On the topic of LED's

addision

Other than manufacturing quality, are all LED's the same? Meaning, are there so few manufacturers of the actual LED component that all red LED's are of similar quality, deliver approximately the same spectrum, and put out the same amount of light (maybe called luminosity for LED's)?

For example, I know there are only a few component manufacturers of LCD screens for TV's even though there are thousands of manufacturers who use the LCD component in their own brand.

The reason I ask is that I have found many opportunities to purchase LED lights for much less money than the "UFO" type grow lights. Even if there is a difference in the ability of these "other" lights compared to the "UFO" and other "grow" LED panels, I would still be able to afford the less expensive lights for less than the "grow" lights and still make it work out.

For example here is one "grow" light for $600.00, Procyon-100 100W LED Grow Light. compared to this one which I would need 8 lights ($320.00) but I think I could surround my plants better at lower cost, 225 High Power Blue Lamp LED Plant Grow Light Panel*::*Gardening Equipment, or this one Red LED Grow Light Pannel 225 LED 110 Volt. That's a $280.00 difference of which I could purchase 7 additional lights less expensive lights.

If anyone could direct me to some info on comparing the quality of LED's from the original component manufacturer that would be great.

i have had the same feelings as you man, this is my first grow and i decided to go with a combination then work out the kinks as i go. i went with

1 - New 55 Watt LED Grow Light Panel Hydropronic Plant Red Blue : SKY754

2 - LED Bulbs - LED Light Bulbs - - 5w LED Red 630nm Grow Light

i have the panel mounted on the ceiling and the 2 bulbs in lamps above the plants so i can adjust there angle and height. as well as tin foil on all the walls for reflectiveness...

hope that helped ya

From what I've read and i personally have used LED's in my however unsuccessful grows. Im pretty sure that was due to my ineptitude with a ph meter lol. I was told the wattage of the lights is the important thing. The wattage of the individual LED's should be a watt per light, hence my 100 watt UFO has 100 led's in it. So the little watt panels as far as I've heard, never personally experienced, are supposed to be garbage.

There are several variables to consider when buying LEDs

spectrum - MJ needs various spectrums depending on whether budding or vegging. Different manufactures have different twists on this aspect. Most LEDs are awesome in vegetation but not all are great for flowering.

LED wattage - some mfg's use 1 watt leds, others use 3, 5, or 6 watts. This is an issue of efficiency as well as one of power. The 1 watts are more 'efficient" from an electrical consumption standpoint but this doesn't necessarily mean they grow more or less bud

Angle - manufactures sell 30, 60, 90, and 120 degree angles - this varies how wide the sweet spot foot print is.

Light Wattage - a most important decision, more is generally better but how much can you afford and how many plants are you looking to grow.

There are a lot of good LED journals on this site. How much bud are you trying to grow, how much space do you have?

(PS - Sorry I had to remove the links to non-sponsors;))

From what I've read and i personally have used LED's in my however unsuccessful grows. Im pretty sure that was due to my ineptitude with a ph meter lol. I was told the wattage of the lights is the important thing. The wattage of the individual LED's should be a watt per light, hence my 100 watt UFO has 100 led's in it. So the little watt panels as far as I've heard, never personally experienced, are supposed to be garbage.

I'll second that from personal experience.
The 225 led china panels use 0.062 Watt emitters. 10mm. low power leds.
They are just about useless, even for vegging.

Had to open one up when it failed and was taken aback by the innards.
Li'l buggers are firetraps!
I'd embed a picture here if I could.
Prolly upload it to the appropriate place, once I figure out where that is.
In short, they have been tried, and were found to be junk.

Jus' 2 cents.
Aloha
Weezard

how many watts of leds should i use to grow 2-4 plants and get a decent yeild off of them?

Personal opinion here. Any of the 126 to 205 watt lights should work well for 2 plants.

Setting Sun did 4 plants off lights in this range

Personally, I'd suggest two lights if you want 4 plants or add some CFL side lighting if you go beyond 2 plants.

The more light the better for getting additional weight, it's just not as efficient and rapidly becomes a cost factor. The only negative I've got to say about LED's is they can be pricy as an initial purchase and you need to get them at optimal height for best results

Haight Solid State vs. H.G.LED

Also check out this sponsor - Mike is a good man and his lights are showing excellent results as well.

At the big end of the spectrum, if you can afford it, check out Irishboy's grow, he just pulled well over a pound from 4 plants using a 600 watt LED
600W LED Grow

Check out the plant of the month - first one grown all LED (bout 4.5 - 5 OZ after drying)
image.php

Back
Top Bottom