Ontario Cannabis Stores and Prohibition II

Oldbear

I'm totally speculating about how crazy it might get.

Will people get busted for 'illegal' seeds or clones? Will there be people hired to peek into back yards to count the plants? Really?

Interesting article about where the OCS will get knowledgeable staff? Likely bud tenders that have been busted (or not) will be a source.

The big corporation Licensed Producers have been assured that their monopoly will be protected. Dispensaries will be shut down they claim, but nothing has happened yet.

Interesting topic for sure.

Personally, I'd consider a cannabis-related arrest to be a negative. Not that I inherently have anything against ex-cons (et cetera) or anything, but unless LEO is really hardcore up there (and from the reading here, I get the impression that's not the case when it comes to cannabis) and they're doing things that, down here, we'd consider unConstitutional in order to make the arrests... Well, it's sort of a practical IQ test, isn't it? ;)

Most common reasons for getting busted around here (NOT in Canada) seem to be:
  • Telling someone.
  • Showing someone.
  • 87 vehicles per day parking out front - for a few minutes each.
  • Beating the sh!t out of your spouse when your residence is your "place of business," then failing to realize that, yes, LEO will be coming in to talk to you shortly.
  • Getting - noisily - wasted on your front porch with five of your friends... at 3:30am when neighbors are trying to sleep.
  • Growing pounds of "stunk" without a carbon filter in a densely-populated urban environment.
  • Driving past a cop while smoking a joint.
  • Transporting bulk amounts in an obviously illegal POS, doing so while speeding well above the limit, failing to maintain your lane, or otherwise utterly disregarding traffic laws/ordinances.
  • Trying to run warehouse-quality lighting amounts on overloaded residential circuits, and having the good(?) luck of the fire department being able to put out the resulting fire before all of the evidence goes up in smoke.
  • Stealing electricity, lights, et cetera.
  • Setting up a grow house in a nice neighborhood, spending thousands on equipment and utilities... then never mowing the f*cking yard or removing junk mail from the mailbox.
  • Making many thousands of dollars per year - but then getting greedy and ripping off your customers. (Okay, that one is more likely to end in a funeral than a bust, but still...)
  • "Branching out" into other substances or, if not, using the profits from your grow to purchase/use other substances.
  • Having an extensive successful indoor grow - then deciding to plant a couple out in the yard.
  • $2,200/month electric bill - in a residential neighborhood - when every other house on your street manages to have an electric bill under $250/month.

Stuff like that. I knew of a guy that grew outdoors for years, no problems. One year, he harvested late at night - filled his Wagoneer up. Went home, emptied out the Jeep, carried everything inside, spent the weekend trimming the harvest and such...

...and forgot that he'd had to strap a couple plants on top of the Jeep. Or cover them. What was the guy thinki-- oh, yeah, lofl... he wasn't.

Practical IQ test. There are probably "non-stupid" ways to get busted for cannabis. I just can't think of any of them. Winter storm causing a large tree to fall on your house and expose your grow, maybe. But, on average, how often does that happen?

OtOH:
"Mr. Johnson, it states here on your resume that you have extensive cannabis-growing experience, that you've been doing it for 25 years. Do you have any documentation of this?"
"No, sir, because I'm too smart to ever get noticed."
"Can you start on Monday?"
;)

Back
Top Bottom