One month into vegging the growth is very slow

Tardigrade89

Hey, first off, this forum is great. I registered last week and already I have learned so much more than I ever did from spending hours on youtube and google. Now, my grow has been going on for almost a month and my plants look very healthy so far. The problem is I think they look a bit small considering the time I have spent vegging? Perhaps you can help me out here :thumb:

What I know about my grow is this:
SOIL GROW

Strain - No idea, some Indica ( most likely) bag seeds I found in a bud I bought about.. three? months ago.
# of Plants - 3
Grow Type - Soil
Grow Stage - Vegetative
Lights - 1x 90 Watt (effective) LED UFO, 20% 460nm, 24% 630nm, 45% 660nm, 11% other, 3700 Lumen.
Lights - 2x 54 Watt (listed) LED Spot, 40% 460nm, 60% 660nm (Cheap shit from ebay)
Nutrients - Something called "All purpose tomato fertilizer" (6-1.3-5 + trace elements)
Medium - Bag said "Organic Vegetable Soil". Seem to drain well and its not too compact.
PPM - No idea
PH - 6.5-7
RH - 35%
Room Temperature - 30C
Room Square Footage - 70cm by 50cm
Pests - None Known
Light scheme 18/0 for the first three weeks, then I switched to 24/0.

I water my plants every 2-3 days depending on the soil moisture, and have provided them with nutrients twice. Once after two weeks, and once yesterday. In addition I have a CO2 apparatus installed (Yeast and sugar) that drop CO2 onto the plants from above.
The distance to my plants from my lights are about 20-25 cm and I have a small oscillating 12V computer fan blowing air on the plants constantly, as well as 2x 140mm exhaust fans (60 CFM ), one on each end of the air duct which is about 6 meters long in total. Air is supplied to my closet through a 5cm in diameter hole at the bottom. No fan.

This is my first grow so I am not very experienced, and additionally I have no idea what strain I am actually growing which might be the reason, but as you can see from the following photos I think the plants look incredibly small for being a month into veg. I figure I should give them at least another month before I start flowering, but other than the height I like how they look.

The true size of the plants are 11-12 cm from the base of the stem to the top, or little under 5 inches for those of you not using metric.

Size1.png
Size2.png

I am thinking that the height has to do with lack of light. The LED I have is mostly red and as I understand it this means the light is best suited for flowering? Does this mean the plants might pick up size when I induce flowering or is the wavelength not important for this?

All help is appreciated. I love these little plants and want to give them the best care that I can :kiss:

I should probably add that for the first two weeks the plants grew on top of a drawer I have, and was "boxed in" with sheets of Mylar hanging from the roof and the only supply of light being the UFO. The two extra lights were added after two weeks, and I moved everything into the closet last week after about 3 weeks in the "box".
Otherwise everything else about my grow has remained constant.

They dont look to bad in my eyes they will double in size once you switch to 12/12 if they were mine id veg for another month then start flower

Okey. So its possible that its just a short strain then. I guess thats the problem with using bag seeds. You never know what the plant is supposed to look like when everything is smooth.

Hi Tardiverygrade89, They look like Indica for sure. They do look a little short for their age, probably from the lights, but they look real healthy other than that. Think u r able to sex them yet? Ditto what Nekminnut wrote, they should at least double in size when you go to 12/12.

pot size small too, i guess a lot of factors. I've used red spectrum light in veg with good results. looks like you started from seed so they won't be huge yet. you can veg as long as you want but a bigger light would be needed for bigger plants. Beautiful plants though

Thanks, glad to hear you think they look good :) Ok, so I should switch to a bigger pot? The local garden store is closed today but I could drop by tomorrow. What size do you recommend?

Depends on how big you plan on having them. I always start with 5 gallons just so I don't have to worry about transplanting. 3 gallon is fine for quick veg to flower. Only reason I say bigger is because if the roots cannot expand the plant cannot grow. Also transplanting can stress them I've never done it so I wouldnt be able to help you there.

I have decided to flower them in two weeks time. I guess if I transplant as soon as possible they will have time to recover before then as I want my babies to be as healthy as possible before I flower. Also topping them again in another week, meaning if I transplant tomorrow they should not get stressed from both transplant and topping at the same time I guess.

Really if ur going to flower in 2 weeks theres no point re potting them just keep them in the same pot and flower them you might get an ounce a plant if ur super lucky

Really? I'm no expert, but considering the plants grow to twice the size during flowering, wont that put them in dager of getting root bound? My pots are quite small

My opinion is do what you think is best everything is trial and error. If you are going to flower I'd flip em soon. If you are going yo transplant 3 gallons might be perfect but like I said I've never tried it. If you don't transplant next time around just start in bigger pots. If you watch Meddicropper on YouTube he Starr seeds in 15 GALLONS!!! AND HE GET A POUND PER PLANT!

Really? I'm no expert, but considering the plants grow to twice the size during flowering, wont that put them in dager of getting root bound? My pots are quite small

Speaking from experience I would go to a 5 gallon container before flower. I am growing BC God Bud which is also a short bushy Indica. I started them from seed in solo cups. After two weeks they had to go to 1 gallon nursery pots. Just recently I put them in 5 gallon pots and gave them a week of Veg to get used to their new home. I am about to put them into 12/12 and they look great! Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom