Osmocote Plus Plant Food: Discuss Its Use With Cannabis Here!

In hempy pots, I've been distributing the mix evenly thru the medium at a starting rate of 60 grams in my 3.5g pots.
One can supplement with liquid nutes if necessary.
Keep in mind that the Osmo+ is temp sensitive. Higher release rate at higher temps. They mention it on their website here.
Your bargain bin organic soil sounds like a MG wannabe. I'd steer clear of it if possible.

In hempy pots, I've been distributing the mix evenly thru the medium at a starting rate of 60 grams in my 3.5g pots.

Based solely on volume, that'd work out to about nine grams of OC+ per two-liter bottle. And that's IF my math is correct - which, since I gave up on trying to fall asleep and, therefore, have now been awake for about 29 hours, is not guaranteed.

One can supplement with liquid nutes if necessary.

True. The two main (and guaranteed to appear ;) ) strains might not be "big eaters," though. Neither is predominately indica - one is about half and half, the other is only about 10% indica.

Keep in mind that the Osmo+ is temp sensitive. Higher release rate at higher temps.

Yes, I had assumed as much; that's why I mentioned that temperatures are likely to be in the mid-90s or thereabouts for the first two(???IDK???) weeks or so.

They mention it on their website here.

I do see the small section that lists "Longevity at the following average media (soil) temperatures," which shows 6-7 months @ 60°F, and down from there to only 3-4 months @ 90°F. Interesting that they do not mention that this seems to equate with roughly twice the amount of nutrients getting released @ 90°F compared to 60°F. I'd think it'd be "somewhat" important to make that explicitly clear to people, lol.

Your bargain bin organic soil sounds like a MG wannabe.

<ARGH!!!> I never even thought about it like that <SLAPS FOREHEAD> I could have bought two more one-pound bottles of OC+ :rolleyes3 . Well... It looks to be of much higher quality than the mud I could dig up out of my yard (and I'm going to guess that it has less bugs in it, too). TBH, I was just happy that it wasn't wet. I hate trying to carry bags of soil that are full of water. I guess I'd better go take a good look at the bag to see what it says. If it states, "Compares to MiracleGro" like some generic OtC medicines have on their boxes... IDK. I own the stuff now. And I sure couldn't have purchased a bag of Fox Farm's soil for the price.

Ironically (considering the nature of this thread), I just remembered that I have some kind of Osmocote soil, too. It's two or three years old, though. I was moving some stuff around looking for my jack stands in the shed and discovered it. It might be supporting life right now, IDK. If not... Hmm...

I guess I could grow the Barney Fife I mean Barney's Farm strain(s) in it if they germinate, if nothing else.

The bag states it's a "natural organic" all-purpose garden soil. "With worm-castings for improved soil structure." "Feeds up to three months" "for all herb & vegetable gardens."

It turns out that the ingredients vary by location, and it lists three different sets. One is highly unlikely (too far). The other two seem to be equally likely - IDK which applies, lol. So...

INGREDIENTS: This garden soil is regionally formulated from materials derived from one or more of the following: Canadian spagnum peat moss, processed pine bark, processed forest products and/or composted rice hulls, reed-sedge peat, ground dolomitic limestone (pH adjuster), organic fertilizer, and worm castings.

Product may vary slightly from region to region.

And one of these applies:

"...this product contains: processed pine bark, Canadian spagnum peat moss, reed-sedge peat, processed forest products, limestone (pH adjuster), organic fertilizer, and worm castings."

OR

"...this product contains: 65-75% processed pine bark, Canadian spagnum peat moss, processed forest products, limestone (pH adjuster), organic fertilizer, and worm castings."

So, no, not world-class soil. Directions are to pour a 2"-3" layer on top of the soil and mix it in.

.04 - .06 - .04 (nitrogen: .004% ammonical nitrogen, .004% water soluble nitrogen, .032% water insoluble nitrogen)
Derived from: poultry litter, feather meal, and worm castings.

I guess it needs more than a little Osmocote Plus and 25%-33% perlite to cheer it up, huh? Doggone it. Well, it looks to be better than those bags of "top soil" that are barely adequate for filling in holes in your yard - and it was only a little more expensive.

I suppose I could try growing mother plants in it. If they start looking unhealthy, I can take cuttings and root them in little cups of perlite, then discard the mothers, spread the soil out in my yard (which has roughly the contour of a plowed, furrowed field)... and mourn the waste of money and effort.

