Original Gorilla Glue #4 Autos, Batch 19-GG4

zeroday

Hi Everyone. Here are the basics of this batch:

My grow career: I've been growing since 2012, and have grown roughly 192 plants to date. I tend to grow batches of 4-6 plants, with 2-3 strains mixed in. All of the plants I have grown so far have been photoperiods. This is my first time growing autos, and I'll be growing the same strain for the first time to see if its easier to feed and train them.

For genetics, I've chosen the auto version of Gorilla Glue #4 from Original Sensible Seeds. I ordered them from DiscreetSeeds.co.uk and they arrived in 9 days (to the U.S.). I started the seeds using the paper towel in a Ziploc sandwich bag, and had 100% germination rate after about 40 hours in a room with a 70F temperature. I put the seeds in the same pot that they will be harvested in. All of them sprouted above soil on their own. To date, they look ok to me, except that one of the 6 is about an 1" to 1.5" shorter than the others. In terms of color and form, they look pretty good.

There are 6 plants in total, and they are currently 2 weeks into the Vegetative stage. I'm growing in soil, Fox Farms Happy Frog in Vivosun 5 gallon fabric pots.

As far as nutrients, I am trying out TechnaFlora's Recipe for Success nutrient system. During week 1, I used a spray bottle to water the soil around the seedling, using 6.5ph water, with no nutrients in it. On Day 7, I split 2 gallons of water (6.5ph) between all 6 plants, again with no nutrients mixed in. At Day 10, I split 4 gallons of water with nutrients added. I used 50% of Technaflora's recommended recipe.

I'm growing in a 5x5x7.5 Gorilla Grow Tent (the original line, not the lite line). This tent is in a 20'x24 foot room with another tent. The room that the tents are in have a portable AC unit and portable de-humidifier. I have a BrightKing 550V2 Quantum Board LED, a 4" Vivosun 203cfm exhaust, two Vivosun 6" pole mounted oscillating fans hanging up top, and a Penguin 24" tower fan oscillating at the bottom of the tent. I currently have the floor pan for my tent on order. The old one was ripped while in storage (a pitch forch went through it in the shed). I contacted Gorilla Grow Tents directly, they shipped me a replacement for $40 USD. Its a 5x5 and its the thicker model, so I didn't think that was unreasonable.

In order to control temperature, humidity and turn lights on and off, I'll be using Ubiquiti MFI power outlets, temperature sensors and humidity sensors. They don't make these any more, I have spares on hand. For someone who doesn't know allot about computers, they aren't the easiest to use at all. However, I like the data that the system collects over the entire grow, so I don't mind keeping it running.

I use tap water. I use a 20 gallon reservoir with air stones and a circulation pump aerating and moving the water. I fill it up at least 2 days before I need it.

I guess the only other thing I would mention about this particular grow is that I plan to LST all of them. I'll use the "around the pot" method, where you bend over the main stem and tie it to the side of the pot, and then continue to tie the main growth shoot to the side as it grows. I've never tried it this way before, it'll be a first for me.

I'll go post a couple of pics of the plants and the tent.

Thank you a ton for taking the time to view my journal!

And if I left anything out that anyone has questions about, please let me know!

IMG_3182.JPG
IMG_3155.JPG

IMG_3162.JPG
IMG_3164.JPG

IMG_3167.JPG

IMG_3170.JPG

IMG_3147 (2).JPG

You know, one of the aspects of gardening I enjoy the most is the myriad of different experiments you can try along the journey. In my case, I find that the gardening is almost, if not just as therapeutic as the medication those gardening efforts produce. Through the years, I've gone three consecutive grows doing the same thing. Towards the end of the third grow, I'd always seem to get bored, therefore losing that therapeutic effect tending to the plants provides me. It just so happens that I am at one of those junctions where I have done the same thing for the last few grows and achieved similar results.

Enter @carcass .

He mentioned Quadlining in my other grow journal, which led me to do some light reading over the past 24 hours. I had a work project that had me on a very boring conference call for 12 hours throughout the night. There were several periods of silence that I took advantage of. What perfect time to get some research in.

I read the thread that @carcass suggested (twice), and also googled it to see what else is out there. I wound up reading 4 articles, and watching (I can't remember how many) videos on YouTube. I now have a decent understanding of mainlining and quadlining. Not that I have tried it or have any kind of experience. All I am saying is, it makes absolute logical sense to me. So much so, that I just can't help but try it with this batch. So, thank you @carcass for providing me with a new opportunity. Very groovy of you!

As the sun came up, I found myself pondering the brilliance of the people who figured this wonderful technique out. As I looked around my "lab", I spotted a connecting dot amongst the spare parts I have littered about.

IMG_3233.JPG

Ok, I know what you might be thinking. What the hell does a six inch HydroFarm exhaust fan have to do with Quadlining? Here is a pic a few minutes later.

IMG_3236.JPG

I'm hoping these will suffice as my anchors. There are only eight in the picture. From what I read last night, I'm guessing I might need as many as 8 per plant. I ran dedicated 20 amp circuits to each of my tents, so I have plenty of scrap 12 gauge wire laying around. If the wires in the picture above work, I'll just make more of them. As expensive as electrical wiring is these days, I'll also keep my eye out for landscaping anchors or something similar when I find myself roaming the local home and gardening store.

What do you folks think? Will this 12 gauge electrical wire work as sufficient anchors as I attempt my first Quadline? Let me know what think. I appreciate it!

These Gorillas only have 3 nodes, with the main stem seemingly getting ready to form the fourth node. From what I have read, I need to wait until there are 4 full nodes, with a decent growth shoot growing towards the light. I should then clip nodes one and two, leaving nodes three and four in tact. I'll then top the growth shoot that is coming up above the fourth node. As for the cotyledons, I've read that some gardeners remove them and some leave them on. In the past, I have always clipped them off at almost the size they are now. I've never had any negative effects, so I'll go ahead and lop them off when I take nodes 1 and 2 off. Here is a picture of the plant today.

