One lucky bitch needs help

justlucky

I need some advice from all the "broke" pros out there...I have always been told that the flat, white seeds are female and the ones to plant... while the fat, hard, brown ones are males and worthless...now, I acquired some awesome bud (I have no idea what it's scientific strain is) and decided to try to grow a little of it on my own...out of a quarter i got only two fat seeds and saw no white ones so I pulled out the needlenose tweezers and seperated a bud from my stash at the stem...I was greeted by these little white-green hairy pods so i seperated one and inside of it lay a tiny piece of white crumble about the size of a pin head...assuming that these were the "female" seeds i plucked about 7 of them...not knowing if they were seeds or not i stuck my finger in a pot of dirt that had a dying houseplant of mine in it, dropped the tiny "things" pods and all into the hole, covered it up and to my amazement in just three days i had sprouts...I have since then seperated them and replanted in the same pot...(the houseplant has been removed)I have six plants and have moved them down three times putting the root further into the dirt and allowing the leaves to rest on the top of the soil...they are growing and are now about 8-9" long from root to tip (after two and a half weeks)...I have no fancy set up...i am broke and have no desires to supply the earth with bud...I just want some good stank to puff on...I think I've read enough to figure out the male and female thing and seperating them and so on but my real question now is..."Will I be okay taking my plants in and out of the house?" I have been setting them on the deck during sunlight and bringing them in at night I really only want one or two good plants but I want to keep them short and sweet which leads me to my next question...how do I do that? My plants have the set of round leaves and the set of serrated leaves with the next set of serrated ones emerging from within the first...how long do I wait to seperate and replant them? I know a small pot can cause them to become root bound but can it also help to keep the plant small...I would prefer to keep her/them around three feet tall to help accomodate my living arrangements...will I be able to do this with just plain old water and sunlight and no fancy devices? the old fashioned way has worked amazingly so far for me but I don't want lose them later down the road...any valuable info would be greatley appreciated by this dumb first-timer:allgood:

Well, since we're not sure of the strain there's no way to tell how big they can really get, but you can control that. For now I would put them out there from sunrise to sunset to get as much light as possible. Then when they are 1/3 to 1/2 the height of how tall you want them, put them out there for exactly twelve hours a day, and when they are inside they need to be in the dark. Some organic fertilizer would help, since the soil in the pot had a houseplant in it that was sucking up all the nutrients. This is just the MINIMUM to keep them alive through flowering and give you some bud to smoke. As far as quality... not so sure. But keep us posted if you stick with this.
:passitleft:

thanks for the help so far...do i need to try "cropping" the tops eventually?? I have read some info about this stunting the growth but i still would like to get as much bud as possible...in MO we are back to cooler nights now so I've been afraid to leave them out constantly...also what about the pot size and time to seperate them into their own pot?...thanks cool

You definitely want to make sure they don't get too cold, but just realize that getting closer to 12 hours of light will cause flowering. At least keep them by a sunny window or even under an old desklamp with a flourescent bulb. The majority of indoor growers give their plants 18 hours before cutting down to 12. That's why if they were planted outside, they would know to flower in the fall when the days get shorter (sun's out about 12 hours). As far as cropping, I didn't try it with my first grow, but definitely my second. I wouldn't recommend it for this situation since the plants would be going through more stress than usual. If you decide to though, wait until it's a little warmer out (in IL it's freezing) and start feeding it with some organic fertilizer soon. Make sure it's organic, even if you get the cheap stuff. Any chemical fert like miracle grow will taste like ass.

Oh yeah, and DEFINITELY put into it's own new pot as soon as possible (so the roots don't tangle), and consider spending a few dollars to replace the dirt. The only reason I say that is I hate to see you haul these plants in and out every day to see them not make it to the end b/c of some used dirt. Hell I'd even give you some dirt if you lived closer! lol So how tall did you want them to get?

no taller than three feet...u r close enough to know that we've had fabulous weather for about the last three weeks and then back to the bitter cold again...but here that is to be expected...i even had to cover my rosebushes to save them...I think i can afford some dirt and pots just not all the fancy lights and irrigation systems...needless to say i do not have a "grow room" and I have been living on luck this far...how big should my new pots be?

I used 3 gallon wastebaskets w/ drainage holes and my plants were about 3 feet - some people use 3 gallon cat litter containers or 5 gallon buckets if they're going a little bigger.

thanks for all your help...so pot size does matter when it comes to how big your plant will grow...right?

No problem - I'll even give you a rep point to get you started! But generally, the size of pot can stunt growth if the roots don't have the room, and you'll be shocked to see the root system in a 3-gallon pot when you remove the dirt. I learned the hard way and had to replant halfway through-here's my first grow btw, indoor, but should help:
First grow - Sea of Green style

I need some advice from all the "broke" pros out there...I have always been told that the flat, white seeds are female and the ones to plant... while the fat, hard, brown ones are males and worthless...
:hmmmm: whoever told you that is a flat out liar. You can not tell the gender of a plant by looking at the seeds. The flat green ones are immature and will not grow. The fat dark ones are mature and will produce.

a quarter i got only two fat seeds and saw no white ones so I pulled out the needlenose tweezers and seperated a bud from my stash at the stem...I was greeted by these little white-green hairy pods so i seperated one and inside of it lay a tiny piece of white crumble about the size of a pin head...
What are you talking about? I think you're confused.

assuming that these were the "female" seeds i plucked about 7 of them...not knowing if they were seeds or not i stuck my finger in a pot of dirt that had a dying houseplant of mine in it, dropped the tiny "things" pods and all into the hole, covered it up and to my amazement in just three days i had sprouts...I have since then seperated them and replanted in the same pot...(the houseplant has been removed)I have six plants and have moved them down three times putting the root further into the dirt and allowing the leaves to rest on the top of the soil...they are growing and are now about 8-9" long from root to tip (after two and a half weeks)...
:hmmmm: I don't believe it. Got pics?

