Online training

Sounds like you have contacted them, make sure that is a Certification/class they want/need you to have when hiring. As with any new industry lots of folks out to make money off folks that don't know better, why folks thought you meant one of them online cannabis growing "schools/classes" which one can learn as much (or more) reading a book or reading around the Forums here. Regulations here in Oregon are a lot looser for "workers", so it's more of a "not what you know but who you know" to get into it far as employment goes.

I have been in contact with them and have all the brochures for the classes being sent my way.

That’s interesting, very different here I guess, in my city of 250k there is 5 legal dispensary’s allowed all are open and there are no full size grow ops running yet, there are a few micro grows which are allowed to be no bigger of a canopy space of 2100sq ft there is also a nursery licence and a few nursery’s open they are allowed a max space of 580sq ft and only allowed to make clones and produce seeds.

I’m learning more daily as I reasearch more and more about it

I have been in contact with them and have all the brochures for the classes being sent my way.

That’s interesting, very different here I guess, in my city of 250k there is 5 legal dispensary’s allowed all are open and there are no full size grow ops running yet, there are a few micro grows which are allowed to be no bigger of a canopy space of 2100sq ft there is also a nursery licence and a few nursery’s open they are allowed a max space of 580sq ft and only allowed to make clones and produce seeds.

I’m learning more daily as I reasearch more and more about it

Also have to worry about them "changing the rules", or if anything like here anyway where it wasn't a very smooth transition for anybody that was doing it on the Med side, as typical govt. and they had to make things more complex than needed (and/or illogical as possible). But maybe they thought thru the whole thing a bit better up north and are less apt to not make up their minds like here ;) :rofl:

Town of 50k ish and we have at least 6 Dispensaries in town (a couple have more than one storefront), and a bunch of manufacturers in this County. But again supply and demand and I don't expect them all to be able to stay in business unless the Federal rules change.

Lol that sounds about right, governments never make things simple. Yeah I think it’s a bit of a gong show here still to some extent, we need more producers as the supply is very low and keeping prices to high. Some legal stores are charging 19 bucks a gram plus tax on top of that.

OH! That’s very interesting I wonder which course they took???!!!! Lol
That could be the push I need to dip into savings and quit my job and sign up :rofl:

I'm not sure. I know she's been working on it for a little while now. She's either finished or finishing soon. Seems very excited about it

Lol that sounds about right, governments never make things simple. Yeah I think it’s a bit of a gong show here still to some extent, we need more producers as the supply is very low and keeping prices to high. Some legal stores are charging 19 bucks a gram plus tax on top of that.

Such a glut here I can probably buy it cheaper than my electric bill and all the other costs of growing my own (which is legal here for up to 4 plants), but I prefer my own as I know what is in it, so I will buy at Dispensary sometimes if a Strain I want to try. Not "top shelf" obviously (but still high end/decent quality flower), Dispensaries here have $6 grams and $99 an ounce varieties and that includes the 20% sin tax in those prices.

Hey! Thanks for tagging me,

This is the program I took, just completed in March woooop

This is one of a few offered in Canada from an accredited Canadian college.

I dipped into my RRSP’s to pay for it but I’m looking at it as a investment for my future. I’ve already met so many great people and the connections from this program have been priceless. You can take this course anywhere in Canada (online) as long as you have a LP close by to do the practicum, or you can travel for that piece (I did). It’s fast paced and very interactive, daily forum participation etc is part of the mark. I did the program in 6 months, just received my marks and certificate. :) Good luck!

Course list and my fabulous final marks :D
3F475935-58DB-42A8-8B06-0956A2CA3D8D.jpeg

Thanks @newty :)
Olds college eh.... hmmmmmm lol that’s not terribly far away from me.

I read through the entire class breakdown etc, quite expensive indeed, just a question did you ever look into Cannabis compliance’s online courses?
I like that the olds college is “olds college” and not in Toronto, I also like the explanations of all what you will learn in their classes, the other one just has pin points of what you’ll learn not near as detailed.
Are you planning to work at a LP?
We’re you confined to taking the online classes during the daytime while instructors were available or was evenings and weekends also an option? Not sure I could work full time and take the classes at the same time lol
I won’t bombard you with a million questions, but I’m quite interested in this one the cost is more equal to the “master grower” certification that Cannabis compliance as there starter class runs 1300 I believe.

Congratulations anyways on stepping up and dipping into the rrsp’s lol I may have to do that also if I do end up going to one of these courses.

:thanks:

Hey Prairie!

The instructors were great and available evenings and weekends. This course runs Sunday to Sunday so no weekend breaks or holidays just straight through!

I took 2 courses at a time but honestly if I was working as well I would have only been able to handle one at a time (which is an option) I did the practicum about 2 hours west and the connections I made there alone were worth the money. I now have 2 very experienced master growers that I’m staying connected to, one is helping me with my resume and the other has agreed to mentor me professionally ongoing. I would highly suggest this course to anyone, I’m not concerned at all about finding work in the LP’s now and am actually being picky about where I go. I’m hoping to get into the commercial side of things, mostly for the experience and to build my resume, likely I’ll head west if I can’t find the right job I want near Edmonton. I’m still unsure of my path in cannabis so I’m hopeful this will lead me to it!

Good luck

Cannabis will be the largest growing industry in Canada no doubt. If I was younger I would definitely take a masters course in horticulture here. Canada is short on experienced growers, tons of job opportunities from the West coast to the East coast. Nows the time to start climbing that ladder to the top. I’ve seen too many young people owing over $12,000 for one year of university in a subject that goes no where. Any money spent on this will be well worth it for anyone who is enthusiastic about all the ins and outs of growing and is willing to put their time into it. The job possibilities are endless :slide:

Cannabis will be the largest growing industry in Canada no doubt. If I was younger I would definitely take a masters course in horticulture here. Canada is short on experienced growers, tons of job opportunities from the West coast to the East coast. Nows the time to start climbing that ladder to the top. I’ve seen too many young people owing over $12,000 for one year of university in a subject that goes no where. Any money spent on this will be well worth it for anyone who is enthusiastic about all the ins and outs of growing and is willing to put their time into it. The job possibilities are endless :slide:
Agreed!! Your message gives me chillllls

Cool thanks for the replies!
It’s something I’ve definitely looked over enough to gain my interest, there’s a couple LP’s being built near my city which would be the ideal option for me as I can’t relocate out west. But I am single and own my property and am not tied to my job in any way.
Having classes everyday I would definitely need some more back savings so I could quit my job, I couldn’t see working full time plus running a small farm possible and studying 7 days a week.
Lol that thought alone stresses me out.

I do not know you in any way but I’m so happy for you and your future in the industry it sounds like some amazing things are gonna happen in your life soon, thanks to legalization

Now seeings that the course is at a legitimate college I wonder if I could get a student loan to help cover my costs, I’m going to look into that this weekend.

And I fully agree with everything you said Rosie44 there are so many job opportunities popping up for people that have dedicated the time and money to get in on the industry early, and to be in early will definatly be a benefit towards climbing up in the field.

Back
Top Bottom