Organic soil amendments & additives

Hi Bob, if I want to use some crustacean meal, do I have to remove some other thing in the mix? I assume it's calcium rich and slow to release in the form I see it in(pretty course). Also how much would I start with and re-amend with? Thanks for the fine soil recipe Autofacade!

No need to substitute anything.

Top dress at 1-2 tbs per gal of soil in a container is the advertised app rate.

It's got a fair amount of Nitrogen (chitin slower release) also has Calcium and Magnesium in the proper ratios like 12:1 and is slower release.

Chitin in spades so it will get the microbes going.

That all said, I usually scratch in a few tbs per container (I just added some last night). I'm in 7.5gal containers.

I also will add some to my soil I have sitting in tubs. Let it break down some and use that soil for my VEG plants.

I usually add in a few tbs of Neem Meal to go with it in my soil tubs. Check the tubs a few days later... wow its alive.

With new amendments I've not tried yet, I always go easy. This one you can use a heavy hand since its slow release and will actually help with aeration in your soil.

It's seasonal depending on what crabs etc are being harvested. So you may fine CRAB meal or LOBSTER meal or CRUSTACEAN meal ... these are all basically the same thing.

I use lobster meal from Coat of Main and I also have a large tub (3 gal) of crustacean meal on my shelf.

We use it up outdoors in the spring. Just be aware outdoors it will attract 4 legged critters and birds (not that bad a thing unless seabirds) so bury it in the soil outdoors.

No need to substitute anything.

Top dress at 1-2 tbs per gal of soil in a container is the advertised app rate.

It's got a fair amount of Nitrogen (chitin slower release) also has Calcium and Magnesium in the proper ratios like 12:1 and is slower release.

Chitin in spades so it will get the microbes going.

That all said, I usually scratch in a few tbs per container (I just added some last night). I'm in 7.5gal containers.

I also will add some to my soil I have sitting in tubs. Let it break down some and use that soil for my VEG plants.

I usually add in a few tbs of Neem Meal to go with it in my soil tubs. Check the tubs a few days later... wow its alive.

With new amendments I've not tried yet, I always go easy. This one you can use a heavy hand since its slow release and will actually help with aeration in your soil.

It's seasonal depending on what crabs etc are being harvested. So you may fine CRAB meal or LOBSTER meal or CRUSTACEAN meal ... these are all basically the same thing.

I use lobster meal from Coat of Main and I also have a large tub (3 gal) of crustacean meal on my shelf.

We use it up outdoors in the spring. Just be aware outdoors it will attract 4 legged critters and birds (not that bad a thing unless seabirds) so bury it in the soil outdoors.
Alrighty! Thanks, I'll do that when I get some. Neem meal too.

small amounts but every couple of weeks works for me but it depends on the size of the plants and I use 10 gallon cloth pots only for soil as I find the larger the pot the better, pretty hard to burn with organic additives - I use a 3 water only system then a weak tea dose and then back to water , I use alfalfa pucks (horse treat ) as a top cover hand grind and spread around the top of the pot , I keep the top of my pots moist with a hand sprayer between watering couple of squirts only , I must have 8 different buckets of Gia Green additives that I add to my teas every now and then and just keep changing it up depending on where my plants are , veg or flower
20200316_061229[11541].jpg
20200317_055125[11539].jpg

3 Colombian golds just 3 days in to flower unders mars ts 1000 watt leds x 3 in a 4x4x8 tent and r.o. water , don't have a clue what my ph is and don't care ,

I find the secret is in the original soil mix and I make my own soil all store bought bags of compost mix , worm castings perilite and then a bunch of gia green products and molasses , and bacteria and mycorrhiza , I go from 1 gallon pots to the 10 gallon pots , screw the up potting thing just water slowly around the stem while they are young , they will seek out that water if it is any where near the stem .

these plants popped their heads out of the soil jan 31st and have topped twice and trimmed a shit ton of leaves off and they are still growing out of control as you can see , they are 17 inches tall .true organic soil is the easiest and laziest way to grow just keep up with the microbes -feed them constantly and add constantly .

this is my 3rd try at soil as I was always a coco grower before and loved the results , but this is a lot easier , it took me 3 tries to finally figure it out , build a good soil from the start then feed the microbes and let those little buggers do all the rest of the work , put any thing you can get your hands on in small amounts when you build your soil as it will take a while for the microbes to break it down to make it available to the plants , I don't even cook my soil mix before hand , molasses is fantastic and I add it to every 3rd watering ,don't know what my yield will be but I know it will be a good one , I have learnt that small amounts of every thing and heavy on the microbes and good quality water to start with is the secret .