I think I've read enough to figure out the male and female thing and seperating them and so on but my real question now is...
Your seed story makes no sense to me. Only thing I can think of is they aren't cannabis plants.

"Will I be okay taking my plants in and out of the house?"
For a while yeah, but then they'll need to be outside all day to avoid flowering early.

...i still would like to get as much bud as possible...also what about the pot size and time to seperate them into their own pot?...thanks cool
there's alot of discussion about this, but you will not increase your bud output by topping. They should have been separated soon after they broke the soil's surface. Supposed 8-9 inches tall is too late and will risk severe shock and loss. try just putting them all in a large pot...5 gallon or more in size.

I have no digital camera so i cant send pics but why do think that i am so amazed that i even have plants...it definately is weed...it came from what i smoked and it was true heat...i didn't start reading up on anything until they acually sprouted and yes i plucked small hairy pods from the bud that i smoked and dropped them into some shitty dirt and they have sprouted...all of them...thus the confusion...after i began reading, all info stated that the seeds should be hard and fat and ready to burst...that is why i can't believe it myself...i wasn't even sure what i was planting was seeds but obviously they were...they looked similar to a rose bud in that they had a small opening at the top...as i stated earlier...i opened the small pod to find a white piece of crumpled up something aprox the size of a pin head...i didn't plant the two fat round ones as i had been told they were worthless...so i tossed in the little pods that i plucked and tada...i seperated the sprouts early but they are still in the same pot...about two inches away from the other...the root system is not big enough yet to become tangled so should i put them all in seperate containers now??

I have no digital camera so i cant send pics but why do think that i am so amazed that i even have plants...it definately is weed...it came from what i smoked and it was true heat...i didn't start reading up on anything until they acually sprouted and yes i plucked small hairy pods from the bud that i smoked and dropped them into some shitty dirt and they have sprouted...all of them...thus the confusion...after i began reading, all info stated that the seeds should be hard and fat and ready to burst...that is why i can't believe it myself...i wasn't even sure what i was planting was seeds but obviously they were...they looked similar to a rose bud in that they had a small opening at the top...as i stated earlier...i opened the small pod to find a white piece of crumpled up something aprox the size of a pin head...i didn't plant the two fat round ones as i had been told they were worthless...so i tossed in the little pods that i plucked and tada...i seperated the sprouts early but they are still in the same pot...about two inches away from the other...the root system is not big enough yet to become tangled so should i put them all in seperate containers now??
Now I get it. I think you pulled a whole calyx out and planted it. The ripe seed was inside still. You could have stripped it off and the dark plump seed would have been there. That makes alot of sense now. Don't throw away the bare seeds!!! If you don't want them find another grower and gift them away.

I'd do the seperation sooner than later. The longer they are together the worse your situation will get.

Sorry for the confusion!!
Akorn:bongrip:

no...there was no hard seed inside...only the small white thing the size of a pin head...the pod itself was the size of a mature round seed but it had no hard shell...just a small, soft, hairy pod about the size of a seed with the tiny thing iside of it and those are what i planted because i thought the hard round ones were worthless at the time...after all i've read now i don't understand why they grew...i pulled them directly off the stem but there could not have been anything hard and mature inside because i dissected a few in order to make the decision that they were the "female" seeds that i was told to plant

listen to akorn...he knows what hes talking about...and by the way.. you WANT the dark ones..you DONT want the white ones...and theres no way to tell sex untill your plant has hit full sexual maturation during the end of vegging...or you might not notice untill 1-2 weeks of flowering if you havent let the plant fully mature before switching to 12/12

Thank you for everyones advice i really appreciate it all and I guess I'm the first virgin birth because as i stated in all of my past notes i did not plant the fat brown seeds...i wasn't even sure if what i planted were seeds because they were so indiscernable...there was nothing fat or brown or hard about them and i did dissect them to the core...i dropped all of these little pods into the same hole and they all sprouted...they were soft...after they grew i thought i had discovered some phenomenally potent "female" seeds...then i began to read and read and read and become more and more and more confused as to why these "things" sprouted anyway...one thing is for sure...they were not hard and brown and mature but it is green thats growing...I've been a smoker for twelve years and this is the first time i have ever tried to grow anything...and didn't begin reading up until after the sprouts came because i was in total shock and like..."Now what?" I don't know how i grew it because the people that know what they are talking about are shaking their heads at me but exactlly what i decsribed is exactly what i planted...all in the same hole...glad you got a laugh...because i felt pretty inferior when i began reading all of the info that is out there...so yeah...i'm a dummy tryin' to do something i know nothing about...I guess my sprouts came from dumb luck...either that or god knew how much i needed this and decided to help me out a little lol

those roots will spread a lot faster than you'd think!

maybe start each seed in its own plastic cup 16oz or so..
then when your ready to repot the good sprouters, can just cut it apart and plug into new homes.:peace:

the biggest of the serrated leaves had started to droop i guess b/c of lack of light (too cold to set them out yesterday and they had been in and out everyday) so i remembered that i had a cheap coil-type flourecent (sp?) bulb that i put in the hood over my range where the appliance light goes...removed the light cover and set the kids ont the stove for the night and they did a 360 overnight...i know it isn't much but it seemed to help...i guess if there is anyone else out there who is strapped for cash it's an idea...I'm going to try to replant today in seperate pots...we'll see how that goes...thank you to all

Back
Top Bottom