happy birthday agin,,

oh sue, you asked about my charcoal pit i use to filter my exhaust through,, i still do use that, yes,, i have to suppliment my filters with several dryer fabric sheets, changed regularly, and at the moment, in winter, i reroute my exhaust to underneath my studio, in the crawl space,, it helps heat my floor, might as well put the warm air to use,, right?? i do have odour issues and really should buy an inline charcoal filter, really i should,,

ok friend,, as sue said, i would be thrilled that you would find any of my ideas useful,, still to this day i have not ween anyone else use a two tier system,, dunno why, so much wasted space in so many grows,, ok, no worries,,

P1160473.JPG

ok, just to set the scene,, my studio, a ten by twenty outbuilding,, the small door at the end is entrance to my labooratoory,, only uses three of the twenty feet, so, three by ten feet,, right side is the flower room, left is the veg room

IMG_0011227.JPG

i had to go back to the very first of my photo pages to get a pic of the veg room, but it has really not changed at all,, some added shelves maybe, not much else,, the light panel is different

i use this as a kind 'office' for my labooratoory,, i use the bench for all my cropping and plant abuse, i have a small cabinet under there, and my heater, a humidifier and a bucket of water, on the floor under the bench,, this space can be smaller than the flower space because the plants are smaller,, duh,,

i thot about putting the veg area below the flower area but scrapped the idea in favour of two flower levels,, i love to sit in this veg room and just, well, veg,, it is so warm and bright in there. it is surprising, least was to me, how much time i spend in there,, i don't mean just goofin off, i mean working, in me labooratoory,, this hobby takes work, and effort, and time

i bet i spend two hours a day in there, at least, it is attached to me studio, where i spend all the rest of my free time,, so if i am in there that much, i want to be comfy, a tiny bit, and tiny it is, but cozy as heck

P1140784.JPG

another of the flower room,, as i mentioned, have a mars hydro 300 over the top tier,, and cfls on the lower tier

low humidity affecting watering,, i would think, logically, that there would be some connection there, not sure how much,, i notice watering differences whilst a plant is young,, uses less, and when a plant nears ripeness, uses less also, not sure about rh, i have not had to water more lately,, my watering is on a three day rotation near religiously, a few exceptions, flower watering that is,, veg is all over the place.

these pics are from very early on in my growing evolution, but not much has changed, and i see no reason to change after two years like this,, guess that says something, to me anyway,,

cheers fer now,, pls, feel free to ask anything at all you like,, my absolute pleasure,, tho i cant promise to reply instantly

Gosh Sue:bigblush:
Thanks but nivek deserves reps more than I do. He's the sort of community member that makes this the place it is. And why I want to be a part of it too.

Welcome MJ. Glad to have you here. The more the merrier - although if you're looking for merry you're looking for SweetSue's thread!

Thanks nivek. Wish i could send you reps. Probably get the chance before this grow is done though…….

Thanks very much for your last post. That clears it up completely for me. There IS room for a vegging space under a flower space. I'll have to investigate some lighting for vegging. No slight intended niv, but i just personally don't like cfl's. Don't know why, just don't. I have a wider space than you and i think i can get 4' shop lights in there. have to work out a light baffle so no light reaches the flower chamber but I'd still like air flow. Sounds like another construction challenge!

This is exactly the sort of thing that makes this such an obsessive hobby. Having to overcome these obstacles with the mentoring of the good people you meet here is almost as much fun as getting buzzed!:high-five:

I've got another question. Actually about plants this time.

The first lady (i hope) to show is looking good. nice deep green. 4 days old
IMG_034046.JPG

but her little sister, up about 12 hours later, looks kinda yellow
IMG_033939.JPG

Should i be concerned ….. or patient?

Gosh Sue:bigblush:
Thanks but nivek deserves reps more than I do. He's the sort of community member that makes this the place it is. And why I want to be a part of it too.

Welcome MJ. Glad to have you here. The more the merrier - although if you're looking for merry you're looking for SweetSue's thread!

Thanks nivek. Wish i could send you reps. Probably get the chance before this grow is done though…….

Thanks very much for your last post. That clears it up completely for me. There IS room for a vegging space under a flower space. I'll have to investigate some lighting for vegging. No slight intended niv, but i just personally don't like cfl's. Don't know why, just don't. I have a wider space than you and i think i can get 4' shop lights in there. have to work out a light baffle so no light reaches the flower chamber but I'd still like air flow. Sounds like another construction challenge!

This is exactly the sort of thing that makes this such an obsessive hobby. Having to overcome these obstacles with the mentoring of the good people you meet here is almost as much fun as getting buzzed!:high-five:

I've got another question. Actually about plants this time.

The first lady (i hope) to show is looking good. nice deep green. 4 days old
IMG_034046.JPG

but her little sister, up about 12 hours later, looks kinda yellow
IMG_033939.JPG

Should i be concerned ….. or patient?

I'd be concerned. The lack of chlorophyll is not a good thing. No chlorophyll means no energy. Any idea what happened there?

Hi
:welcome: to the 420mag. We grow in the "same" range, DIY with what I have
++++++
I had to join in , if you will have me :)

If you need help with some basic DIY nutrients, I can be of some assistance.

I am with SweetS on the yellow seedling. anything happened to it ? was it differently looking than the others?

I dunno how many seedlings I have seen with a similar hue on different threads lately,, must be the time of year,, tho that could hardly matter indoors, sorta,, i think most of the similars had been started in soil containing nutrients,, either that, or the wee ones were near drownded, one or the other

A lotto folks using hot soil for sprouting,, probably because the soil just happens to be around the house,, one thing about urine as a fert, yes, I use it on plants this young, it is chock full o nitrogen,, a lack of same will certainly lead to some yellowing, so ive read anyway

well, i took some pics of my veg room,, a very tight space, had to break it into two,, and i think you might not need the visual information, however,, i did take the pictures, and i have a burning need to post them somewhere,, so i hope you don't mind, i chose here,,

P1160942.JPG
P1160943.JPG

ha, that worked,, a sliver missing,, neato,,

that is it now,, lotto stuff in there,, all essential of course,, ha

the box on the shelf is a warming box, for clones and newly planted seeds,, its about five degrees warmer in there, a small cfl light inside,, i just built that,, probably a total waste of time, cuz i am getting very frustrated with cloning at the moment

karma sent friend,, cheers

Back
Top Bottom