Olive oil extract update

As far as harvest time is concerned, it is my understanding that not all strains function the same way so beware.. you might only loose potency going too long or harvesting early to get a certain effect. Strain type is the way to go rather than harvest time when trying to achieve a certain effect.

Yep, I realise flowering time will affect potency, the first time I harvested I tried to wait until there were at least some amber trichomes. I ended up waiting about 10 weeks (probably because I wasn't ready to flower and I'm still not using as much light as I had planned for flowering) for strains that should be about 8 weeks (I realise the times breeders specify are more of a guideline). This time I want to try and get mostly cloudy with the remainder clear and no amber trichomes.

Medium term I have C99 growing now with some vegging before being flowered, longer term I have some other sativa dominant seeds to grow. I'm mainly trying to see if there's something I can do short term with this current harvest, I have a fair amount of oil from the previous harvest so even if harvesting early is a problem I can fall back on the previous oil.

I'm sure you've studied which terpenes affect the high and how, but just in case one link:
Terpenes: The Flavors of Cannabis Aromatherapy | Leafly

Limonene will definitely help, i'd try more of that.

Yep, I've seen that page, I'd done a bit of research on terpenes before posting and I've done more since and I'll certainly include limonene

Other than that, more CBD in the extract will balance out the sedative effect. In this way its similar to THCa, they both offer a bit of stimulation.

I'm now getting rather mixed messages regarding CBD. When searching around online I found some information suggesting that CBD can be a sedative and other information suggesting the opposite. From what you've posted I get the impression that you use different amounts of CBD depending on whether it's for day or night use.

Just then I found information suggesting that in low doses CBD should be more alerting and at higher doses (several hundred mg) is should be more sedative. It seems like I should use predominantly Aurora Indica oil for starters as that should be lower in CBD and then possibly try mixing a small amount of the Blue Blood in there for a little more CBD if required.

This was an incredibly insightful discussion for me gentlemen. Thank you fookinel for the info on Copaiba essential oil. In my recent studies this cannabinoid is the one everyone's starting to get really excited about.

Is there a specific reason for excitement regarding beta-caryophyllene or is it just in general?

I've been looking in to it more and it seems that beta-caryophyllene can help the anti-cancer activity of alpha-humulene and that alpha-humulene may also be anti-inflammatory. It seems that hop essential oil is high in alpha-humulene (which isn't surprising as humulene is named after hops) and also has some beta-caryophyllene and myrcene. I'm trying to avoid extra myrcene for now as I believe fresh cannabis flowers should have a fair amount of it and myrcene is claimed to be sedative. I may look at adding hop essential oil at some point, maybe in a night time oil, assuming I can find a reasonable source of it. Common sage (Salvia officinalis) may have some alpha-humulene depending on the source.

It also looks like I'll go for lemon essential oil (Citrus limon) and/or lime essential oil (Citrus aurantifolia) as they have some alpha and beta-pinene at the expense of a little limonene compared to sweet orange essential oil (Citrus sinensis).

Black pepper essential oil (Piper nigrum) appears to have a fair amount of beta-caryophyllene, limonene, and beta-pinene.

Juniper berry essential oil (Juniperus communis) appears to have plenty of alpha-pinene as well as some beta-pinene, myrcene, and limonene.

Unfortunately the saying "oils ain't oils" applies. In at least some cases, even if the oil producer has used the same genus and species there can be variability from different varieties, growing conditions, etc. So it's possible there could be significant differences between what I've just said and any individual essential oil.

I'm not sure if these other essential oils can also be safely mixed at 1-2 drops per 10ml.

I'm now getting rather mixed messages regarding CBD. When searching around online I found some information suggesting that CBD can be a sedative and other information suggesting the opposite. From what you've posted I get the impression that you use different amounts of CBD depending on whether it's for day or night use.

Just then I found information suggesting that in low doses CBD should be more alerting and at higher doses (several hundred mg) is should be more sedative. It seems like I should use predominantly Aurora Indica oil for starters as that should be lower in CBD and then possibly try mixing a small amount of the Blue Blood in there for a little more CBD if required.

