Opinions wanted on green light in flowering room after lights out

The only time I feel the need to get in there is when I have one in flowering that I think is "almost ready" to be whacked. Been told that even a couple of minutes of light before the dirty deed is enough to get everything moving up from the roots again so if I can clip a couple samples and take them to a lit room to examine it seems like it oughta save 24 hours. Other than that... I don't go in there. Anyway, thats my story :)

Edited to add... when I did this at 5am yesterday morning I found enough amber on a Grand Daddy Purple clone to pull it before the lights came on. She's in the dark now, thought I'd try your 48 hour of darkness before cutting trick, see if I can tell any difference.
sorry to resurrect an old thread, but my curiosity about light shock etc led me here. did the 48hr of dark before cutting have a discernible affect?

Hi BeaverIslander,

I'd like to respond to your question with a potentially provacative statement. I think the whole "even a little light will hermie your plants" thing is wrong. Realize a bunch of folks will suggest they've had or seen it happen or know some story about it, or read in a this or that book, but I suggest the attributions of light exposure causing stress/hermie's is a case of correlation without causation. That is to say that yes, the plants did hermie and perhaps there was a light leak or light within the tent, but haven't seen proof it was caused by said light.

Common sense tells me cannabis grown outdoors is exposed to incidental light from a variety of sources. The moon for one. I've seen nights (and so has eveyone else) where the moon was bright enough to walk safely in an unfamiliar area without additional lighting. I've read the whole "but the moon isn't bright enough to..." argument to which I suggest that it's a heck of lot more light than the power button on the LED light hanging in there, to which I've seen some attribute as the cause of plants hermi'ing. I've seen people suggest it was a computer power button or monitor all the way across the room! And yet think of all the plants growing outdoors that are exposed to streetlights or patio lighting from their own or neighbors yards. I don't hear stories of how those lights caused someones plant to hermie.

I personnally do not require complete stealth. I use a tent, but rarely zip it up. Day or night. I've gone into my grow area many times during lights out and have turned on lights in the room to move around safely. We have two computers in the same room, one of which my wife regularly leaves on (monitor too):rollingeyes: and I've yet to have a plant hermie - ever.

One cycle, I was fighting heat issues and flipped the lights on/lights off schedule completely so lights on would be exactly when they previously had been lights out. No hermie. Burned out a timer in the middle of a grow once and light stayed on 24 hours before I was aware. No hermie.

I realize I'm too am using antecdotal (correlation/causation) evidence to back up my suggestion or explain my thinking but it's difficult to prove a negative or the absence of something and suggest we temper some of the stuff we've read or learned, with a little common sense and experience.

Off my soapbox now. Thanks for humoring me.

Be well and happy growing!
I've read that the most critical part is the first few weeks of flowering, but should be ok with occasional light in the grow room after that. I've been growing for a couple years straight, and only had one plant go partially hermie, and I blamed it on a lighting problem I had at that time. Growing decent Erb is not as difficult as some make it out to be.

Back
Top Bottom