One Drug Arrest Every 18 Seconds - FBI Numbers Show Failure of 'War on Drugs

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
A group of police and judges who want to legalize drugs pointed to new FBI numbers released today as evidence that the "war on drugs" is a failure that can never be won. The data, from the FBI's "Crime in the United States" report, shows that in 2008 there were 1,702,537 arrests for drug law violations, or one drug arrest every 18 seconds.

"In our current economic climate, we simply cannot afford to keep arresting more than three people every minute in the failed 'war on drugs,'" said Jack Cole, a retired undercover narcotics detective who now heads the group Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP). "Plus, if we legalized and taxed drug sales, we could actually create new revenue in addition to the money we'd save from ending the cruel policy of arresting users."

Last December, LEAP commissioned a report by a Harvard University economist which found that legalizing and regulating drugs would inject $77 billion a year into the struggling U.S. economy.

Today's FBI report, which can be found at Arrests - Crime in the United States 2008 , shows that 82.3 percent of all drug arrests in 2008 were for possession only, and 44.3 percent of drug arrests were for possession of marijuana.

Pointing to the collateral consequences that often follow drug arrests, LEAP's Cole continued, "You can get over an addiction, but you will never get over a conviction."

Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP) is a 13,000-member organization representing cops, judges, prosecutors, prison wardens and others who now want to legalize and regulate all drugs after witnessing horrors and injustices fighting on the front lines of the "war on drugs."

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: AScribe Newswire
Copyright: 2009 AScribe Newswire

First time we've had a drop though

last year 872,000 w/90% for simple possession

this year 848,000 w/82% for simple possession

still ridiculous but heading in the right direction.

Laugher of the month -
"What you won't find on this page?"
Clearance data for violent crimes and property crimes.

i.e. we were all out working on the potheads and had no time for serious crime so we don't want to talk about that

umm ?lets see since the 60's I had the war on Drugs beat in (ouch) 2 me !!~~ lets see 13-58 still spending more money on the war on Drugs and all were getting is better drugs ????More King pins getting bigger pins GREED and lies

What I still don't understand is Obama not weighing in on this. He makes big speeches about wanting the nation's children to stay in school and be the nation's hope.
Well if a large portion of those children have drug records that don't allow them the basic rights of all Americans then you tell me how you are going to go forward as opposed to just round and round.
He admitted he smoked pot and he is president.
His big rally cry right now is health care. Well you tell me how we are supposed to support him when there are millions of Americans who suffer constantly because of his countries draconian policies.
Not only would a change in policy help our sick and helpless physically, but it would go an extraordinarily long way to helping our mental health.
What kind of society keeps such a large portion of their citizens in fear and paranoia for such a simple thing?
Sometimes it boggles my mind as much as when I try to understand the immensity of the universe.

my brain tells me that he is no different than all the rest. there is still a very small flicker that hopes he is not dealing with it for the moment because he feels his agendas have a better chance of working if he waits. but i really am leaning towards the idea that there has been no real change. a different more eloquent face but 'them' running the show.

if i see no real (by real i mean law and not just policy) progress when it comes to Hemp & Cannabis by the end of his first term then he will not have my support. will Ron Paul be available to us again? if not then somebody who is actually an outsider.

Back
Top Bottom