Optimum LED Watts For 1 Metre Square?

ZeroZero1

i have a small grow room 80*80*180 what would be the 'wattage' of a perfect light (for flow and veg). I understand there is a difference between watts (actual power used and claimed'watts' viz a viz hps etc, what I mean is what is the perfect size light (actual watts) given that the PAR thing remains equal...

Just some idea would be good, i ma thinking of 700 watt Mars or 600 Reflector series. I have noticed others growing with 90 watts LED is this overkill?

thanks all...:Namaste:

30 too 50 watts per sqf
160 true watts would do

So.. What do you think of this setup for a 4x4 tent (1,2mt2):

40 leds x 3w (100W Real). 4 modules per panel (3). Total: 300 Watts Real.

1 CREE XP-E White 6500 ° K

3 OSRAM OSLON SSL 80, 660 nm (hyper red)

OSLON SSL April 80, 630 nm (red)

1 OSLON SSL 80, 470 nm (blue)

1 OSLON SSL 80, 445 nm (deep blue)

Meanwell "LPV 100-24" Drivers.

Aluminum heat sink (80 x 10 x 1.8 cm) finned to dissipate heat well without a fan, thus they are totally silent.

1_zps21133170.jpg

2_zpsa8a35564.png

What could improve for the Next panel that I built?

Then finally it is more convenient 2 XGS 190 for my 4x4x6.5??
How many watts consumed by each panel, and how much they weigh? I ask because I have to import it and the dimensions and weight are important to see shipping cost.

Hello ZeroZero,

LEDs are tricky buggers to calculate as not all LEDs are created equally one companies 100watts worth of LEDs is not going to be equal to the next companies for various reasons, 1 being lumens per watt (crap measurement for plants) will vary, another being the angle of the LED lense, ratios of wavelengths. So wattage per meter square is not really a useful measure.

Far better to suss out the basics, what strain am I growing, how would I like that strain to physically grow (as light manipulates all sorts of functions within plants) how tall until I flip it and a bit of guestimation on how tall you think it will get after the flip and stretch.

This will give you a baseline and from their you can start thinking about different types of LED set ups, if you require more info Pm and I will help you out.:thumb:

I've been planning on doing a long technical thread on this in the near future, but for now... If the panel you are using contains high quality diodes (ie Cree, Lumiled, Olsen, Bridgelux) 35 watts (of actual draw current) per square foot of growing area is adequate coverage. If the diodes are of lower quality (ie epistar, Epiled, Semi) that number is closer to 50 watts per square foot. much like HPS.

The number of plants you are covering is irrelevant. You are lighting the area that the plant takes up.

MarCo, I would suggest a little more white, altho you didn't list the number of 630nm diodes you where going to use. I'm still testing a few more theories atm so I don't want to mislead you but I have been having much better results with 660nm reds than with 630's. That's just from my current results and I have noticed that different strains respond much differently than others under the exact same ratios.

Took some advice frm TopLEd, giving my tent dimensions, they recommended a 700watt Mars - bought it. Funny though, they sent the' recommended distances' via email after, and its five feet for flowering. They knew my tent dimensions - so I dont understand. Its not in use yet so cant say more...

Took some advice frm TopLEd, giving my tent dimensions, they recommended a 700watt Mars - bought it. Funny though, they sent the' recommended distances' via email after, and its five feet for flowering. They knew my tent dimensions - so I dont understand. Its not in use yet so cant say more...

Whoa is that 700watts actual draw in an area 80cm2 x 180 high?

Ask them what the degree angle is on the diode lens, if they are wide and the 700w figure is not actual draw, but considerable lower then you might be able to get away with hanging it lower...

I made a mistake in the above post, the actual recommended distance is quoted as 3- 3.5 ft, even so, that's a lot of distance for a small gro tent. Looks like a good light though...

I emailed TopLED and they replied (before I returned to this thread to see the further info) here are their replies:

Dear

Hello ,

We suggest to put the light 3-3.5ft above your plant in flowering period, this is the average distance but you can put it closer or higher than what we suggest, it depands on what kind of plant you are growing.

Sarah runs our growing forum on 420 magzine, she knows about this very well, if you want to know more about the details, sarah could tell you more.

Hope this info works for you:)

Regards!

