Osmocote Plus Plant Food: Discuss Its Use With Cannabis Here!

I should get a t-shirt that states "Not stupid, just burnt and brain-damaged."

...which, reading what I typed, puts me in mind of those "this is your brain on fresh toast" anti-fun commercials that became popular in the Nancy Era in the US.

Always used to make me hungry. And itch for a good buzz (no one should have had to suffer such things sober).

Ya know.... I hate to diverge from DB, but I'd like to think he'd toss his hat in with my words. I have absolutely burned plants with Osmo.

Unless I'm mistaken, I think Susan might have overfed one on it, too. Probably the same cause (someone stated it wasn't possible ;) ).

All our worlds are different

Honest word. Rate of release is variable, depending on local conditions.

Then, too, the fact that cannabis plants that receive more oxygen at the rootzone are more efficient feeders, means that one person's plants might not even use as many nutrients as the next person's, even if the same amount are fed to both sets.

3.3g/L in 6L perlite only hempy pots is my exact magic zone... trust me..... I've way exercised both ends of the scale.

Speaking of Susan, lol, she'll have a head-start out of the gate, with you available and willing to help with the differences caused by those different environmental conditions.

Has it been 9 years? Geez.

It has, for all three of us.

Gardening basically non-existent for the ~TS~ family this year, but Mom did put a couple tomato plants in buckets. They're fruiting now. Is it too late to get any benefit from scratching some Osmocote Plus into the soil? If they were pepper plants, I wouldn't even bother asking (I've seen those drop pretty much all their blooms after receiving fairly mild shots of nitrogen while in flower). But, tomatoes, IDK. Should I just mix something up from my collection of liquid nutrients, adjust the pH to something between 6.00 and 6.80, and give her that?

Mandatory on-topic content, lol: I have a little bottle of O+ here and a sack (couple pounds? It's not huge) of the stuff in Mom's basement, so I might as well use it. Will be doing about a dozen assorted autos, "small green" pots. Not looking for branching trees. Would prefer to have them just about run out of the O+ before flowering begins in earnest. Is this goal easily attainable, with plants that have such a short vegetative period, grown in two-liter bottles? Or should I plan for there to still be lots of it in the flowering period?

Pretty sure @Doc Bud used soil.

It was a day or two ago.... you might not have been around.... we were trying many different hempy versions. Ole Doc was not the same grower you see selling his wares at the time. These days, I can certainly see how one would suspect DB always grew in dirt.

I think Susan might have overfed one on it

When you're trying out different feeding levels to find the sweet spot, accidents happen.

differences caused by those different environmental conditions.

Oh she's in for some serious environmental changes!

Mandatory on-topic content, lol:

Noted.

Or should I plan for there to still be lots of it in the flowering period?

I've never worn out the nutes on one grow. I suspect the mix is good for 2 or 3 actually.... too lazy to test it.

How bizarre this thread is picking up right at this moment... I just started pondering about hempy buckets and fell down a rabbit hole. I made it to page 7 before I decided to see what was new.

Maybe kismet here. I should probably keep reading, but just curious, what's the story with pH'ing this stuff? Does it have to be kept in a specific range with your input water?

So, I found this thread again... Hmmm.. I grow in 20oz and 40oz Hempys. Seems like a little bit of this stuff would grow me a heckuva plant.

I worry about flushing though, it's kind of my thing and my plants generally only have a 12-15 week lifespan. Might have to buy a little, do some math, and start a test run. I love easy.

So, I found this thread again... Hmmm.. I grow in 20oz and 40oz Hempys. Seems like a little bit of this stuff would grow me a heckuva plant.

I worry about flushing though, it's kind of my thing and my plants generally only have a 12-15 week lifespan. Might have to buy a little, do some math, and start a test run. I love easy.

Ya know... you point to an interesting aspect of smaller hempy pots that I never fully realized.
Such an easy testbed!

Doing a little math (not perfect) based on your 3.3 grams/liter of media, it looks like I would use about 1.9grams for a 20oz. The tricky part is my short life cycle. How long do you veg for, @Tead ? My sativas (my favorites to grow so far) show sex and start flowering 3-4 weeks on 12/12 from seed.