I have never grown with out topping , I find my plants are usually at their height limit by the end of flower with out growing in to the lights , what will happen if I don't top , I suspect I will only get 1 top cola and a bunch of small bud sites , I was always told topping is best but I have never tried with out topping , I guess I should try this idea out ,now you got me thinking again and it hurts my brain ,time for a bowl -lol - maybe a sadistic person and enjoy torturing my plants , I love my puppy and won't beat the wife ,someone has to enjoy my stress relief -lol

I only top a plant in VEG IF she's not gonna make the current round.. basically an extra plant which I usually have.

Try not topping 1 plant and see how it goes. I always thought topping was a requirement until an old timer grower told me I was loosing yields and time. I tried it and never looking back.

I get decent hauls without the need to slow things down. I use kelp meal and will spray with kelp tea - this promotes side branching (PGRs in Kelp). It's not an issue.

Welcome! So I've decided to make a little article with a list of amendments that I commonly use in my living soil both before a grow, during a grow and after. This is a list of all the NPKs and uses for each. It's more as a "note taking place" for myself that I will update and add to, but also for people to take a look themselves and even add their input. So welcome, and hopefully this helps some people!

NPK (Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potasium)

Nitrogen
is used mostly for the growth and vegging stage along side potassium

Phosphorus for the flowering stage but also needed throughout.

Potasium essential in all phases of growth.

List of amendments and NPK value:

Horn & Hoof meal 13-0-0
Blood meal 13-1-0.6
Worm casts 1-0-0
Alfalfa meal 2.5-1-1
Bat guano K 3-15-4
Bat guano N 10-3-2
Bone meal 3-15-0
Steamed bone meal 1-13-0
Guanokalong fish 4-5-1
Fish blood and bone 5-5-6.5
Seaweed meal 1-0-4
Palm tree ash 0-0-30
Rock dust 0-0-1
Oyster shell meal 0.36-0-0
Epsom salt 0-0-0

There are hundreds more out there but these are the most common I use and hear about. But what does each product also do and what is it good for?

Horn Hoof meal:
Slow releasing good nitrogen source can take up to 4-6weeks to start releasing so get it early. Will continue to release nitrogen for up to a year. Helps green vigorous growth, healthy stems, soil structure and helps root growth.

Blood meal:
A quick release nitrogen fert. Breaks down alot quicker that horn and hoof it is also water soluble so can be watered in if needed. Be careful as this is a fairly hot amendment and can easily burn plants due to its quick release but great if your nitrogen deficient. Also to note can help lower ph in soils.

Worm castings:
IMO one of the greatest amendments out there! This super poop from worms is a great fertiliser that releases a small amount of nitrogen but this can never burn plants (it is a finnished amendment) so great for giving those seedlings and small plants a great beginning. By adding this to my seedling soil mix my babies never get hungry and grow alot quicker. This stuff is full of beneficial microbes and bacteria and humic acid which helps with nutrient uptake. It's also highly absorbent so it can be helpful to increase moisture held in the soil and with a neutral ph of 7. And the icing on the cake it's full of trace elements and minerals. What's not to love!!

Alfalfa meal:
This multi vitamin for your plants is great for a booster not only nitrogen but a little P and K also. This holds alot of trace minerals and vitamins such as A E and B. The best is that even as a powder it holds triacantonol a fatty acid which is a great growth hormone for your plants. Helps with root and stem production. This stuff is a growth boost on it's own. The best way to use alfalfa is to also make a sprout tea from them. (Check out my other links).

