Olive oil extract update

Lavender for linalool, lemongrass for myrcene, and sweet orange for citronella.. that's what i use, 1 drop per 10ml of oil. I used to use 2 drops per 10ml, but by my calculations 1 is enough to throw the effect in a certain direction, and is certainly in the the realm of safe oral consumation for essential oils (i use Pranoram products btw, they have a great reputation for quality). I combine accordingly for a more peppy or relaxing effect.

Not to mention taste and smell of the oil is much nicer this way :bigblush:

So you're saying you don't just invite them round and give him edibles without his knowledge? :rofl: I guess your friend would get suspicious when you don't offer them any :laughtwo:

:laughtwo: I am going to suggest they try edibles, but these three strains are so balanced in the THC:CBD ratios that it's possible no one will feel any effects except positive ones. Even as I wrote that I was thinking the high is one of the positive things I enjoy about cannabis. LOL!

:laughtwo: I am going to suggest they try edibles, but these three strains are so balanced in the THC:CBD ratios that it's possible no one will feel any effects except positive ones. Even as I wrote that I was thinking the high is one of the positive things I enjoy about cannabis. LOL!

And of course you're going to take some blood samples to test the bioavailability! :rofl:

Don't know how I ended up here instead of the gypsy's music thread. :laughtwo:

Sorry PsyCro, I got sidetracked somehow. Posted on the wrong thread.

Decarboxylate RSO In Pressure Cooker

The thread above got me thinking, so i found as much info as i could, and guess what.. PRESSURE friggin' COOKER!!!

Hooked up a pressure gauge to my old pressure cooker and found it to be the low pressure type.. with low heat 4.5psi.. which translates to about 106-107 degrees Celsius.

Filled it up a quarter way with water, threw in the grass, used the immersion blender to grind it all up. Put the olive oil in, brought it to a boil and blended it all some more. Closed it up, and left it for just under 2 hours.. end result:

- not neeeaarly as much smell as usual.
- from one liter of oil got back just under 0.9L ( as opposed to 8.5).
- the two points above indicate on very important thing, MUCH less evaporation loss = more complete oil.
- color of the oil in the end is much more 'normal', a nice green color, as opposed to the dark color i get with the original method.
- potency, well its at least as potent as before, no problem there. Used a new strain so its a bit new to me and different, but yeah, potency is definitely there.

All in all, pressure cooker for me from now on.

One great thing about this method is the possibility to make a more concentrated oil.. but i wouldn't recommend over 3 times the strength.. for eg. 400 grams fresh material to 0.3L olive oil. Any more than that gets tricky to dose for low tolerance patients.

Anywhoo :Namaste:

Well done PsyCro. You have me planning on adding a pressure cooker to my list of equipment needs when I get to the point where I'm producing for more than myself and my daughter.

So you want it to be around 4.5 psi? I know very little about pressure cookers.

You don't get your oil tested do you? I seem to recall that. It would be interesting to find out what the terpene and flavinoid counts are from this method as well as a comparison of oil made with and without the pressure cooker. I guess that one waits until I relocate somewhere more progressively legal than my home state.

Well done PsyCro. You have me planning on adding a pressure cooker to my list of equipment needs when I get to the point where I'm producing for more than myself and my daughter.

So you want it to be around 4.5 psi? I know very little about pressure cookers.

You don't get your oil tested do you? I seem to recall that. It would be interesting to find out what the terpene and flavinoid counts are from this method as well as a comparison of oil made with and without the pressure cooker. I guess that one waits until I relocate somewhere more progressively legal than my home state.

In the thread linked above you have a chart showing pressure and temperature, when you know your pressure, you know your temperature, and you just time it all accordingly. Most new pressure cookers have two settings, like 7psi and 12psi, so that's pretty handy.

Cannabinoid, terpene and flavinoid loss is undoubtedly minimum, just the smell is the indicator. There is much much less smell, hence less evaporation. I have no doubt this is THE method for a vegetable oil extract, but yeah, testing the oil would be nice.

Decarboxylate RSO in Pressure Cooker

The thread above got me thinking, so i found as much info as i could, and guess what.. PRESSURE friggin' COOKER!!!

Hooked up a pressure gauge to my old pressure cooker and found it to be the low pressure type.. with low heat 4.5psi.. which translates to about 106-107 degrees Celsius.