If I was a soil guy, I'd mix in some blood and bone meal, some mushroom compost, some kelp meal, a whole lot more earthworm castings, and probably other things. But that's really not my comfort zone, TBH. My soil grows indoors have been of the "get a halfway decent soil that is known in the cannabis world, lighten it a good bit with perlite, and start pouring liquid nutrients into it as soon as the plant looks like it can use it," lol. Outdoors... It has been so long, I'd probably screw that up :rolleyes3 . Digging a huge hole and pouring sludge (err... don't ask) into the bottom of it, then mixing a small amount of that with a few other things into the removed soil as it gets put back in the hole, along with much perlite was a quick & dirty method that seemed to produce plants as large as I'd ever want to grow again under the sun and helicopters.

(Several bags of) this would probably have made a great addition to the fruit/vegetable area at Mom's house. But that's not helpful right now. I cannot grow cannabis there, for one thing. And she can't even really water her garden these days - I've been walking across town to do that, for the most part.

I have some (less than a third of a bag, at this point, I think, and probably closer to 1/4) Fox Farm's Happy Frog that I was wanting to use mainly for the two to four plants at their earlier stages, because I know it's reasonably inoffensive to them. I think I have some Fox Farm's Ocean Forest - maybe even half to 2/3 of a bag left. If I can find it... It might be in the shed. Or in the basement in a cobwebby corner. There's like one light down there, and no electrical outlets, so there could be a family of immigrints living down there and I'd never notice unless they started putting food in my refrigerator late at night. Or in a tote; there are totes and boxes here and there, because this is a pretty small house and I've really got more stuff than I have room for - and that doesn't even count all the stuff that Mom has asked me to store "for a little while" every time someone in the family goes for the long dirt nap and she gets stuck dealing with the mess. I lost one of my cats for like four days once, lol (and that was different than the time he managed to get into the attic and ended up finding out how to get all the way down in the first-floor wall (thought I was going to have to tear a wall out). No, he just wandered into one of the "storage rooms."

Anyway, I've got a small amount of Happy Frog, and more Ocean Forest (but not a full bag - think I filled a five-gallon bucket and a couple of two-gallon ones, along with two or three two-liter bottles, which were all suitably cut with perlite). And I have the organic (IDK about when it was packaged, but I did some web-searching trying to find more information on it and saw that it was a registered OMRI product as of March, 2016 I think). I also have... <RUNS OUT TO SHED> a full one cubic foot bag of Osmocote Potting Soil and <COUGH> a full one cubic foot bag of MiracleGro Organic Choice (<SHRUGS> someone gave it to me). Both of those are a couple years old, but have been kept from any flooding because they're laying on a big bag of diazinon granules (banned for residential use since 2004, LMAO). I vaguely remember that stuff was a replacement for a replacement for something that was pretty good at killing creepy crawlies. Now IT has been replaced. IDK why they bother, FFS. IIRC, DDT was banned in 1972 and I think one can still detect traces of it in just about every man, woman, and child in the country 44 years later. But maybe bugs have kept away from those two bags of soil, IDK.

I could just pour every one of the soils together, mix them up, and... no.

BtW, I did manage to find a web page on the latest waste of what little money I was able to spend on gardening:
Jolly Gardener Products, Inc.
As you can see, there is a wealth of information there [/SARCASM] .

Good Lord TS... you're the wordy strain in the 420Mag garden.

I had a chance to see DDT work once. It was the most incredible thing I ever witnessed. It took huge hedges down almost overnight just by dipping leaves in it. Scared me. I can certainly see how it's just slightly too deadly for use in our world. One wonders if the trace amounts are hugely elevated in Vietnam.... we sure dumped alot of in around their neighborhood.

Wait... I suppose this thread is about Osmo.... damn.
So... Dynamite plant food is another option. Similar in form and function to the Osmo, but I don't believe it suffers from the same temperature issue. I've been meaning to try it.

Good Lord TS... you're the wordy strain in the 420Mag garden.

I was given my own section at a little private forum I used to haunt. Never figured out whether that was a good thing or a bad thing, lol. But, yes, I need to write "Stick to the topic - and be BRIEF!" onto a piece of paper, and tape it to my computer. My apologies to one and all. Feel free to give me a virtual <SLAP!> if/when you see my rambling get out of hand.

I had a chance to see DDT work once. It was the most incredible thing I ever witnessed. It took huge hedges down almost overnight just by dipping leaves in it. Scared me. I can certainly see how it's just slightly too deadly for use in our world. One wonders if the trace amounts are hugely elevated in Vietnam.... we sure dumped alot of in around their neighborhood.

I didn't know it had herbicidal uses in addition to its insecticidal one. I remember seeing old newsreel video when I was a kid of people getting "fogged" with the stuff to kill... parasites? malaria? Something, I don't remember specifically, it was almost 40 years ago that I saw the video.