I've seen CBD being peddled both ways as well. Although one way is almost certainly wrong. Strong indica strains which are great for sleep have a bit of CBD, like 1-2%, and plenty of THC of course. My CBD Nordle on the other hand is basically a pure indica with 1:1 cbd:thc.. its not at all sleepy, actually its a bit of an upper.

But no surprise, plenty of misinformation out there. The one that takes the cake.. CBD for children. Absurd, completely absurd and unbelievable as well. Its documented that children develop the CB receptors required to actually get high around 7-8 years of age i believe. CBD only meds for them is a joke, and a slap in the face to progression.

I've seen CBD being peddled both ways as well. Although one way is almost certainly wrong. Strong indica strains which are great for sleep have a bit of CBD, like 1-2%, and plenty of THC of course. My CBD Nordle on the other hand is basically a pure indica with 1:1 cbd:thc.. its not at all sleepy, actually its a bit of an upper.

But no surprise, plenty of misinformation out there. The one that takes the cake.. CBD for children. Absurd, completely absurd and unbelievable as well. Its documented that children develop the CB receptors required to actually get high around 7-8 years of age i believe. CBD only meds for them is a joke, and a slap in the face to progression.

Responsible therapy would never bring euphoric levels into the formula for children. To restrict the access to THC because you haven't bothered to understand the science and you're scared by propaganda is..... almost unforgivable and bordering on the criminal.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Responsible therapy would never bring euphoric levels into the formula for children. To restrict the access to THC because you haven't bothered to understand the science and you're scared by propaganda is..... almost unforgivable and bordering on the criminal.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Interesting assertion you make there.

Can someone explain to me.. what medical problems are caused by euphoria?

The main argument against euphoria seems to be that someone somewhere is enjoying themselves without permission from modern day puritans.

I couldn't resist either :)

The main argument against euphoria seems to be that someone somewhere is enjoying themselves without permission from modern day puritans.

It makes me laugh right out loud every time you make this assertion. Lol! It's so true. Hahaha!

"modern day" puritans..? oh i see what you did there, you used an oxymoron! :bravo: :goof:

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

Lets assume there are no medical problems. Some percentage of people simply do not like the reaction to too much thc in their system. I think we all respect their right to make that choice.

Lets assume there are no medical problems. Some percentage of people simply do not like the reaction to too much thc in their system. I think we all respect their right to make that choice.

I agree. I respect their choice, when they make it for themselves, or make it for their young children.

I get fairly irritated when they try to make that choice for others.

* A steam distillation process was used to extract the oil.

I'm just doing a lot of reading and trying to figure out how to make oil for my daughter-in-law.

I read this at the beginning of this thread and after more reading and re-reading:reading420magazine:I noticed that I had never seen another mention of this. Has anyone tried this method? It is the method used for extracting essential oils from other plant materials IIRC and it might be useable here too.

I'm just doing a lot of reading and trying to figure out how to make oil for my daughter-in-law.

I read this at the beginning of this thread and after more reading and re-reading:reading420magazine:I noticed that I had never seen another mention of this. Has anyone tried this method? It is the method used for extracting essential oils from other plant materials IIRC and it might be useable here too.

I've used this method as recently as this week, and found it to be an effective way to process a fresh harvest. I did mine because there were mites in the plants and I didn't want to risk spreading the community by hanging the washed plant to dry, so I cooked the oil up right there. I use the oil in capsule form, so the inclusion of mites in the oil only amounted to extra protein, IMO. The oil was tremendously effective in controlling my daughter's anxiety levels, modulating chronic pain, and keeping PTSD symptoms at bay.

PsyCro has begun making his with a pressure cooker. I'm not that advanced yet. :cheesygrinsmiley:

It makes an absolutely delicious and potent oil. Not one to take lightly at all. Dose responsibly.

What condition are you trying to treat oldnoob? I'm assuming you don't want to do CCO? A simple infused oil made with dry plant material is effective for many conditions. This technique hopes to harness more of the terpenes, and it probably does. I can tell by the smell that my regular infused oils are retaining many of the terpenes too. There are many ways to make an infused oil.

