Oregon DHS Refuses Food Donation From Pro-Marijuana Group

Jacob Redmond

n Oregon government agency refused food donations from a pro-marijuana group. The Women Leaders in Cannabis in the city of Eugene made a food donation to the Thanksgiving food drive for homeless people, but it was declined, KOMO News reports.

The group says Oregon's Department of Human Services (DHS) accepted its offer at first, but changed its mind due to the group's involvement in the pot business.

Lindsey Jacobsen, the executive director of Women Leaders in Cannabis, told KATU News that the group is "a nonprofit trade organization based on philanthropy."

Jacobsen said the group — consisting of about 30 pot industry business leaders — wanted to collect food and donate it to the needy.

"The first place I reached out to was the Department of Human Services because when I was in high school I was in Future Business Leaders of America and we did the same type of program and that's who we worked with," Jacbosen said.

Jacobsen said the DHS office in Eugene had to discuss it with administrators before initially accepting the donation. A few days later, the government office told the pro-marijuana group that wouldn't be able to work with them "due to too much time being spent on it," Jacbosen said.

A reporter asked DHS about its decision to refuse the food donation. Jacobsen said she expected to hear it had something to do with their affiliation with supporting the pot business.

"It's disheartening," she said. "We have lives just like everybody else, families, jobs. We're just happy to be able to give back now that we have the opportunity to."

DHS spokesman Gene Evans said said it's not agency or state policy that resulted in its refusal of the food donation, but the decision of one office.

Evans wrote an email to KATU as part of his official statement on the food donation controversy.

"Their decision not to accept the donations was based on discomfort with the connection of a marijuana organization to DHS human services. ...," Evans wrote. "The Eugene office felt that baskets sponsored by this organization could create the impression that we endorsed cannabis."

"I don't see how being involved in a positive way could do any harm." Jacobsen said. "We'll keep finding people that want to work with us and I think in the future people will be reaching out to us, hopefully."

DHS offered to refer the donation to other groups, but Jacobsen said that Autism Rocks was willing to receive 20 baskets of the donated food that included turkeys, stuffing, and all the trimmings.

16555.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Oregon DHS Refuses Food Donation From Pro-Marijuana Group
Author: Heather Tooley
Photo Credit: None Found

There is irony in the Department of Human Services not wanting to take gifts from an organization that represents what is arguably the most health affirming, joy creating plant on the planet.

I looked up the Mission statement
OREGON DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN SERVICES
The mission of the Department is to help Oregonians in their own communities
achieve wellbeing and independence through opportunities that protect,
empower, respect choice and preserve dignity.

Endorsing human wellbeing through an herb that promotes health and brings joy during the holidays, while respecting Oregonians who choose cannabis, and desire the dignitiy to be free of pain and opiod dependence seems VERY compatible with their mission statement.

I despise people who are willfully ignorant.

Being an Oregonian myself I am flabbergasted but this article. I would be curious to know if they refuse donations from religious organizations too? How about corporate organizations? Last I check, Marijuana is legal in Oregon, both medical AND recreational. Time to start making phone calls to my state representatives and see if we can get to the bottom of this BS. If their only concern is they do not want to based on discomfort with the connection of a marijuana organization to DHS human services. …,” Evans wrote. “The Eugene office felt that baskets sponsored by this organization could create the impression that we endorsed cannabis.”

Ok just got off the phone with the answering machine for the district manager for Eugene's DHS. I left a lengthy message and left my phone number asking for a reply.
Any other Oregonians on the site should also call and voice their concerns about this. It is just wrong. The food drive is to feed the homeless, if it is a legal entity they should be excepting the donation, weather they approve or not, it is not their decision to make. The voters in Oregon made that decision for them.

While it shouldnt be their call... Did they ask the hungry, needy families if they cared where the food came from?

Same time..
Something tells me the DHS recieves federal funding. That said... Funding would cease if they did accept donations from cannabis supporters/leaders. Maybe thats why they said no? But why they wouldnt give the reason..?

Ugh..people

Back
Top Bottom