And I've read reports of Agent Orange (and, reportedly, other defoliating/herbicidal substances and possibly even... less savory things) being used in Vietnam and the effects of same - and some family members had the... opportunity to experience it firsthand, both the exposure and the long-term effects. They're all dead, now. Ironically, the uncle that lived the longest had his time over there curtailed by a grenade, and (mostly) returned home sooner than he would have otherwise.

Agent Orange... manufactured by Monsanto and Dow Chemical. There are a couple of subjects that I have to stop myself from RANTing about whenever I think of them. The latter, along with a "little" company called Dupont poisoned the environment for many decades in various locations around the world (including in this country).

Wait... I suppose this thread is about Osmo...

Yes. It actually fell (barely) below 70°F just before dawn locally. Mayhap I won't need to think about how quickly those little Osmocote (Plus) granules dump their chemically goodness under near 100°F temperatures.

Dynamite plant food is another option. Similar in form and function to the Osmo, but I don't believe it suffers from the same temperature issue. I've been meaning to try it.

IIRC, it received some discussion a few years ago, possibly in this very thread.

If my pH meter was usable, I'd do some runoff tests on the soils that I have, and decide whether or not it would be beneficial to mix some of them. Right now, though, I've got to rely on wild-@ss guessing. Might end up using the last of my Happy Frog for small mothers, then cut/root clones and plant them in each. From my searching, I found a couple people asking about the potential use of Just Natural Garden Soil for growing cannabis, and I got the impression that no one had. Someone used Osmocote soil and was having some issues, but I couldn't really tell if that was because of - or, at least, solely because of - their choice of medium. And a few seemed to have used Miracle Gro Organic Choice - some with issues, some without; but the ones that had more luck used it as a base and added amendments.

I do have two or three sets of liquid nutrients I can use (whatever I grow in). But I've kind of been wanting to try OC+, and when I saw it on sale for a dollar, I decided to buy a bottle.

Ya know... I always confuse those two... agent orange and DDT. Partially because the chems in agent orange include a few "D"s. Partially because I've been burning for so many years. Sorry.... I was thinking of Agent Orange.... an incredibly effective defoliant.

I've been kicking the tires on Osmo for a while now. Trying to get it to work in my gumbo pot. I'll get there.... I'm a patient grower and the lazy factor of growing in an Osmo or Dynamite hempy pot is really appealing.

I would like to display my OC+ grow with you all. Comments and questions appreciated.

All plants are bag seeds. This is my first grow. In a 5x5 tent with 300watt led and 4 40watt 2700k cfls. Topdressed with OC+ and given Superthrive. 11/13 light schedule.
First two pictures are of the mother of the clone just below it.
1474843354806653616433.jpg

1474843679649-1455362158.jpg

Next is the clone of the above mother.
14748443467431024050727.jpg
1474844701172-2107502426.jpg

My best plant so far.
1474843876525687696322.jpg
14748439913581578090996.jpg

...and it's clones.
14748447973061814308445.jpg
14748448674591458891897.jpg

Last but not least, my Ugly Duckling. No it's not a duck's feet plant.
1474844157352-1188514766.jpg
1474844248232-857013095.jpg

I would like to display my OC+ grow with you all. Comments and questions appreciated.

All plants are bag seeds. This is my first grow. In a 5x5 tent with 300watt led and 4 40watt 2700k cfls. Topdressed with OC+ and given Superthrive. 11/13 light schedule.
First two pictures are of the mother of the clone just below it.
1474843354806653616433.jpg

1474843679649-1455362158.jpg

Next is the clone of the above mother.
14748443467431024050727.jpg
1474844701172-2107502426.jpg

My best plant so far.
1474843876525687696322.jpg
14748439913581578090996.jpg

...and it's clones.
14748447973061814308445.jpg
14748448674591458891897.jpg

Last but not least, my Ugly Duckling. No it's not a duck's feet plant.
1474844157352-1188514766.jpg
1474844248232-857013095.jpg
Thank u
What kind of dirt?
What were the average daily temps?
How often and how much OC+ did u top dress?
Why the extra fertilizer?

I am thinking of using OC+ for this grow.

So much to learn....so many journals to follow

Lilred,
The soil was labeled as organic called ecoscraps with no ammendments in a green bag. It was what I could afford at the time. I topdressed once with double the listed amount based on reading journals that used oc+. I use superthrive in the hopes it would help out. May not be needed. Certainly didn't hurt anything. My temps are between 72 and 77 night and day. When I water my plants in 4 gallon pots, I run one gallon of tap water through the soil then I slowly pour a half gallon of water with about 15 prills in it after it sits about ten or fifteen minutes so the nutrients have released some into the water. If you can mix the oc+ in the soil, do that over a top dress. I learned after my plants were in their final pots about oc+ to mix it in so I topdressed. I fully recommend using oc+ as the primary food. Cheap, works great as you can see, no mixing of nutes and, no phing required when using soil. I would get a better soil like promix or something.

Hey Tej

I still use them both when I do gorilla plants that get rain water only.

I switched to organics and then to High Brix mostly following Doc Bud's journals and methods since I joined 420mag.

I used the OC+ along with the Dyn Red in some early grows with great success in some good potting soils.

I have also used Dr Earth's slow release pellets which are organic and worked good.

I have an outdoor experiment going with some peppers this year.
in one bucket I have Promix potting soil with OC+
and one with the Dr Earth
another bucket has some local "garden center recommended" Natural Garden soil.
and another with Kellogg potting soil from the depot

time will tell

@Hash Hound
Thanks for the update!!!
Funny
The 2 choices for soil i have are:
Kellogg's organic potting soil
Or
Dr. Earth gold organic potting soil
(Both from home d pot)
Leaning toward Dr earth just cuz it has in it what I would have in it if I mixed my own.
I'm gonna look up "Brix" but really need a easy soil grow for my non optimal grow environment.
Man I wish I could go outdoor grows.
Thanks for all your past informative posts.
Pax

I have used that Dr Earth soil. It grew a good plant, but had gnats. So what else is new right?

I used the Kellogg for raised beds in my garden last year and mixed a bit of it in with my last few soil mixes.

Now I'm trying the Kellogg potting soil, like you said, it has a lot of what I would add anyway.
Very barky though.

Is the general dosage recommendation valid for smallish auto-flowering plants grown in two- or three-gallon buckets?

Head is hurting and I don't feel like skimming through 1276 posts, lol.

Is the general dosage recommendation valid for smallish auto-flowering plants grown in two- or three-gallon buckets?

Head is hurting and I don't feel like skimming through 1276 posts, lol.

Absolutely. It's pretty forgiving. I ran three autos in it and they were healthy and green all the way. The only thing to know is that the prills dissolve faster in heat. And heat usually requires more water which dissolves them faster, so it can be too much. Keep 'em coolish. Other than that, it's a breeze - nuttin but water all the way. :slide:

Most of the people I hear about are running it in small pots, often in inert stuff like perlite.

Absolutely. It's pretty forgiving. I ran three autos in it and they were healthy and green all the way.

Great, if I can get one of those little b@stards to sprout, I'll throw it into a pot with some soil, perlite, and OC+. Or maybe perlite with just enough coco coir to say I threw some in.

The only thing to know is that the prills dissolve faster in heat. And heat usually requires more water which dissolves them faster, so it can be too much. Keep 'em coolish.

Uh, yeah, about that... I'm kind of shooting for 85°F to 87°F, lol. Is that likely to release OC+ too fast for "an average runty auto-flowering plant?" And while I'm thinking about it, light-feeding 70%-85% sativa types? I'm not big on watering to overflow right now - IDK where that is a good thing or a bad thing in this particular context.

I assume for tomatoes, peppers, and the like growing in the ground one can just mix a handful into the soil that one is using to backfill the holes? Not relevant here, but I didn't want to waste a thread over in the O/T gardening sub-forum just for that part :rolleyes3

I'm mainly just wanting to use the stuff so I can justify the dollar I spent for the bottle, lol.

Great, if I can get one of those little b@stards to sprout, I'll throw it into a pot with some soil, perlite, and OC+. Or maybe perlite with just enough coco coir to say I threw some in.

Uh, yeah, about that... I'm kind of shooting for 85°F to 87°F, lol. Is that likely to release OC+ too fast for "an average runty auto-flowering plant?" And while I'm thinking about it, light-feeding 70%-85% sativa types? I'm not big on watering to overflow right now - IDK where that is a good thing or a bad thing in this particular context.

I assume for tomatoes, peppers, and the like growing in the ground one can just mix a handful into the soil that one is using to backfill the holes? Not relevant here, but I didn't want to waste a thread over in the O/T gardening sub-forum just for that part :rolleyes3

I'm mainly just wanting to use the stuff so I can justify the dollar I spent for the bottle, lol.

Got a garden full of 2L hempy pots with perlite and OC+.
Dose rate for 2L neutral medium should be somewhere around 5.5 - 6.5 grams of OC+ in a garden running in the 80's and 90's.
When you ramp this up to larger buckets, you need to lower the overall grams/liter formula and lighten the load, somewhere between 60%-75%... but I don't have the math for that figured out at all yet.

Back
Top Bottom