Doing a little math (not perfect) based on your 3.3 grams/liter of media, it looks like I would use about 1.9grams for a 20oz. The tricky part is my short life cycle. How long do you veg for, @Tead ? My sativas (my favorites to grow so far) show sex and start flowering 3-4 weeks on 12/12 from seed.

20oz... 1.9g.... crazy!
I appreciate drawing outside the lines.... but even I have not ventured down those paths in Osmo! Seen such things using traditional nutes tho... so you go!

I don't tie the calendar to any of my plants in any way. I do track the number on their labels, but rarely note it at the end of the grow. Such a slacker. It's much more of just a natural move... the go when the time is right and the space is available or needed.
I might guess that you'll see a touch longer grow. In smaller formats, I like to try to encourage them to spread out rather than grow up higher... mostly just for quantity reasons.

20oz... 1.9g.... crazy!
I appreciate drawing outside the lines.... but even I have not ventured down those paths in Osmo! Seen such things using traditional nutes tho... so you go!

I don't tie the calendar to any of my plants in any way. I do track the number on their labels, but rarely note it at the end of the grow. Such a slacker. It's much more of just a natural move... the go when the time is right and the space is available or needed.
I might guess that you'll see a touch longer grow. In smaller formats, I like to try to encourage them to spread out rather than grow up higher... mostly just for quantity reasons.

I count the days from sprout now. Harvest based on general ripeness sometime after 10weeks. My sativas don't ripen til flush, that is why i think the minimum amount of osmo would work okay for my applications.

Dude, you should see my 9cm pot passive hydro grow. They are only a few weeks old now. I do do some dumb stuff that oddly works out. Here is an older pic.
That reveg in the front is dead now. I think the containers hold about 1½ cups of media, if that...

P.S. these are for my micro breeding experiment.

Well, I've used this product in both soil and pure perlite hempy buckets. The results were fantastic in both mediums, but it is my opinion that it works better in soil, based on taste and smell.

As far as yield goes, the hempy buckets had significantly greater yield.

HOwever, these results may simply be the result of the differences between growing in soil vs perlite.

The bottom line on OC+ is that for me, plants grown with OC+ were larger and more healthy than plants grown with Advanced NUtrients Connuiseur products and additives.

OF course, the price difference can't really be compared, with OC+ being able to grow over a hundred plants to maturity for less than 20 bucks!

The nitrogen in OC+ is higher than our current traditions about growing dictate, but I question the wisdom of low nitrogen. Keeping the plants green does not decrease yield in any way.....healthy leaves=bigger buds.

Over feeding nitrogen is a bad thing, but this product will not burn your plants or overfeed them in any way, so the objections some raise about nitrogen are unfounded, IMO.

Everyone that has tried it seems to like it.

As far as I know, I'm the first person on the web to journal its use in growing.....I ran my ideas by legendary grower Uncle Ben, who said, "Looks great to me!" Those who know Uncle Ben realize that he says what he means and means what he says.
Well, I've used this product in both soil and pure perlite hempy buckets. The results were fantastic in both mediums, but it is my opinion that it works better in soil, based on taste and smell.

As far as yield goes, the hempy buckets had significantly greater yield.

HOwever, these results may simply be the result of the differences between growing in soil vs perlite.

The bottom line on OC+ is that for me, plants grown with OC+ were larger and more healthy than plants grown with Advanced NUtrients Connuiseur products and additives.

OF course, the price difference can't really be compared, with OC+ being able to grow over a hundred plants to maturity for less than 20 bucks!

The nitrogen in OC+ is higher than our current traditions about growing dictate, but I question the wisdom of low nitrogen. Keeping the plants green does not decrease yield in any way.....healthy leaves=bigger buds.

Over feeding nitrogen is a bad thing, but this product will not burn your plants or overfeed them in any way, so the objections some raise about nitrogen are unfounded, IMO.

Everyone that has tried it seems to like it.

