Original source seeds from the 70's: Yes I have some

Have you ever done any refrigerated curing? I'm thinking a nice smooth tray on the bottom? :hmmmm:

I suppose you'd be wary of mold ...

Ah, but it wouldn't be hard to control with some desiccant ...

Sorry ... smokin' ... musing ... :bongrip: I want to try a cold cure sometime, anyway.

... And I have a recurring obsession with walk-in coolers. They just seem so ... right, in so many ways.
low and slow drying ...
extensive coverage on this lol

“Oh man that sucks. I wondered how you liked the bubba. I remember when you harvested it.”

It’s different. The buds are fat, dense and dark. They look great great. Not much aroma, but what is there is earthy and hashy. Not much taste. I vape and the BH almost burns the throat. I’ve not had any other strain do this in my vape. Most likely my stash will be made into oil. I think I have a few seeds left and will try again, however.

Looking up at some BigSur Durban
:morenutes:
3.jpg

Have you ever done any refrigerated curing? I'm thinking a nice smooth tray on the bottom? :hmmmm:

I suppose you'd be wary of mold ...

Ah, but it wouldn't be hard to control with some desiccant ...

Sorry ... smokin' ... musing ... :bongrip: I want to try a cold cure sometime, anyway.

... And I have a recurring obsession with walk-in coolers. They just seem so ... right, in so many ways.

No reefer in the refer curing here. I cure way more weed than I can fit into my ice box. But... curing hash in there is a different thing. I read in my book HASHISH! by R. Clarke that the Arabs cure and store hashish in a cool cellar for years after making hashish by sifting it through screens. So I am storing my current smoke supply of homemade hash in there now. Longer term, Ed Rosenthal says to freeze hashish and it will last forever that way. So I store my hashish with my seed collection long term in a chest freezer.

BTW: I sift most of my season old weed into hashish now. Last year's grow is now becoming golden fluffy hash powder. The sifted weed I process for hash oil using alcohol to get the last of the cannabinoids and oils from inside the leaves. I can condense several pounds of loose bud in a bunch of plastic zip lock bags stored in grocery bags that take up a lot of room into about a half pound of hash and oil that fits into a shoe box. Sifted hash retains the terpenes and original character of the weed. The oil is more potent and has a rougher quality to it, but man, that stuff will get you high in a hurry.

I need to do that. I have jars of flower over a year old now, and I'd like to preserve them better.

I can think of a lot of ways to gather the loose trichs, but I haven't decided what to do with the remainders. :hmmmm: Extracts seem like a pain in the ass, but I'll eventually want to tackle that.

BTW: I sift most of my season old weed into hashish now. Last year's grow is now becoming golden fluffy hash powder. The sifted weed I process for hash oil using alcohol to get the last of the cannabinoids and oils from inside the leaves. I can condense several pounds of loose bud in a bunch of plastic zip lock bags stored in grocery bags that take up a lot of room into about a half pound of hash and oil that fits into a shoe box. Sifted hash retains the terpenes and original character of the weed. The oil is more potent and has a rougher quality to it, but man, that stuff will get you high in a hurry.
What would you recommend to use fornsifting? Home made screen? Commercial?

I need to do that. I have jars of flower over a year old now, and I'd like to preserve them better.

I can think of a lot of ways to gather the loose trichs, but I haven't decided what to do with the remainders. :hmmmm: Extracts seem like a pain in the ass, but I'll eventually want to tackle that.

Tumble sifting the way I do it extracts 90% of the good stuff. I do alcohol extraction for the rest. Its messy, but I do not want to lose that leaf-locked THC. Then I burn the stems and remaining crushed leaf. I am required to dispose of it by law here. Compost, incinerate, or pay to have it disposed of.

What would you recommend to use for sifting? Home made screen? Commercial?

I modified an electric ice cream maker, some poly 'silk' screen wrapped around the cut out center canister, and a small chest freezer. I got the design idea from another weed forum. I tumble about an oz at a time in the freezer for 3-4 hours when the green sifted material just starts to come through. Cost me $5 for a used ice cream maker, $30 for a used freezer, and $6 for the poly screen at an art supply store in town. Makes damn fine hash. Freezing is the key during sifting. Also has to be cured dry weed. 9 month old popcorn size buds work best for me.