IMG_3240.JPG

Don't get me wrong. I'm not teaching here. What I am doing is crystal balling, trying to figure out how it should be done based on the wonderful information that I have read. In other words, an educated guess! If what I said above is wrong, please let me know. I'm just stating what I think I'm supposed to do, hoping the groovy community will stop me before I go too far over the edge of reason with the garden.

Other than getting ready for Quadlining, the Gorillas are thirsty. Its been five days since they had a nutrient feed. The pots feel like they are ready for water based on the lift method, as well as by running my fingers over the top few inches of soil. Currently, the top three or so inches are dry, and then the soil becomes increasingly moist beyond that. I'm struggling with humidity given it is spring where I am, with a tremendous amount of rain, far more than what is considered average where I live. I think this has been extending the usual 3 to 4 days that I usually need to water or feed my plants. However, I have let plants dry out to the point they look like death with death like results. I am going to go ahead and throw down some PH balanced water.

I'm going to go do the above tasks I mentioned. I'm not at all a close minded person. So if anyone has any guidance, please let me know. As long as its reasonable and logical, I'm up for just about any kind of experimentation and adjustments. My goal is to learn and have fun, which are just a few of the ingredients in that grow therapy hunger for.

Again, thank you @carcass for the great tip!

Be Groovy!

Sounds like you're set to do it right,I'm glad I could help-I saw your plants,and just thought
I should mention it to you-they seemed like the perfect candidates for the process.

My current quads actually weren't done exactly right,because I didn't see the quadline thread until about an hour after i topped them-all I had left were nodes 1&2,so I just went with what I had,and it worked out well,since I'm limited on vertical space,starting them out a little shorter
was actually a good thing.

Those anchors should work out fine-mine weren't long enough,and the plant kept pulling them out,so I went with a bamboo skewer/frogtape system-which looked a little hokey,but worked extremely well.

Not much going on with this batch. Right now, I'm just waiting for them to be tall enough to start #Quadsquad. I'm thinking next week will be a proper time for some of them. I read that I should start each plant when it is ready, instead of waiting for all of them to be ready at the same time. Hoping that is correct.

I have some much needed time off of work coming up over the U.S. 4th of July holiday. When I started this batch, I had just recieved an new Quantum Board LED. I slapped it into the tent just as the germinated auto seeds went into soil. Now that I have been using it for a bit, I'll post some pictures, and first impressions, if anyone cares.

Here are a few pics of what the gorillas look like tonight.
IMG_3350.JPG
IMG_3380.JPG
IMG_3424.JPG

IMG_3437.JPG

They all look uniformly great!-like sextuplets..

@The Dirty Please do friend. I'm hoping, the more eyes on this the better it will turn out.

Thx!

@The Dirty Please do friend. I'm hoping, the more eyes on this the better it will turn out.

Thx!
Mate with your experience you will smash it, just hit up one of the "Auto" gurus for tips n tricks.
Original Sensible has been a staple for me for years now and have no hesitation in using their genetics, never had an issue with them.
As for GG#4 I have just finished my third run in a row on Wednesday so time for a change but the strain is a breeze to grow and the smoke, well it is just fabulous and will most likely run it again soon.

Stay Frosty.

As SpongeBob and Patrick would say.... I'm Ready, I'm Ready!!! I'm going to try to start Quadlining tomorrow morning, about 30 minutes before the lights go off. Not sure why, just seems to be the right time :lot-o-toke:

#Quadsquad , please put in a good word with your god. The gorillas will appreciate it!

Everyone have a good Friday night! Stays safe!

looking good zeroday!
I have a gg plant on day 27 of flip. it already has an impressive amount of frost showing. I vegged mine for 30 days. my plant tripled in size in the first three weeks of 12/12. had to super crop the main cola to keep from growing into the light. didn't slow it down a bit. it started turning back into the light after about three hours.

anyways, i'd like to tag along and see how yours do.

:Namaste:

Ok, time for Chop Chop. Clippers are freshly cleaned with 90% iso alcohol. Its simple right? Just take off nodes 1 and 2, then top it above node 4. If anyone can screw it up, its me!

This plant seems ready go. As I finish each one, I'll take a look at each to see if theya re ready to be snipped. I read that I don't want to do them all at the same time if they all aren't ready. This first one looks good to me, so without further ado!

Before Pics:

After Pics

One down, five to go. Let me know if I totally screwed things up, but I think I it looks like the pics in the #Quadlining thread.

Looks perfect to me :welldone:

All done. Lets see how these Gorillas come back. Hoping the stress doesn't hold them back for long. As with many things in life, patience and time will tell.

Here is the tent after clipping all six of them (they all looked ready).

:morenutes:- FEST!!! All three grows are either needing water, or needing a feed. Not even complaining. Therapy!

Every time I think about complaining about the labor of it all, I remind myself that nature has its way. Flowing with it and learning it is the fun part, the therapy. In all things, not just cannabis!

Folks, please give me sum love if you are picking up what I am laying down!

Growing things is rewarding ....however some things are more rewarding than others...
like growing zucchinis...you can grow enough to eat them every day for a month-but who in the hell wants to? With cannabis,you can grow enough to smoke every day for a month,and...hell yeah !

Growing things is rewarding ....however some things are more rewarding than others...
like growing zucchinis...you can grow enough to eat them every day for a month-but who in the hell wants to? With cannabis,you can grow enough to smoke every day for a month,and...hell yeah !

I wish that one day, our energy will meet to share a toke or two together. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom