OR: Linn County First To Put Marijuana Issue On November Ballot

Katelyn Baker

Linn County is the first local government agency to submit a Notice of Measure Election concerning recreational marijuana production and sales to the Linn County Clerk's Office.

Commissioners Roger Nyquist and John Lindsey on Wednesday approved the measure's wording that will put the issue of whether retail marijuana production and sales will be allowed in Linn County on the November ballot.

Commissioner Will Tucker was not present due to a medical issue.

"We had to make a decision months ago about the ability to refer this to the voters," Nyquist said. "This is the mechanics of that decision, the next step in getting it to the voters so they can decide."

Nyquist added, "There are enough unknowns and moving parts that we felt it was a big enough decision to engage the citizens of Linn County and they can have the final say."

He also said that over the past year, the Legislature has " ... brought some clarity to some of the issues surrounding marijuana, but we are not going to rehash whether to put it on the ballot."

Linn County elections supervisor Derrick Sterling said incorporated communities have until Sept. 8 to file similar measures if they want them on the November 8 general election ballot.

The city councils of Lebanon, Albany, Brownsville and Sweet Home have said they plan to refer the issue to voters, but as of June 27, none had filed with the county.

Although recreational marijuana production and sales are legal in Oregon, the Legislature allowed cities and counties to enact moratoriums on implementation of the law and to put the question before local voters.

Oregon voters approved recreational marijuana by a 56 to 44 percent margin, but Linn County voters turned it down, 53 percent in opposition to 47 percent in favor.

If approved by voters, the county's new measure would " ... prohibit the establishment of the operation of retail marijuana producers, retail marijuana processors, retail marijuana wholesalers and marijuana retailers in areas of Linn County that are outside of incorporated cities."

Should Linn County voters reject recreational marijuana sale and production, it would "not prohibit the personal use of recreational marijuana nor the use or growing of medical marijuana under the Oregon Medical Marijuana Program in areas of Linn County that are outside of incorporated cities."

If voters approve recreational marijuana production and sales, Linn County has already created an area zoned Urban Development II between Riverside Drive and Oakville Road west of Tangent on Highway 34.

It would be the only area in the county outside of incorporated cities where marijuana production would be allowed.

In March 2015, the commissioners also approved a code text amendment that excepts the "propagation, cultivation, harvesting, storage, processing or disposal by marketing of marijuana from the definition of farm use, limited farm use and commercial activity in conjunction with farm use."

All three commissioners have been adamant against marijuana legalization based on beliefs it will be harmful to children and families and that it may entice drug cartels to move into the mid-valley and create large-scale operations that create public safety issues for neighbors.

credThinkstock.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Linn County First To Put Marijuana Issue On November Ballot
Author: Alex Paul
Photo Credit: Thinkstock

Funny, I wonder if they had those same concerns when the micro-breweries started popping up all over Oregon? Were they concerned about the children then? Were they concerned that having a micro-brew might bring in the likes of Al Capone or Lucky Luciano?

I have never heard nor know of anyone out here saying they want children to either partake in the consumption of MJ or in the growing or distribution of it. This is just typical fear mongering.

I will be the 1st to say I do NOT want children involved with MJ at any level unless it is prescribed by a doctor but then again I can also say I do not want children drinking alcohol, smoking cigarets, taking prescriptions pharmaceuticals that are not prescribed by a doctor and a few other thing.. say how about not allowing them to drive cars, no one suggests you let small children drive cars, so since they could grab mom or dads car keys and take the rig for a spin should we out law driving?
As I said, nothing more then fear mongering, unfortunately many people fall for such tactics.

Back
Top Bottom