Filled it up a quarter way with water, threw in the grass, used the immersion blender to grind it all up. Put the olive oil in, brought it to a boil and blended it all some more. Closed it up, and left it for just under 2 hours.. end result:

- not neeeaarly as much smell as usual.
- from one liter of oil got back just under 0.9L ( as opposed to 8.5).
- the two points above indicate on very important thing, MUCH less evaporation loss = more complete oil.
- color of the oil in the end is much more 'normal', a nice green color, as opposed to the dark color i get with the original method.
- potency, well its at least as potent as before, no problem there. Used a new strain so its a bit new to me and different, but yeah, potency is definitely there.

All in all, pressure cooker for me from now on.

One great thing about this method is the possibility to make a more concentrated oil.. but i wouldn't recommend over 3 times the strength.. for eg. 400 grams fresh material to 0.3L olive oil. Any more than that gets tricky to dose for low tolerance patients.

Anywhoo :Namaste:

Great job! :thumb:

And now for some questions :)

What's the capacity of the pressure cooker? About 5-6L?
How much plant material did you use? 400g? Did you still use fresh plant material or was it dried?
Did the water completely cover the plant material before adding the oil? I'm guessing you used 1L of olive oil again?
Did you let it cool before opening the lid?
How did you separate the plant material and oil and water?
Do you think it would be possible to have the plant material and oil in a sealed glass jar and then place that in water in the pressure cooker? At some point I'd like to do something similar to what you originally did except for the sealed glass jar which should help reduce evaporation.

Great job! :thumb:

And now for some questions :)

What's the capacity of the pressure cooker? About 5-6L?

not sure, probably about that

How much plant material did you use? 400g? Did you still use fresh plant material or was it dried?

same as before, yep

Did the water completely cover the plant material before adding the oil? I'm guessing you used 1L of olive oil again?

yep

Did you let it cool before opening the lid?

yes, in a sink full of cold water, three times in cold water to cool it down

How did you separate the plant material and oil and water?

same as before, only i scooped as much of the oil away as i could before i strained through gauze and collected oil from the surface of the water

Do you think it would be possible to have the plant material and oil in a sealed glass jar and then place that in water in the pressure cooker? At some point I'd like to do something similar to what you originally did except for the sealed glass jar which should help reduce evaporation.

not possible with fresh weed in sealed jar, water content would create pressure

.. hm, maybe a step by step with pictures would be in order ...

.. hm, maybe a step by step with pictures would be in order ...

If you want to put one in Sue's study hall I'm sure it would be appreciated :)

However, I'm pretty confident I understand what you've done...

Put about 1.5 litres of water in a pressure cooker, add 400g fresh plant material, blend, add 1 litre of olive oil, bring it to the boil with the lid off, give it another blend, put the lid on and give it 2 hours at 4.5 psi (~106-107 degC), let it cool, recover oil by scopping off the top and using methods in post #1 and post #7.

I can see what you're saying about fresh material and a sealed container. The water content could affect the pressure/temperature in the sealed container and subsequently the decarboxylation process...

I'm getting excited guys. :laughtwo:

Would that be why he did the cold water baths to cool down Cajun?

Edit: Thank you mon ami. That question sent me on a hunt for knowledge and I now understand a little better what's going on here. :laughtwo: Whew! Chemistry at 62. Who'd of thought. Lol!

Are you refluxing in the pressure cooker?

Only to the extent that i cool down the pot completely before opening it, i do not hook it up to tubing to collect vapor as its released while cooking. I do though keep heat at almost minimum so the release valve is just barely working, like i said before, waaaay less smell.. low heat, low pressure, minimum release, close to perfect. But yeah, one step further with some kind of reflux method and we could possibly retain absolutely everything!

I can see what you're saying about fresh material and a sealed container. The water content could affect the pressure/temperature in the sealed container and subsequently the decarboxylation process...

Yeah, its really only a viable option if the jar contains only oil and DRY grass.. some people do it that way, but if i recall correctly with the lid not quite snugged down.