As far as I know, I'm the first person on the web to journal its use in growing.....I ran my ideas by legendary grower Uncle Ben, who said, "Looks great to me!" Those who know Uncle Ben realize that he says what he means and means what he says.

I need to reread the last four years' worth of posts (starting at #1,224), but... I've just transplanted a tiny Northern Lights Auto (IDK which breeder) from an 18-ounce Solo cup into a three-gallon grow bag.

Bottom... IDFK, 40% or so is: 25% perlite / 37.5% Fox Farm Ocean Forest / 37.5% Fox Farm Happy Frog.
Next 40% or so is: 25% perlite / 25% FFOF / 50% FFHF, with half a capful of Osmocote Plus mixed in.
Top 20% or so is: 25% perlite / 75% FFHF, with half a capful of Osmocote Plus mixed in.

It's the one-pound bottle, and the directions on the back state to use one capful per two gallons of soil. It also states that's three tablespoons, so I guess the "half a capful" above equals (roughly) 1½-tbsp. Er... And it states that I was supposed to mix the full amount into the top one to three inches of soil. <SIGH> Which makes sense, now that I think about it, because as the water causes the stuff to be released, it - along with gravity - will also cause it to travel downward through the soil. Whoops.

I forget exactly when I purchased the bottle. I'll check to see if there's any kind of date on it... Huh. There's a little red plastic measuring gizmo in the bottle. I wonder if it was in there the entire time, or if I dropped it in there at some point? <SHRUGS> Sure can't seem to encourage it to end up on top of the prills no matter how much - and which way - I shake the @%^*ing bottle, lol. Where'd I put those straight hemostats... Got it! Hemostats - not just for sewing wounds and holding joints, heh. Anyway, the only date I could find was a copyright date of 2013. I think I might have bought it in late Autumn of 2016, but might be off a year one way or the other.

It's the-- Well, what do you know, the Cubs finally won a <BLEEPING> game. I guess they got all rested up by losing every one of the previous nine games. Well, they'll be resting in October, too. I guess they're right on track to win another World Series in... 105 years :rolleyes: . Sorry, happened to glance at the final score. Where was I? B!tching about the Cu-- no, wait... Yeah:

It's the 15-9-12 "Outdoor & Indoor" version with (as far as I can see) NO calcium in it. 8.4% ammoniacal nitrogen, 6.6% nitrate nitrogen, 9% available phosphate, 12% soluble potash, 1.3% magnesium (.9% water soluble magnesium - that's how they stated it, which has me wondering WtF the potash is supposed to be soluble in, since they didn't include "water" in its line, lol), and some other sh!t... It's too hard to read this crap and post it. I can't find the magnifying glass that I need to read anything that I cannot "zoom," so I have to make a "pinhole" magnifier by holding my thumbs and index fingers together and peering at the text through the tiny hole between them. whilst holding a flashlight with my knees. And then entering the text into a message. Rinse/lather/repeat/scream. But I didn't see any mention of calcium, soluble, insoluble, or sugar-free. Which is good, because my tap water has more Ca in it than my bones do, probably.

Sure would like to know what the two "spoon" ends of this little red measuring spoon... thing are. I suppose the big deep one could be a tablespoon, maybe. If so, the midget dwarf f*cker on the other end can't be a teaspoon. Er... Apologies to the short-arse folks in the audience, it's been one of those... lives.

I only added three tablespoons instead of four-and-a-half because: (a) It's a Northern Light Auto, and I've read that autoflowering strains take less nutrients, (b) I'd rather run out early and get to I mean have to use a more specific flowering nutrient mix than to have plenty of everything and way too much N in the latter 60% of the flowering phase, after the stretch has finished (f*ck leafy buds), and (c) I didn't notice the measuring thing until it was too late to use it, it doesn't have a half-tablespoon end (AFAIFK), it's late, and I was tired of screwing with it.

