Original source seeds from the 70's: Yes I have some

Well
Did I stammer in my post here? ;)

No need to apologize for long posts. Sadly they say that the attention span of a typical young adult now is a whopping 8 seconds. So if it does not fit in a tweet, it gets passed over. Also it seems that the internet is where most people get information now. So I get all kinds of flack like in this and other threads here on 420 about freezing seeds, not really having these old landraces that I listed here, not really having lived in California in the 60s through the 2000s, not being a stoner from 1972 on, and all that shit. No one believes the shit that we did back then. Its all science fiction to millennials.

As for the OG Kush craze, I never understood that, or any of the indicas really. Give me some old school sativas like Kona Gold, Colombian Green and Gold, Oaxacan Mint, Cambo Red, Kerala Ganja, or skinny stick Thai. The sativas of old. Sativas bloom later as a rule, and are too large for indoor growing. Indoor growing is what ruined weed strains, IMO. They took the RKS out of skunkweed. They put indica in everything to get the size down and shorten the bloom times. They also wanted more THC in weed, so they amped up and bred for high THC. But in doing that they rendered out the other cannabinoids, terpenoids and character in weed. They also put in more couch lock, as it seems that was what the market wanted. And now they wonder why the noobs to weed cannot even take one hit and not get blown over. Like you have to smoke 80% shatter or you are a pussy. Fuck that noise. I would rather smoke 2 or 3 hit 8-12% THC weed with CBC, CBD, THCv, and nice terpenes like pinene, limonene and linalool. The only place to find high levels of THCv is in South Africa landraces it seems. Also the only strain that is high in CBC that I have grown is Maui Waui Cherry Bomb. Whatever the magic is in that strain, it has the right blend of it. I like pinene, as it is lung expanding and good for asthma. It was common in high levels in landrace Colombian and SW Mexican strains.
Well BigSur , your passion shines through in your choice of words and descriptives. Personally I see no reason to doubt your stated history.

Your statement about indoor growing is interesting. I don’t think indoor growing completely ruined strains. Undoubtedly, it altered strains and likely impacted many in a negative manner. However, as you pointed out, indicas made indoor cultivation possible. This is a great point. It’s a positive point for me because I’ve never had the opportunity to grow outside ever. Many city dwellers only have/had indoor cultivation as an option. So the indica crosses were a necessary evil so to speak. It greatly benefited me and my situation. Without the indica crosses I would’ve completely missed out on this life changing hobby. But I understand and respect your point of view BigSur.

I think preservation of pure Sativa landraces is super important. I want to see the uncontaminated Sativa protected. I think the contamination concerns continue to be shared. Those concerns have spread far enough for folks like you to realize action is required to preserve pure Sativas. I think the alarm has been sounding for long enough that the remaining purebreds can be preserved. Certainly a lot of damage occurred before the threat was properly identified, but I think the realizations were caught in time.

Your passion as a keeper of seeds is important. There are certainly more folks like us who knew the importance of preserving unique, quality breeds. I’m so appreciative of folks like you. Your instinct, foresight and passion of landraces is what’s going to be responsible for the perpetuation of something that which was almost lost. Your breeds must not be exploited by those who’s sole purpose is profit. You must find those special folks who understand to help create “preservation vaults” to ensure that these remaining special breeds escape extinction.
Upward and onward. Cool waters ahead.

In closing, terpenes are very important to me, very much so. Pinene, without a doubt, is my favorite. Pinene was the first terpene I was ever exposed to.
Back in the mid 80’s, the only weed I had exposure to was old, brown, seedy brick weed. No smell nor taste. That’s what I thought cannabis was. Then a friends brother, from Iowa, came for a visit. He had magical green weed. Super sticky and an overwhelming scent of pine. Overpowering potency. That weed exposed me to what cannabis could truly be. It opened my eyes and started my radar pinging for ways to obtain unique marijuana. Without that exposure to fine weed, I might’ve missed the Relevance Of The ad for the Seedbank catalogue that I found shortly thereafter .....which started my awesome journey.

Hello BigSur and welcome.

I saved some seeds from the last batch of mexican I will ever see here again most likely, and if you take a look at my grow journal its the tall one in the back. What else is there is "local strains". The area that I'm in is no stranger to weed, never has been either. A lot of the local strains around here originated from people growing saved seeds from mexican, jamacian, maui, etc so my tank of goods is mostly old strains in a sense, theres a "god bud" and a "pink kush" in there somewhere as well.....but except for the mexi which got started earlier the rest are mystery, I just know what I threw in to germ. I plan on using collodial silver to get feminized seeds and I'm thinking of breeding that mexi with everything else that does well. I feel that old strains are much more of a "weed" than they are a carefully bred plant, and have more charm to them.

I'd like to see some of your old seeds grown to harvest and see if we have similar phenotypes in the end.

