OneHitter's Fox Farm, Soil, Blue Dream Grow Journal, 2014

OneHitter

Hi guys,
I just started a new grow and thought I would share a journal to get some ideas and tips.

Here's the set up:

Pot Size - 3 gallon

Medium - 50% FoxFarm Ocean Mix mixed with 50% FoxFarm Happy Frog the 30% perilite add for drainage.

Lights - (2) 1000w HPS for a total of 2000 watts

Tent - 4' wide x 8' long x 7' tall

Nutrients - FoxFarm Trio Grow/Bloom, Tiger

Strain - Blue Dream

# of Plants: 30

Yield : We'll see. I'll post the results when it's in.

This not my first grow but it is my first one in a long time and my first time in a tent.

It's also my first time growing Blue Dream.

Been reading journals on this site for a while and look forward to hearing tips and suggestions from people experienced with growing Blue Dream in a tent. Or just stop by to say hi.

I mixed the soil and perilite, put them in 3 gallon plastic pots and transplanted thirty, 8" to 12", healthy, well rooted clones of Blue Dream in the same soil they were rooted in on Dec. 8th, 2014.

Set the digital ballast on 600 watts the first night.

I switched them to 1000 watts (X2) tonight.

Temperature is 77.4 F
Humidity is 51%
pH is 6.5 in the soil level.

Have 8" ducted hoods and the room has a separate, 6", carbon-filtered exhaust.

Planning to veg them for a week and flip them.
My tent is only 7' tall and I hear Blue Dream stretches so I dont want them to get too tall.

Any thoughts, suggestions or tips on training Blue Dream appreciated.

Specifically, if you know how much you think it will stretch in this environment if I run a full 9 weeks of flowering, that would be a big help.

Also, how does Blue Dream like its nutes for good size buds without burning them.

I'm wondering how many branches to grow per plant with this strain without it getting too overgrown in that small of space. I'm not used to growing in such a small space.

Would you grow a main cola with 3-5 side branches? More, less?

Thanks for reading my journal and look forward to responses, I'll post more pics as the weeks progress.

Pics on day 1: https://www.420magazine.com/community/gallery/users/onehitter.221835/

IMG_20141208_193404227.jpg

IMG_20141208_193356644.jpg

IMG_20141208_193352826.jpg

IMG_20141207_205731961_HDR.jpg

IMG_20141207_205724218.jpg

Ok... I've never grown Blue Dream or grown in a tent but I'll give you a response.. :) next time use square pots.... they're more efficient for your type of setup. :) Have you tried to type any questions into our "frequently asked questions"? I've found responses usually come pretty quick there. Good Luck.

Really? 131 views and no responses?
Any advice on growing Blue Dream in a 4x8 tent would be much appreciated. Thanks

I saw your post on frequently asked questions and followed here for more info before responding.

Man that is a lot of plants! I am glad you are not vegging long.

I have not grown blue dream myself. Even if I had, there is no guarantee that whatever phenotype I may have grown would be the same as what you have here. So with that said here goes.

That many plants are likely to crowd each other when they mature. I would not top them, rather I would encourage single straight up stalks and flower early as you are doing. So that's good. The only other thing would be to trim branches off as the begin to grow to keep them single-cola style in as you go into flower.

No way to tell how much nutes they will like. You will have to start on the low end and find your limit with the nutes. I would suggest going half of whatever the bottle calls for in the directions. Since you have started in soil, you should not need to feed at all during veg and maybe even a week or two into flower.

Cool Seraphim,
Thanks for responding.
I was thinking the same about cutting branches to keep the growth in check.
Do you know anyone on this forum growing Blue Dream in sog style that may have some insight about how many tops per plant would maximize the grow space without crowding the room too much?
Again, thanks for the tips.

Personally I don't. Sorry.

You may want to just give it a go and see what happens. But again, flip in a week or less.

They were well rooted in 16 ounce cups in the same soil mix and I planted them deep. The pots were watered deep as well and haven't water since so the roots should grow searching for water.

Will flip it in 3-5 days and let her rip.

Will keep you posted.
BTW, nice plants you got.

You're going to have a serious jungle in your hands! I can't wait to see it man.

Cheers and happy growing. I will be checking back to see how things go.

Do you have a MH light by chance ? I would veg them for 2 weeks minimum & give them light nutes during the 2nd week ( Good soil )
You may want to consider taking half of them out & getting bigger pots for the next cycle. Easier to control & less problems. Then again I'm one inexperienced grower :)
FYI: I'm using Age Old Growth Fish Fertilizer , SuperThrive , BlastOff . I was using MaxiBloom & Jungle Juice for a short time. I quit using the two because the plants had a negative reaction. slight nute burn & shrinking leaves. All is good now :)

... and even that one week of veg is pushing it. IMHO

OneHitter, what type of plant is Blue Dream that you will use up 5 feet of vertical space? I have a Lemon Kush, Critical Haze, and a Sleestack Skunk that I vegged for 2 months and have been in flower for 42 days so far and none of those 3 are even close to having their tops near 5 feet. I do have one plant I'd bet was a Sativa that shot up over 3 feet tall but I think even she will finish well under 5 feet.

Thanks for the tips.
My tent is only 7' tall minus 2' for the lights, the distance from the plants and height of the pots, I don't think I can veg them that long.
My lights are HPS not MH.
Think in a week I'll flip and let 'er rip!

OneHitter, what type of plant is Blue Dream that you will use up 5 feet of vertical space?
Blue Dream is 80% sativa which tent to grow taller. I have never grown Blue Dream which is why I'm asking if anyone has grown it. From videos on YouTube it looks like it grows tall.

Thanks to the members giving encouragement and tips for my new grow.

It's been a while and growing in a tent seems like it's going to be a challenge. Maybe not but I've never crammed 2000 watts into such a small space before.

This should be interesting!

I will be posting updates at least weekly so check back in.

Anyone with experience growing Blue Dream? Chime in!
I want to hear what you think of her.