ORGANIC SOIL: real important Q's

FRIENDinDEED

hello all!!

in light of recent decisions i have made, i would like to ask you alls opinions and a question or two regarding my decision to go organic soil:

**i want to use all three of the fox farm soils as mentioned in the beginning of the thread, and i read somwhere (on IC) that the person cut thier OCEAN FOREST in half with an equal spheagmum peat moss and perilite mix (mixed the moss and perilite then used it in equal amount to OCEAN FOREST). is cutting the soil mix down have a negative/positive affect on its effectiveness?

**what i was thinking about doing was using all three soils, then add three parts/ amounts of the peat moss and then one part perilite ( i was thinking about adding the lime aswell but i dont know if i should in the beginning). does this sound ok? (i am going to use 10x2 gallon pots, will the mix above be able to fill them all?)

**i wanted to reuse the soil and each time add some PEACE OF MIND right before i reused, does that sound like a sound enough plan?

** is there ANYPLACE that i can order this stuff online cheaper than $20 a friggin' bag!?!? i mean i wanna go organic but goddamn!!! (hence my want to reuse)

***i already have what i am going to use seedling/veg, but the mixes above pertain to flowering* * * as usual all responses are appreciated, i really need to info since i am ready to grow!!! closets' up and ready!!! just wanna get this soil thing str8 and the organic prices are makin the MIRACLE GROW shit look mighty temptin' but dont really want to go that route!!

are you saying you want to mix 3 different soils togethor, and than add peatmoss, and perlite?

as far as reusing the soil again...i wouldn't advise that...by the time the cycle is over, i would figure the soil is pretty much used up of all the benificial goodies, plus id figure there is more room for bacteria and pests

I havent been able to find foxfarms any cheaper than 20 a bag

I see no reason to mix 3 different types of Fox Farms soil together. Each individual variety of Fox Farms soil is comprised of different things, but they are all ready to grow with right out of the bag. The person you are referencing probably added more peat moss and perlite for added drainage. Fox Farms soil already contains these things, you are just providing additional drainage by ammending it with more peat and perlite. This may be a good thing for flowering, but I do not see it as being necessary.

-Lime is used to stabilize pH. As the peat breaks down, the soils acidity rises. The strong base of the lime is designed to combat this a keep pH levels stable. Fow Farms soil should already contain this and therefore be pH stable without modification.

-I never reuse soil. Start with each plant in new soil to maintain a fresh supply of nutrients.

-Fox Farms makes high quality sterilized soil mixes, and the quality is reflected in the price.

There is no reason why you cannot continue to use the soil you currently have. Perhaps add some additional perlite if your soil does not drain well. This will allow for the roots to penetrate the soil more easily. Also, you could add a dry flowering fertilizer to your mix that is high in phosphorus to aid root growth and thus bud development.

Personally, I like Pro Mix brand Seed and Clone variety, available at any Agway store. It is comprised mostly of peat and contains the added lime necessary for stable pH.This avoids you having to worry about when and how much lime to add, which is excellent because overapplication can severly damage the plants.

I usually ammend a 16 quart bag with about 10-15% vermiculite, 20% perlite, 10-15% worm castings, and 1-4tbsp. of dry fertilizer depending on the type. I approve of Rainbow mixes "Grow" or "Bloom" dry ferts. (which also contain beneficial root fungus) and of course bat guano, using Mexican for a veg. mix and Jamaican for flowering.

WHEW! Looooong post. :laughtwo:

if you want a good fox farm mix... akorn says
1 bag FF Ocean Forest
1 bag FF Light Warrior
1/6 of the big bag of FoxFarm Chunky Perlite

just ocean on its own works pretty good too =)

TO ALL MY POT HEAD I HAVE QUESTION I HAVE A EXTRA ROOM I WANT TO TURN INTO A GROW CHAMBER ANY IDEA HOW TO START IT FIRST TIME GROWER THANK YOU :Rasta:

clean it, put up some flat white on the walls to reflect light, get some cfls, some soil, some water, some fans, and start going.

TO ALL MY POT HEAD I HAVE QUESTION I HAVE A EXTRA ROOM I WANT TO TURN INTO A GROW CHAMBER ANY IDEA HOW TO START IT FIRST TIME GROWER THANK YOU :Rasta:

You should start a new thread containing more details of what you have to work with.

ROORMAN-
-everytihng i have said is pretty much going on what i have read (school, online other folks) and the bags say that they have one thing , while the other bag says it has the other right? ie. OCEAN FOREST has most of the organic goodies, while LIGHT WARRIOR has more of some other stuff, that the plants need as well for nutrient uptake and cellular respiration, no? like AKORN said he/she adds LIGHT WARRIOR for the other bacterial benefits.***OH YEAH I TOOK YOUR ADVICE AFTER TALKING TO MY GROWING GURU FRIEND AND HE SAID HE USES PROMIX ASWELL, SO I WENT AND FOUND AN AGWAY, GOTA SAY PRETTY DECENT STORE, THANKS FOR THE INFO!!!

sorry it takes a while to respond, jsut bought a home, so the wife and i are doing home improvements, while i build my grow closet. trying to get all this stuff down pact before i get started.

-DOOBY22401-
HEY MAN, WHOLE FAMILY IS FROM STT, SO I HEAR YA, HANG OUT HERE AND READ READ READ, I KEEP T3ELLIN MY COUSINS IN STT TO FIND NICE PATCH A LAND BUT THEY AINT STUDYIN ME.

ANYWAY, JUSTT MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL THE BASICS DOWN, YOU ARE GONNA HAVE TO FOCUS ON AIR (INTAKE/ OUTTAKE AND ACROSS YOUR PLANTS LEAVES), WATER(NUTRIENTS, i am really beginning to think that organic is better than chemical) LIGHT (ONLY THING I SEE YOU HAVIN A PROBLEM WITH IS HEAT) ANYWAY GOOD LUCK, GOD SPEED

all i use is promixBX/wormcastings/coarse perilite/FFOF/molasses+wterings. . so i think you should be ok

good luck to you if you havent started allready!

you can reuse your soil after removing the top 4 inches...if you use bacteria/fungi DO NOT stir the rest, just fill up to the rim and put next plant in...

it's recommended to use ground life if you want to reuse soil, or at the very least add enzymes...

potplant compost is also excellent btw

Back
Top Bottom