Once a hermie, always a hermie?

sadhu9

I grew a plant from seed that turned out a hermaphrodite. My question is...will any clones that are taken from a hermie become a hermie? I also have several plants from this plant and wonder what to do with them? Thanks

I grew a plant from seed that turned out a hermaphrodite. My question is...will any clones that are taken from a hermie become a hermie? I also have several plants from this plant and wonder what to do with them? Thanks

There are two things required to produce a hermaphrodite - genetics and environment.

Because you have a hermie - you have proven that the genetics have that capability.

So that leaves just your environment. Something in your environment has brought out this trait. Do you plan on using the same environment for the next grow? If yes, then you should throw away this plant and any progeny. If no, then you need to identify the thing in the environment that caused the plant to hermaphrodite.

High temperatures seems to be one case.

You screwed up the light cycle could be another case.

With all that being said, I believe that I would get rid of any plants that showed a tendency towards hermie... There are way too many good seed companies producing so many excellent strains that won't do this - why waste time on a line that does?

I have some plants that try to throw male flowers in the lower canopy if they get insufficient light. It all gets trimmed off at 21 days and never have any hermie problems in my buds. You will know when you have a problematic strain. do some research on the genetics. and i always try to run one through the garden successfully before I commit to a certain strain. good luck in the quest.

Do you mean 21 days into veg or flower? I have some seeds from a company that I'm trying now. Thanks for your input. Would a seed from a hermie be a hermie?

I'm pretty sure all strains carry the hermaphrodite gene, it increases survival odds in the wild. The question is what percentage of this gene is being expressed through its daily life cycle, this can obviously be manipulated through environmental changes (more or less). Some strains naturally are more or less prone to expressing their hermaphrodite gene. I think the trick is to "not get them to express it"
Or the ones that have a higher gene expression should be generally avoided..
:peacetwo:

You sure hit the nail on the head! That makes perfect sense. I didn't think it through.
Thanks again...nice to know there's people out there you can count on...

Namaste

Back
Top Bottom