Lebanese blonde hash from my own backyard. I have arrived. Only a dream back in 1977. Well, so was legal weed then.

Oh, and I tip the ice cream maker on its side when running, tilted at 15 degree angle using some foam. And I add some little green army men inside the canister to tease out the trichs and bust up the tight centers of the buds.

Hey @BigSur ! Man I wish you were still around the Central Coast. Would be super cool to connect with someone with so much history and just be able to chill and hear about all the history around Big Sur, Monterey Peninsula, and Santa Cruz. I was born and raised in the Salinas Valley. Pretty much been in the general area all my life. I haven't had a chance to read up on your decision on what you decided to do with your heirloom seeds. Only got a couple pages in and have to go to a family party. I'm bookmarking this one and reading up to get caught up. That may take me a while though! You certainly caught the attention of many folks here and got there heart rate up!

It would be nice to live in Monterey Co. again, but it is WAY to spendy to live there now. And it has changed a lot and gotten way more crowded. I am still living in my house gains from selling my house in Campbell back in 2005. I have read about some stuff going on there with weed on the Monterey Peninsula and Big Sur, Carmel Valley, etc. About the next generation growing local strains there. But nothing they talked about rang any bells and they have been growing some long term strains in Big Sur that I have never heard of. The stuff I have pre-dates that by decades. I guess one issue in Big Sur and Carmel Valley is that Monterey Co. only allows commercial growing in the Salinas Valley in specific areas, and not on the coast. In Oregon its the opposite, you have to be out of residential and commercial zones to grow rec weed here. They prefer people grow out here in the boonies. Monterey Co also requires a grow permit even for home grows. In Oregon you do not need anything like that to grow personal weed anywhere in the state. I have a medical grow permit, and I can sell into the rec weed market with it, but that takes a lot of overhead and inventory equipment. I bailed out on getting the commercial grow license here and I am glad I did. The state has a glut of weed now and the price for rec weed has tanked. Now they have also stopped issuing new commercial rec licenses to try to curb the oversupply. Medical growing here has pretty much vaporized, but there are still a few of us left.

AHHHH well it was just a dream. Apparently my fence can't stop a herd of cattle intent on bedding on my garden. It sucks donkey dicks to lose a year's work in one moment. Everything flattened. o_O

Holy sh*t. That sucks man. That really sucks. I live in fear of my neighbor's cows getting into my yard. They are huge cows. They trample everything in 10 seconds. Another neighbor has sheep that get out all the time. They would eat all the bamboo and the Cannabis on my property if they get out and in here.

I gave you a like for the post, but I do not like that they flattened your beautiful plants. Sadly this has happened in other places by other creatures. Mad Scientist was growing my Lebanese and some type of ants in Costa Rica got to them and mowed them down. I had to shoot a rabbit here this year that was snapping off lower branches of Cannabis and eating them.

I liked growing in the open top shed in California. It worked well to hide the plants from thieves and the cops. I only had that option for one year though.

The greenhouses are getting condensation in them already this year in Oregon. I have already had to carve out some rot in some colas. The weather here this month has been complete shit, more typical of late October. Rain rain and more rain. Cold and wet. It has rained on and off all summer as well and been on average 10 degrees cooler than average. So this year's grows are not large, and I am struggling to get these late strains seeded up. I may have to revert to salvaging what I can under lights indoors. Outdoor grows in Oregon are going to be a giant bust this year. The state wants to curb production with the oversupply of weed on the market, and it looks like mother nature is doing it for them. This is a year to be an indoor only grower here.

Here is one of the Punto Rojo Colombians in early bloom. I forced them last month with light dep. I would have forced them even earlier if I knew the weather was going to go to shyte this early this summer. I am pollinating them now, earlier than I wanted to.

Punto Rojo early bloom.JPG

Back
Top Bottom