Sue

- lgledsolutionslimited-uk
Reply in your email program or through My Messages
Respond Now

To: lgledsolutionslimited-uk
Subject: Re: Hope everything is well....Look forward to your 5 star positive feedback~~ O(∩_∩
Sent Date: 03-Jun-14 13:07:00 BST

Dear lgledsolutionslimited-uk,

I am puzzled! I asked Sarah Hu for advice about which light to purchase for my tent - giving the exact dimensions (80*80*180cm) and she advised that I should go for a Mars 2 700Watt. When I read below you advise that the light should be 3.5ft away from the grow this only leaves about 50cm (1.6ft) for the plant and pot, once you take away some space for the light and hangings.

Please advise. Can you tell me how near (maximum) you can hang this light to a flowering plant?

Subject: Hope everything is well....Look forward to your 5 star positive feedback~~ O(∩_∩
Sent Date: 03-Jun-14 10:tommy:07 BST

Dear ,

Dear Valued Customer,

The transaction was great, thank you for choosing us^-^

We believe that you have received your order now and hope that all is well and hope you are satisfied with our products and service!

Here are some guidelines to follow in order to maximize the performance of your LED grow light.
Wattage of light unit and distance from plant during:
Seedling & veggetative period:
135W~165W----------1~1.5(ft)
240W~450W----------1.5~2(ft)
600W~900W----------2.5~3.5(ft)
1000W~1200W--------3.5~4(ft)
Flowering period:
135W~165W----------1.5~2(ft)
240W~450W----------2~3(ft)
600W~900W----------3~3.5(ft)
1000W~1200W--------4~4.5(ft)
We suggest each square meter use 300~450w(power draw 170~260w) led

Note: Using LED requires less overall water and nutrients, but may require extra cal/mag as the plant structure will be different, inc: wider leaves even on sativas and stems exposed to light may become purple (this is not a deficiency!)

NOT recommended to expose plants to more than 20 hours of LED light per day.
NOT waterproof, do not use in or around irrigation systems where water may come into contact with the light unit.
DO NOT look directly at the LEDs, The light may cause impaired vision.

The MARS 2 - 5W lights are equipped with a daisy chain function although 1500W total draw MUST NOT be exceeded as it may cause a fire risk.
The REFLECOTER lights : Use 'Grow' switch during vegetative period and use both 'Grow' & 'Flower' during flowering/fruiting period

If you are satisfied with our products and service, Please leave us a 5 star positive feedback as we are a sincere seller that is always striving to provide the best customer satisfaction that is possible!

If for any reason you are unhappy with the product or service that you have received, contact us immediately with your grievance so that we can resolve the issues as quickly as possible!
We will reply with a solution within 24 hours!

Best regards!

- lgledsolutionslimited-uk

Mars2 700W LED Grow Light 5W Led Kit Free Hanger Veg Flowering hydro Panel
Mars2 700W LED Grow Light 5W Led Kit Free Hanger Veg Flowering hydro Panel
Item Id: 321370534916
End time: 03-Jul-14 07:goof:52 BST

Seller:

lgledsolutionslimited-uk (11)
100.0% Positive Feedback
Member since 13-Mar-14 in China

The Mars II has 120 degree primary lenses only. The reflector series is 120 degree diodes but the reflectors have different angles. I'm not sure if that information is public so I'll leave that as it is for now.

Hi :) What does this mean? Viz a Viz other lights? Is it good/bad?

It means they are wide angled so you will probably be good at the recommended height of 3-3.5ft, although to be honest I think a measurement from a quantum meter at the recommended height and lower will be a better indicator as to what is going on.

I think there are some ok phone apps out there that you can use to measure, possibly you could get away with lower I would start from 12inches if you notice any leaf damage pull em off to make next reading easier then move up another 2-4inches and so on and so on until you find a sweet spot which is hopefully lower than quoted.

there:-D

Im nearly finished my first grow with Cfls, you can find ze link in my signature.

For my next grow im getting a 6'x8' shed as kids and relatives are an issue for an in house grow. I was going to use a hps light BUT im slightly more convinced that a led would be better as long as I can afford it:-D

The actual grow area will be 6x4 as I want to have a small section for cloning and such.

Heres a light that within my imaginary budget( all depends on the yeild from my current grow)

Isit sufficient enough for the area?

Im planning on 4 tanks that im currently using with 2 plants in each and I want to grow them as big as now, 5 feet.
Wouod I be better of doing SOG? Yield wise that is.
Much appreciated:)

Back
Top Bottom