I also have a Train Wreck Auto (Crop King Seeds, so... I don't know who the breeder is for that one, either ;) ) that I need to transplant. It's currently growing in an ounce or two of soil :rolleyes: . But it's the middle of the night here, so... dark. And I somehow managed to forget to eat today's meal and it's already tomorrow a different today, so I'm going to post this and go eat the other half of the can of bean soup. I'll sure be glad when Spring rolls around and... Fawk, I can't see to paint any more, lol, there goes "hoping for a busy Spring so I can..." Well, I can plant sh!t in the Spring... yeah. C'mon, time, f*cking pass, lol. I got my "hungry" in early this year, so we could skip Winter altog-- no, need a good freeze to kill the bugs in the upper level of soil. <SIGH> If it aint one thing, it's... well, it's still the one thing, I never could understand that saying. Life just throws seventeen more things on ya, too - but there's still that one thing, lol. IDFK. I guess you have to be a little bit loopy to come up with sayings and stuff. About three more days with no sleep and maybe they'll hire me for that job. It's not like there's anything else pressing AtFM. Creditors can press this, lol. Someone once said ya can't get blood out of a turnip. Another one of those f*cked up sayings that don't really say anything at all - because, like Pop said the one time he heard me say that saying (uh...), "Yeah, but have you seen a turnip after someone has tried?" What doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger. Another one that you'd have had to have been a fawkin' moron to come up with. What doesn't kill ya still hurts like a motherf*cker - and has a tendency to scar ya for life, lol. I tell ya, I could DO that job. Early to bed, early to rise - because lights cost too doggone much to run. The early bird gets the worm - but who wants to eat a worm, lol? Shoot the bird while that SOB is eating, it might not be paying attention. Besides, pigeon tastes 17% better than worm. Trust me. I've been poor... and I once had the opportunity to win a bet on the playground in 3rd grade. On the other hand, 17% better isn't a lot better, and it takes longer to choke down a pigeon. So... Six to five and pick 'em. That reminds me, I've got a can of potted meat food product down in the kitchen. I could have that with my soup. Hmm... Nah, I think I'd rather eat another earthworm. If they have to state right on the label that it's a f*cking "food product," it's because you sure as sh!t aren't going to be able to tell by tasting it. WTF IS THIS?! It's food. Are ya sure? <SHRUGS> Must be, it says so right there on the front of the label. And the is the good ol' US of Fookin' A, so only 22.5% earthworm allowed. Otherwise, lol, it'd be bird food - and probably taste just a wee bit better. No kidding, that stuff is rank. I did have two cans, but I felt sorry for my cat; she's slowly starving to death because all I could afford was some dry cat food, and it's all she can do to eat a few bites at a time because she's got some serious dental pain going on. She saw me scooping that sh!t out onto a plate and nearly ran up my leg trying to get to it before I could even set the plate down on the floor. She sniffed it... and walked away. I thought about eating it then, but... They have to tell you that it's a food product. . . .

They also make a potting soil I may try

Did you? If so, how was it? I might have a bag buried in the shed in that pile that hasn't been disturbed in six or seven years.

Is a tablespoon of Osmocote Plus equal to 15 grams of the stuff? If not, has anyone got weights handy (some listed amount of OP per amount of soil in grams)?

Did you? If so, how was it? I might have a bag buried in the shed in that pile that hasn't been disturbed in six or seven years.

No TS I never got around to trying the OC+ soil.

Right now I'm actually experimenting with some Dr Earth Life All Purpose pellets.
Sort of like OC+ but it's slow release organic. I've used it with other DrE products mixed into the soil, but this run is FF Strawberry Fields soil with the pellets mixed in and I'm only going to use water unless I notice a deficiency.

No TS I never got around to trying the OC+ soil.

Right now I'm actually experimenting with some Dr Earth Life All Purpose pellets.
Sort of like OC+ but it's slow release organic. I've used it with other DrE products mixed into the soil, but this run is FF Strawberry Fields soil with the pellets mixed in and I'm only going to use water unless I notice a deficiency.
Did you ever finish your dr earth experiment? If successful, how much did you use? I’m using promix hp in SIP containers and I’m in a toss up on which slow release fertilizer to try, between Osmocote, dynamite, and dr earth. Can’t find much info on the latter as far as cannabis is concerned.

Back
Top Bottom