Very sorry for your loss....
I'm starting to find, like with the case of my mother-in-law, that some of the older generations who grow up and lived in an era when the whole world was screaming the EVILS on MJ and now we know the whole time they were lying!
These people can not seem to understand the true benefits and refuse to believe that our once TRUSTED AND RESPECTED government lied to them in the name of BIG PHARMA PROFITS !
DECLASSIFICATION AND DEREGULATION is the key to making the whole world healthier.....one dose at a time, one day at a time, 'till we eradicate the diseases that are killing The Human Being !

Very sorry for your loss....
I'm starting to find, like with the case of my mother-in-law, that some of the older generations who grow up and lived in an era when the whole world was screaming the EVILS on MJ and now we know the whole time they were lying!
These people can not seem to understand the true benefits and refuse to believe that our once TRUSTED AND RESPECTED government lied to them in the name of BIG PHARMA PROFITS !
DECLASSIFICATION AND DEREGULATION is the key to making the whole world healthier.....one dose at a time, one day at a time, 'till we eradicate the diseases that are killing The Human Being !

I found myself out this morning without my morning med brownie and dais covered that the happy attitude I'd cultivated today had motivated my Endocannabinoid system to create an abundance of anandamide, so I have a sweet low-level buzz going - a natural high. Anandamide is the endocannabinoid the THC mirrors, the "evil" cannabinoid, according to the legislative bodies. Are they going to legislate away my natural high too?

The pharmaceutical companies are doing everything possible to try to lock up control of cannabis growth and processing. It's our charge to assure that doesn't happen.

Made my first batch of the fresh harvest olive oil extraction. I've mixed lecithin in and it'll chill overnight before being made into capsules for a dear friend.

image16527.jpeg

image16533.jpeg

Thank you PsyCro, for working this out. I added twice the olive oil you did, because I couldn't get it to mix well with your measurements. I think I may have figured out how to make your measurements work, although by the time I did so I'd already added the extra oil. I believe the secret is to add the buds a little at a time. I started with mine all at once and zapped it down to a manageable texture. If I'd started with the oil and added the buds it may have worked with less olive oil.

This is a CBD strain, meant to be pain meds for a friend. I don't believe the extra olive oil will make that much difference in the end, or at least I'm hoping so. I'll report back on the effects.

Made my first batch of the fresh harvest olive oil extraction. I've mixed lecithin in and it'll chill overnight before being made into capsules for a dear friend.

image16527.jpeg

image16533.jpeg

Thank you PsyCro, for working this out. I added twice the olive oil you did, because I couldn't get it to mix well with your measurements. I think I may have figured out how to make your measurements work, although by the time I did so I'd already added the extra oil. I believe the secret is to add the buds a little at a time. I started with mine all at once and zapped it down to a manageable texture. If I'd started with the oil and added the buds it may have worked with less olive oil.

This is a CBD strain, meant to be pain meds for a friend. I don't believe the extra olive oil will make that much difference in the end, or at least I'm hoping so. I'll report back on the effects.

When i do it, i use a larger pot, and fill it with oil first. Then i slowly add small amounts of buds and mix them thoroughly, that way it all gets in there.

But.. with the pressure cooker technique its even easier because you have a large amount of water in the mix, which makes it very easy to mix. And next to that you can use even less oil for a more potent final product, if you wish ;) ... aaand the oil comes out almost the original color it went in!

Whew ... just read this thread from start to current, lots of info flying around for sure.
Thanks to all for a spirited and engaged discussion.

Keith

When i do it, i use a larger pot, and fill it with oil first. Then i slowly add small amounts of buds and mix them thoroughly, that way it all gets in there.

But.. with the pressure cooker technique its even easier because you have a large amount of water in the mix, which makes it very easy to mix. And next to that you can use even less oil for a more potent final product, if you wish ;) ... aaand the oil comes out almost the original color it went in!

PsyCro, have you documented the pressure cooker method somewhere? I apologize if it was somewhere as blatant as the study hall, where I certainly should be aware of it. I was looking at small pressure cookers and thinking about this. Tomorrow I'm going to do a small harvest of a runt and process it like I did the last one, but I'd like to give the pressure cooker a go, for the experience and to be able to offer it as another alternative.

I'm having someone test out the oil I made last, so I'll know soon how effective it is as pain meds. I must admit, it was my favorite oil experience yet. I try not to get my expectations up with a new batch, but this one was hard not to get excited about.

Back
Top Bottom