I've recently made another batch of this oil and this time I paid attention to the effects on its own. With the previous batches I'd used the oil in my brownies, which has been my primary choice of administration for almost two years. This time I made capsules, size 00 that hold 1ml of oil. The strain I used was a CBD Critical Cure, with a 2:1 ratio 10-15% CBD:5-10%THC and I'm finding the effect equal in euphoria to the 5:1 BioBomb capsules of a much higher THC value strain.

This suggests that PsyCro's contentions that this is a viable option to CCO has merit. Eventually one of the members will be inspired to make a batch and have it tested so we can compare. Until that happens I want to encourage anyone reading this thread to give this one a go. These capsules have been carrying me strongly for up to 11 hours before I begin to feel the effect wane, and for the past five days straight I have enjoyed some of the most consistently pleasant euphoria in my life.

I believe this is powerful medicine, and we owe PsyCro a debt of gratitude for sharing it with us. This will be my preferred method of processing for oil from now on. I'll still make limited quantities of CCO to help refine the process with the rest of the oilers, but for the basic dosing of myself and the patients I supply, this is where our medicine comes from.

Hi all

Sue if you were interesting in a test run of a small change, suggest you try putting LSL in the pot. Ive been doing this with my small batch extractions and it seems to work very well.

I'm a big fan myself of LSL Oldbear. :cheesygrinsmiley: I always use 1 tablespoon per cup of carrier oil, and when it's less than a cup I still use almost a tablespoon anyway.

The LSL suggestion is to add it to the pot up front - before / during the simmering stage - rather than after. Is that what you are doing?

I only have dried flowers at this point. Ive done the small batch olive oil extraction with toasted flower.

Im going to try soaking the bits in water first, untoasted, just for interest.

I believe this is powerful medicine, and we owe PsyCro a debt of gratitude for sharing it with us. This will be my preferred method of processing for oil from now on. I'll still make limited quantities of CCO to help refine the process with the rest of the oilers, but for the basic dosing of myself and the patients I supply, this is where our medicine comes from.

Is this the method you are referring to, SweetSue? Decarboxylate RSO In Pressure Cooker

I have an InstantPot pressure cooker that I could use for this purpose. :eyebrowsmile:

The LSL suggestion is to add it to the pot up front - before / during the simmering stage - rather than after. Is that what you are doing?

I only have dried flowers at this point. Ive done the small batch olive oil extraction with toasted flower.

Im going to try soaking the bits in water first, untoasted, just for interest.

I add mine at the beginning OldBear. The last time I got to thinking that it might not hurt to add more at the end, but I don't know that this would be necessary. These are different from the biobombs.

Is this the method you are referring to, SweetSue? Decarboxylate RSO In Pressure Cooker

I have an InstantPot pressure cooker that I could use for this purpose. :eyebrowsmile:

Actually, the method I was talking about was this thread your in, the olive oil extraction made with freshly-harvested buds. PsyCro has started decarbing it in the pressure cooker. PsyCro hasn't laid this out as neatly yet, but he did share both his excitement in discovering the linked post and his basic method for using the pressure cooker. That discussion states back on page 11. Olive oil extract update

I'm gonna have to get a pressure cooker. I also need to add this update to my blog on the method. Let me do that right now. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Thank you dear, for calling this to my attention. I've been meaning to pass on his update for some time now. :hug: :love:

Excellent! Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! I wondered if it was in this thread somewhere and I had missed it. There is so much information to digest that I think I missed that post. LOL! I've been knee deep in all the fabulous scientific discussions. :)

So the moral of the story - all of my beloved kitchen equipment has earned the right to stay for eternity. Might even need to add a few new items. :dreamy:

Excellent! Thank you for pointing me in the right direction! I wondered if it was in this thread somewhere and I had missed it. There is so much information to digest that I think I missed that post. LOL! I've been knee deep in all the fabulous scientific discussions. :)

So the moral of the story - all of my beloved kitchen equipment has earned the right to stay for eternity. Might even need to add a few new items. :dreamy:

I keep laughing at how this "hobby" has forced me to find storage space for multiple pieces of equipment. :laughtwo:

Back
Top Bottom