Opinions for reliable PH meter?

I've used the same Bluelab probe for three years. Switched to my spare one at one point - but they give identical reading so I put it away again for a rainy day.

It wasn't the differences in cost money-wise that were the main issue. But messing around with unreliable meters that would go loopy - and then having roomfuls of plants get burned, was very stressful and totally lost its charm for me.

I'm glad to hear your probe has lasted three years. Do you have information as to the accuracy of the bluelab? Perhaps I'll look into it later. I get around the reliability issue by calibrating before each use.

I have too many higher priority purchases to make. I need better grow lights, in-line fans, and other miscellaneous gear. It's going to be tough enough to get core equipment that will increase my yield and make my grows easier. I do keep a spare pH meter on hand, as well as litmus paper for further backup.

The meter I have is a wall-mounted combination meter that reads ph, ppm, and temperature. Here's a pic of it.

image16662.jpeg

Gives this display when it powers up. Bonus points to the programmers at Bluelab for that little frill! :passitleft:

Before I got it I always measured nutes by the ml/gallon method. An accurate ppm meter makes mixing nutes way easier and more versatile- so that was a big step up for me.
As for the accuracy of the ph - bluelab is top of the line and I wouldn't expect to have any issues. The meter prompts me once a month, with a blinking light, to calibrate the ph. That's the only time I calibrate it - cause I get tired of seeing it blinking.
I use ph 7 and ph4 solutions. It's never been out by more than 0.1 on these occasions.

I don't have any issues with it only displaying to a resolution of one decimal point. That's all I need for what I'm doing.

Cheaper/mid price pens may be just as accurate- just more prone to breaking and going crazy. So 'reliable results' is relative. When it breaks - that can suddenly be a really serious issue for a hydro grower

Really- if the price has come down to around $200 now - I wouldn't even hesitate. Buying the bluelab was the end of an era of ph problems for me. At least any ph problems I have now are my own fault. Losing even one or two nice flowering plants that you've devoted a lot of time and love to grow- really totally offsets the money you 'saved' on a crappy meter. . Really it's unreliable results that cost a fortune.

You can save yourself a lot of that grief by taking good care of whatever meter you do use. Almost all ph probes need to be stored with the tip wet. Some claim to not need this- but most do. Generally if they dry out they're f&$@ed after that.
Some people have pretty good luck with cheap meters. I never did but I didn't try them all. They're all to be regarded as disposable though with luck you may get a good run with one. I don't regard my bluelab as disposable. It's just there.
Always keep a backup. I prefer the ph test drops to litmus paper. Having a backup will make the difference between a small headache and a very big one.

Another practise I've evolved is to mix my nutes ahead of time. I mix and ph them the day before if possible- or at least a few hours before, because there is usually some shifting in the first hour or so after mixing - and I just want to be sure I'm not fooling myself. This practise has saved me a lot of trouble.

There's a good thread on the forum called 'what is ph?' which is well worth a read if you're at all interested in the subject (or forced to be :) ) What is pH?

Ok so 200 was too good to be true. I do see them on eBay for less than 350 with shipping.
Anyway - I'm not an bluelab salesman must have said my two cents worth by now. Good luck!

That is a nice meter but unless you're running DWC/RDWC, Ebb and Flow or some other method using a reservoir it's probably way over kill. Then again if you are running those systems it probably pays for itself over and over.

No I'm growing in soilless. Not sure how it's overkill. All it does is measure ph,ppm, and temps (true- I don't really need to know the temp).
Mainly for me- it just measures ph reliably.

If I had a pen that did that just as well and was cheaper- I would be happy with that too.

Milwaukee EC60 LED Waterproof Combination Pocket EC/TDS/Temp Tester with Replaceable Electrode, 0 to 20.00 milliSiemens/cm, 0.01 milliSiemens/cm Resolution, 2 percent EC/TDS Accuracy, 0.0 to 60.0 degree C
Milwaukee EC60 LED Waterproof Combination Pocket EC/TDS/Temp Tester with Replaceable Electrode, 0 to 20.00 milliSiemens/cm, 0.01 milliSiemens/cm Resolution, 2 percent EC/TDS Accuracy, 0.0 to 60.0 degree C : Amazon.ca: Industrial & Scientific

I have never used this yet as I just ordered it, but Milwaukee makes some Excellent Tools.. I actually use there PH controller to automate PH levels "Milwaukee Instruments MC122 pH Controller" and its very accurate and work like a charm.

Oh man I didn't to mean to end up back on this thread so soon- but couldn't help it when I saw that name . The grow store I used to be mainly stuck with only carried Milwaukee ph pens. Not the one just mentioned. I think mine was called the ph600 (?) or something like that. I created a small mountain of dead ones at $80 a pop. Never again. They do make good power tools though

Heard good things about the Eco2 pen, and also the bluelab pen.

If I had a pen that did that just as well and was cheaper- I would be happy with that too.

That was my only point as to why I thought it may be overkill. The EC/PPM doesn't fluctuate that much to where a meter check every so often is difficult. Temps are only imprtant if you are running a reservour. PH on the other hand is an almost daily thing for me anyway in coco. The nutes after mixing shift up from first mix to the end of the bucket. I mix up nutes 2x per week a head of time. A good pen is worth it. I will be buying one before my next run. I see it as a sound investment.

Thanks for the feedback on the Milwaukee pens. They do make good power tools. I am still leaning towards the Blue lab.

Back
Top Bottom