On Growing Outside

RangerDanger

Although I have grown inside and out, outdoor growing is by far my favorite.
It takes longer than inside but that's more than offset by increased yield.
And outdoor growing is more enjoyable. Outside with the birds chirping, the bee's buzzing, a nice breeze, watching the lizards and frogs, squirells & deer scampering about--that's fun in itself.
Currently I grow in my backyard, but for over 30 years I was a stone guerilla growing, way out in the Nat'l Forest.
That's added fun cause
-it gave me a chance to play "secret agent man", walking through the woods silently, alert to things like footprints and broken twigs. Listening and skulking about, ducking down behind rocks if need be.
But the No 1 reason I loved guerilla growing was there's lots of fun to be had in the woods.
Typical trip to tend the garden...
Me and my partner head out to the woods Sat. about noon. We spend midday setting up camp, gathering firewood, splashing around in the stream, maybe a side trip downstream to Spider Cave and Tall Fall, or upstream to Big Rock and Crazy Man Falls, and lazing in a hammock.
Later in the afternoon we would fish and due to the remoteness of the area we usually had excellent luck and bagged 3 or 4 12" wild rainbow trout.
Then we'd start a fire, let it die down to coals, then kill/scale/prepare & cook the trout.
We'd pop open a couple of stream-cold brews and have a nice dinner as the sun set behind Mt. Wilson.
A bit later we'd start drinking wine. The only time I get drunk is in the woods. No cops, no cars, if you fall down you fall in the sand and if you throw up on yourself it doesn't matter.
We liked to go on midnight hikes (not always at midnight, usually 10--12 p.m.) so we didn't go to bed drunk.
Then we're up at dawn, down a few cups of java, hike a coupla miles to tend the garden, then back to camp for some bacon & eggs & pancakes & hash browns. After lazing around a bit more, we'd hike out and arrive back home about 24 hrs. after we left.
Each trip was like a mini-vacation.
Oh yeah, last but certainly not least we smoked ganja the whole while.

Sounds like an awesome time. Love the great outdoors. There will be more threads in here soon, the forum was only created yesterday. We have a few more outdoor journals in the main Grow Journal area, and they'll be moved over soon.

im growing outside and i really enjoy it because its fresher and a hell of a lot easier.Of course the only bad thing is the plants take forever to bud

I have been putting my plants out on the deck during the day and bringing them in at night. I can't figure out the best way to proceed from here. Should I transplant into larger containers and put them in their outdoor spots or should I just put them in the ground?

I’m growen 4 girl Scout Cookies Extrem In 5 gal sp with ffof,peat,core,and perlite outside this summer, I started them about a mounth before I kicked them out the door...... topped at 6 node and supercroped them when thay reached 6’ covered loosely with bird netting,last summer birds landed on my girls!
1- two pound robin = broken branches taped some,lost some. Well not this time,fingers crossed.

I have been putting my plants out on the deck during the day and bringing them in at night. I can't figure out the best way to proceed from here. Should I transplant into larger containers and put them in their outdoor spots or should I just put them in the ground?
Unless soil is prepaired in holes I would just pot up and put in place.

Back
Top Bottom