Bat guano:
Not the nicest of stuff.... bat poo but oh boy is it good for soil. This can help with soil structure act as a natural fugaside and can help keep nematobes in check. Depending on which one you have N or P (in the uk we can only get P) will depend on its use I will be talking about the P. This stuff is packed with phosphorus which can be used as top dressing, soil mix ingredient and in teas. It has a complete range of micro and macro nutrients and holds an abundance of microbial life, for me this is the flowering version of worm casts. It also buffers ph and helps with root growth creating lovely colonies of root fauna. This stuff is really something you want to look up as its list is endless. I always mix this in and add it all throughout flowering.

Bone meal:
Get this in early as it takes a while to start breaking down but a great slow release phosphorus amendment. Helping with soil structure and a great way of getting calcium into the soil with its constant slow release.

Steamed bone meal:
Same as above but steamed makes it softer and easier for the soil to break it down, Its also not as strong so wont burn your plants as easy.

Guanokalong fish/ fish blood and bone:
Is a bit of a multi purpose fert adding nitrogen and phosphorus but also a little potasium. This stuff is great for adding trace minerals also has a mixture of slow and quick releasing properties. Also helps with root development.

Seaweed meal:
One of the best things out there. With next to no NPK with only very small amounts of potasium. But this stuff is like gold dust. Whilst in the sea, seaweed is in a rich soup of minerals salts and goodness that it then absorbs. When you bring it into your soil all of it gets released as it breaks down. This lovely plant holds huge amounts of minerals, vitamins and natural enzymes creating a natural growth stimulant. It also helps with overall health of the plant making it more resistant to temp changes and disease. Studies have found that sea weed can increase yield to 40% in some crops. I use this from seedling until last couple weeks of flower. Seaweed meal in my soil and as top dress I also make fresh seaweed into mulch and liquid seaweed in my teas and foliar spray.

Palm tree ash:
The potasium boost king! Without potasium there is no nutrient uptake no photosynthesis and no growth or anything! With palm tree ash it gives all the potasium a plant will need I use a little in my soil mix, top dress through out the growth and up the quantities throughout the flowering stage. It also holds a some phosphorus and a good source of magnesium. Flowering the plants go into over drive and to get really big fruits you need potasium! Alot of growers mis out the potasium and focus on the phosphorus. And dont realise that those buds dont fill out or fatten up until it's too late. Get this stuff in your soil. Its partially liquid soluble so I add it to my teas aswell.

Rock dust/volcanic dust:
Packed full of minerals and trace elements I use this in flowering more so. To ensure that all the flowers develop to there full potential in size, aroma, taste and potency.

Oyster shell meal:
My biggest sauce of calcium (96% calcium carbonate), it is difficult to get calcium into your soil when using organics but this stuff makes up for it. It also has other micronutrients on board aswell. But It is a slow release fertiliser so by putting this into your soil early on pays dividend. Calcium is also very slow moving in the plant so make sure it's mixed into your soil well before using it. I then add this into my teas.

Epsom salts:
Good in small quantities alot of people use this in hydroponics also to add back in important magnesium to RO water. This stuff is strong so a little goes a long way. It is magnesium sulfate. By adding this into the soil it helps with healthy growth and avoiding one of the most common deficiencies... mag deficiency. Magnesium helps with the uptake and transport of nutrients especially nitrogen and Phosphorus two of the biggies! Having a deficiency can end up with almost a lock out affect.

All of the above amendments I use in my super soil mix and re-ammending soil once it's been spent. I never chuck my soil away it gets added to the pile along with anything that's left from my teas this way it can cook and break down while my currently crop is working away.

I hope this helps people. I like it just to remind myself of what when and why kinda thing.
Hello Autofacade, I was reading over your ingredients for the supersoil recipe you mentioned above. Just wondering what initial ingredients do you put into the soil and how much of each? That way if I decide to go by this recipe, I know what the proper ratio of each amendment to put in??? Dont want to risk burning my plants with an unnecessary amount of something.

Back
Top Bottom