Oregon Health Fund Board

Stoney Girl

I went to the Oregon Health Fund Board meeting tuesday and listened to the talk about the problems of providing healthcare for uninsured Oregonians. They had many ideas, many plans, and no ideas about how to pay for any of it.

I testified before the Board about the vast savings in healthcare costs that medical marijuana has brought me personally, and that many other mmj patients are also reducing their healthcare costs just like me. The problem is that we cannot prove our anecdotal stories without actual research. I asked for that research.

I then went on to report that Voter Power and Oregon Green Free had been holding public meetings across the State of Oregon for the last two years to find out from patients what they felt was the most important need for improving the Oregon Medical Marijuana Act. What we found after two years of public input was that patients need safe legal access to marijuana in the form of regulated Dispensaries.

Then I told them that we had a plan to provide both dispensaries and research and that our plan comes complete with funding. I turned in a copy of our dispensary initiative to the Chair of the Committee and everyone seemed very interested, especially since we included funding with our findings and recommendations.

When I finished, 5 people came up to me and told me I did a great job, including a lady from the Board.

I don't know if this will result in legislative action, but I have great hope, especially since one of the Board members was on the Finance Committee.

Good for you, congradulations. I only wish I lived in Oregon. Carry on with best wishes. :adore:

Sounds like you really did your homework. Excellent work!

We had hoped to get this on the ballot in November, but we don't have the funding for a campaign this year, especially since we have been under heavy fire all year from the Work-Drug-Free Program and The Governor's Council on Alcohol and Drug Abuse Programs, not to mention the Crimefighter Act.

At this point, we are planning to put it on the ballot for 2010. But in the meantime, I am taking it to the legislature and encouraging others to do so as well. I know at least one other person has taken it to the Health Policy Commission.

Currently we have Ballot Measure 53, which repeals Measure 3 (which we voted in twice) on the primary ballot in May. Measure 3 siad that the police have to have a conviction to confiscate property. They're broke, they need money, so a retired State Trooper who has been elected to the 16th district down there in Albany brought this and since he is a member of the Oregon House of Representatives, he doesn't hve to pass petitions to get his bill on the ballot. In fact, he declared an emergency to have it placed on the May Primary Ballot.

Got this from their outreach forum. I've gotten their attention.

The Oregon Medical Marijuana Program: Support of alternative medicine or contradiction of federal law?
The Oregon Medical Marijuana Act was adopted by voters in the November 3, 1998 general election (Ballot Measure 67). The Act was amended by House bill 3052, passed during the 1999 legislative session. The Act was again amended by Senate bill 1085, passed during the 2005 legislative session.

The Act intends:

(1) To allow Oregonians with debilitating medical conditions who may benefit from the medical use of marijuana to receive the benefit of their doctor's professional advice regarding the possible risks and benefits of medical marijuana;

(2) To allow Oregonians suffering from debilitating medical conditions to use small amounts of marijuana without fear of civil or criminal penalties when their doctors advise that such use may provide a medical benefit to them; and

(3) To make only those changes to existing Oregon laws that are necessary to protect patients and their doctors from criminal and civil penalties, and are not intended to change current civil and criminal laws governing the use of marijuana for non-medical purposes.

Supporters say marijuana is an important option for pain relief when other drugs do not work. As of April 1, 2008, 16,635 Oregonians have been issued medical marijuana cards that protect them from criminal prosecution under state laws. This protection does not extend to federal laws; under which marijuana is classified as a schedule I controlled substance.

Some advocates of the medical marijuana program would like Oregon to enact dispensary laws similar to those adopted in California, but some Oregonians express concern that this will also lead to the abuses seen in California. Recently the CBS program "60 Minutes" documented the ease with which many without a medical need could pay doctors to write prescriptions. Also weighing in are those who would like to substitute a THC pharmaceutical product for the program (as reported in the Willamette Week).

What would work in Oregon, and to what extent should the state enact laws that conflict with federal law?

Tax & Regulate Medical Marijuana was mentioned as a funding mechanism in one of the OHFB's reports. I continue to lobby I-28 through committees and commissions and task forces. I have a meeting with my brand new Representative to discuss sponsorship of it as a bill.

Unfortunately, OR NORML swears they will fight dispensaries in Oregon, no matter what.

Back
Top Bottom