Cheers

I have posted a lot of photos of my grows here in this thread. They vary from year to year, depending on what I am growing at the time. I have a large selection of seeds and strains to choose from. I do not do grow journals as such. I get a lot of requests to do them here, but I am not into them and they take time. I do not grow weed to show off. I grow weed to breed and to smoke. Also many of my photos have been "lifted" and used by others to peddle their strains. So now I have to do some over-lettering of some type or watermark to keep that from happening. Sadly the green rush is more like my first indoor grow: all the plants in my first indoor grow in an apartment got ripped off by some friend of a friend. That was in 1975. I had grown for 3 years outdoors prior to that.

Which brings up a point that Dude Stoneder brings up about indoor/outdoor growing. For whatever reason, I usually had large yards or land to grow weed on outdoors. Some of those grows were also ripped off. My first big outdoor grow was found by a foreman of the ranch that we planted them on in Carmel Valley. While we did not get busted for them, we lost 50 Guerrero plants that were just starting to bloom. But I had my seed collection wherever I lived, and that was usually on property with large yards or acreage in central Coastal California. I do indoor growing here only to root cuttings, over-winter clones, start seeds early, and finish late bloomers under HPS light in the fall. Everything else is outdoors or in greenhouses.

My harvest and curing process. Some people have asked me about this so I am posting it here again.

I do not cut and hang harvested plants upside down any more. Nothing gained by doing that IME, and it takes up space and is messy. And the precious trichomes fall off. If you do not believe that the trichomes fall off, try my method and feel the bottom of the cardboard drying trays after a week. You will feel a fine sand like material at the bottom of the trays. Those are trichomes! I cringe when they shake the gallon jars of tops at the weed shops here, which they almost always do. They are shaking off the trichomes that way. On purpose? Mechanical trim machines also do that. Not a good method IMO.

I just cut the colas to length right off the plants and trim the fan leaves to fit into a cardboard can box (2 inch high flats from the grocery store). I dry them in a cool room at the back of the house at 65-70 deg. F and about 50% humidity for about 2 weeks on average, until they feel dry to the touch. The stems will not be dry or snap when bent at this point. Then I trim the larger leaves off (I leave the sugar leaves on but you can cut those off at this point) and put them in open paper grocery bags and I leave the tops of the bags open for another few weeks at 60-65 deg F , and feel them every few days to test for a dry feel. When they feel completely dry I crimp the tops of the bags and leave them for another few weeks. I open the bags and test for damp feeling every few days. If they get more damp, I open the bags again for another week and then crimp them again. This is to absolutely dry out the stems, which will retain moisture. It will also cool cure the buds. They smell great and the back room fills with terpenes. Curing Maui Waui Cherry Bomb is a real treat. I go back to the curing room just for smell-o-vision. Inhale, exhale. Once cured and dry, I put them in zip lock plastic bags, and not sealed jars. Sealed jars always leads to rot for me. Plastic bagged weed lasts for years for me. Typically I leave them in the plastic bags for up to 2 years, and after a year I tumble dry sift them for golden trichome hashish, or I render them into hash oil using alcohol. I use the hash oil mostly for skin salves dissolved in coconut oil, bees wax and shea butter. I also tumble dry sift the sugar and trim leaves after they are dry.

I have posted a lot of photos of my grows here in this thread. They vary from year to year, depending on what I am growing at the time. I have a large selection of seeds and strains to choose from. I do not do grow journals as such. I get a lot of requests to do them here, but I am not into them and they take time. I do not grow weed to show off. I grow weed to breed and to smoke. Also many of my photos have been "lifted" and used by others to peddle their strains. So now I have to do some over-lettering of some type or watermark to keep that from happening. Sadly the green rush is more like my first indoor grow: all the plants in my first indoor grow in an apartment got ripped off by some friend of a friend. That was in 1975. I had grown for 3 years outdoors prior to that.

Which brings up a point that Dude Stoneder brings up about indoor/outdoor growing. For whatever reason, I usually had large yards or land to grow weed on outdoors. Some of those grows were also ripped off. My first big outdoor grow was found by a foreman of the ranch that we planted them on in Carmel Valley. While we did not get busted for them, we lost 50 Guerrero plants that were just starting to bloom. But I had my seed collection wherever I lived, and that was usually on property with large yards or acreage in central Coastal California. I do indoor growing here only to root cuttings, over-winter clones, start seeds early, and finish late bloomers under HPS light in the fall. Everything else is outdoors or in greenhouses.

I think grow journals are great for support, an easy way to track growth, see the technologies people are using and what works and what doesn't. I think in an online forum it also gives credit to what is said. I don't really feel that grow journals are showing off, I'm most likely going to find one if I wanted to see what some strain looked like start to finish under certain conditions. It proves it for me and is a valuable resource. That said I still waited 17 years to ever do an online grow journal even though I always used pictures to track growth.

My Dad has said this for years.

Don't you think that just as many trichomes fall off from drying in trays compared to hanging dry?

Yes, but you can scrape the trays with a business card and collect the golden dust and smoke it.

Have you ever done any refrigerated curing? I'm thinking a nice smooth tray on the bottom? :hmmmm:

I suppose you'd be wary of mold ...

Ah, but it wouldn't be hard to control with some desiccant ...

Sorry ... smokin' ... musing ... :bongrip: I want to try a cold cure sometime, anyway.

... And I have a recurring obsession with walk-in coolers. They just seem so ... right, in so many ways.

Yes, but you can scrape the trays with a business card and collect the golden dust and smoke it.

But the resin that gets stuck in the paper bag method trumps what gets stuck to a tray anyways. One package/container is a lot less loss of trichomes than a tray, then a paper bag, then plastic etc. Dont get me wrong, paper bag cure has a nice mellow taste to it but if we are going for logical cause and effect, its almost as bad as dispensaries shaking a jar.

Cheers

Have you ever done any refrigerated curing? I'm thinking a nice smooth tray on the bottom? :hmmmm:

I suppose you'd be wary of mold ...

Basically no for reasons of condensation. Which is the same reason I do not store seeds in the refrigerator. Same reason that I do not make water or ice hashish. And the same reason I do not store weed in sealed jars. Water and moisture is the enemy of Cannabis. Water rots Cannabis, and rather fast. Colas that are dripped on or have water condensed on them in the greenhouse will also rot fast.

But the resin that gets stuck in the paper bag method trumps what gets stuck to a tray anyways. One package/container is a lot less loss of trichomes than a tray, then a paper bag, then plastic etc. Dont get me wrong, paper bag cure has a nice mellow taste to it but if we are going for logical cause and effect, its almost as bad as dispensaries shaking a jar.

Cheers

So you are telling me that I am just as stupid as the bud tenders shaking jars at the weed shops, eh? I would counter with several reasons otherwise, like the resins are dry by the time they are put in the paper bags. But why bother. You would come up with something else to debate, eh? You seem to just want to nit-pick everything here.

So I am adding you to my ignore list, bub. I am also taking a sabbatical from this forum again. This place just seems to be a waste of time.

So you are telling me that I am just as stupid as the bud tenders shaking jars at the weed shops, eh? I would counter with several reasons otherwise, like the resins are dry by the time they are put in the paper bags. But why bother. You would come up with something else to debate, eh? You seem to just want to nit-pick everything here.

So I am adding you to my ignore list, bub. I am also taking a sabbatical from this forum again. This place just seems to be a waste of time.

I think you're overreacting... maybe just a little bit. If you say your opinion it doesn't mean that everybody has to agree with it, cause in the end it's just your opinion, man.

Well thats grand of you, but the paper bags I used to reuse for curing would eventually turn black from what stuck in the inside, after buds hanging in a warm building for a week first. It was the first way that I was tought to reliably cure. I wasn't arguing with you, someone had asked about trichomes that stick and you had replied that you scrape them off. They didn't freak on you.

This is a community and you feel that grow journals are about "showing off" and that they are time consuming. Taking a few pictures along the way takes seconds and lets everyone watch with you, or learn valuable things about setups strains and nutrients. That was your first catty remark fyi.

I may be old but at least I'm not ornery, stuck in my ways, or full of hot air. Take this last comment however you want, I was being friendly before. If you want to have a hissy fit because I know trichomes stick like glue to brown paper, that's your perogative.

To each their own.

Just my few cents about drying. I chop my indoor plants and I give them a quick cold shower. Then I just hang them dry for a week or so without taking any leaf unless it’s fully yellow, but these are rare... and I never noticed trichs falling off.

The only time I see them actually coming off is when I put them in a bowl and start trimming dry, but at this point they’re slightly agitated, so it’s not unusual. However it’s a tiny fraction. Then they come off in a jar sure, cause they’re dry and the curing starts... but it’s mostly hash plants that have this trait, which is actually desirable, cause these will make premium hash. Also it depends on the maturation of trichs, the more mature they are the easier they come off.

and my two cents worth. I cut, wash, trim fans and hang to dry. When "dry" to the touch - stems are usually still supple - I then take a sample branch, place in a qt jar with a hygrometer lid to check for moisture. If it's anywhere in the 55-65% range, I do a light trimming of sugar leaves that are easy to get to, cut off the buds and into jars they go. Once in jars I burb as follows: Day 1-3, 10 min 3x, day 4-6 10min x2, day 7-9 30 min 1x. I put Boveda 62% packs in the jars and check them weekly for a bit to make sure the RH is close to 62%. Bud that has been dried and cured this way is still very fresh and aromatic even after a year of storage.

In 13 grows I've only had one batch go bad. It was my fault as I knew they were too wet, but thought I could control it with frequent burping and the Bov. packs. Lost over 2 zips of some really nice Bubba Hash (Ace) buds. My bad.

One thing I like about using jars as opposed to bags (paper or plastic) is that even though a lot of trics break off and adhere to the glass, a quick wash with ISO and you've recaptured them. I collect the wash and use that for oil down the road.

Back
Top Bottom