Osmocote Plus Plant Food: Discuss Its Use With Cannabis Here!

here is a link to my 12/12 from seed OC+ grow

we were panicking at first because they were so small when we started to see hairs. Then they exploded and filled the room

Hash Hound, quick question was I suppose to start 12/12 from seed with the 6500k or the 2700k:hmmmm:? I started them with the 6500k bulbs because it seemed right then I thought but if its suppose to be 12/12 then maybe it's the 2700k bulbs, so here I am,thx

aka

If I remember correct, I used the MH (5500k) until about a week after I saw good hair formation, then I switched to the HPS (2700k).
I actually do the same when not starting from 12/12, switch bulbs when I see hairs.

Also, 12/12 from seed is tricky for counting the number of flowering weeks, I started when I saw the first sign of hairs.

But if vegging for a few weeks at lets say 16/8 then switching to 12/12, I count from the day I switch to 12/12. I'm not sure which is the right method, but;

I am starting to believe that sensing when a plant is ready might be more important than counting a specific number of days or weeks of flowering. It is a base to start with, but when they are at their stickiest and stinkiest, and hopefully cloudiest (tris), that's when I think they are ready. I have noticed even during veg and early flower the growth and smell seem to pick up at full moon, and mid flowering full moon they smell strong and are sticky. My friend who has daily hands on to the grow room has noticed this the most.

IMHO, The closer the recommended flowering time is to finishing near a full moon the better, and I will test that this grow.
We flipped to 12/12 this grow 10 weeks before 2 more full moons. (that was at the last new moon) At one week I saw hairs, so that will be 9 weeks til full moon. So the full moon coinciding with the recommended flowering time should make for some awesome smoke.

I am looking forward to this being my best grow yet, and that will be hard to top the last White Widow and Kandy Kush grow that turned out excellent being picked a few days before the approaching full moon. Couldn't wait til the exact full moon because of personal matter.

Just aFYI-

Osmocote has been sold, and it's getting hard to fine the OC+ product at e.g., home de' pot. If it's what you want, better go looking soon. One of my local (SE Mich) garden centers (not hydro store- think flowers and gnomes) has some.

(got this info off the Scotts web site)

:peace:

Just aFYI-

Osmocote has been sold, and it's getting hard to fine the OC+ product at e.g., home de' pot. If it's what you want, better go looking soon. One of my local (SE Mich) garden centers (not hydro store- think flowers and gnomes) has some.

(got this info off the Scotts web site)

:peace:

Just to add some additional information, there are two lines of Osmocote products, professional and consumer.

The professional product line is a slightly different formulation (mainly less calcium and magnesium) and is available in different release patterns such as Hi-Start , Standard, and Lo-Start. There are also different four different longevity ratings rantings available, 3-4 mo. 5-6 mo. 8-9 mo. and 12-14 mo., depending on the release pattern. The smallest package I've found the professional line in is 50 lb. bags.

The professional side of The Scotts Miracle Grow Company (Scotts Professional) was purchased by ILC Specialty Fertilizers back in February and has been sold under the Everris brand name since May.

The consumer product line that we are familiar with in Home dePot etc. (Which includes Osmocote Plus in the 4.5 lb. jug) was an off-shoot of the professional line. While the Scotts professional business group was sold, part of the deal was that The Scotts Company retained the rights to market the consumer Osmocote line of products. The American consumer line of Osmocote products has been distributed by Bloomington Brands LLC since 2003.

The I suspect the fact that Home dePot has stopped carrying the OC+ product line was merely a decision made by their buyers since they still carry the regular Osmocote line. If I were to guess, I'd say it didn't sell as well because it was more expensive than the regular stuff.

If you go to the Osmocote Plus page on Scotts' website they have a locate retailer option so you can see who carries it near you. Most Ace hardwares and True Values as well as garden centers around me carry it, but if they are out they probably won't be getting more in until spring (at least in my cold-ass part of the country). Amazon also has it available from several suppliers.

:Namaste:

Just to add some additional information, there are two lines of Osmocote products, professional and consumer.

The professional product line is a slightly different formulation (mainly less calcium and magnesium) and is available in different release patterns such as Hi-Start , Standard, and Lo-Start. There are also different four different longevity ratings rantings available, 3-4 mo. 5-6 mo. 8-9 mo. and 12-14 mo., depending on the release pattern. The smallest package I've found the professional line in is 50 lb. bags.

The professional side of The Scotts Miracle Grow Company (Scotts Professional) was purchased by ILC Specialty Fertilizers back in February and has been sold under the Everris brand name since May.

The consumer product line that we are familiar with in Home dePot etc. (Which includes Osmocote Plus in the 4.5 lb. jug) was an off-shoot of the professional line. While the Scotts professional business group was sold, part of the deal was that The Scotts Company retained the rights to market the consumer Osmocote line of products. The American consumer line of Osmocote products has been distributed by Bloomington Brands LLC since 2003.

The I suspect the fact that Home dePot has stopped carrying the OC+ product line was merely a decision made by their buyers since they still carry the regular Osmocote line. If I were to guess, I'd say it didn't sell as well because it was more expensive than the regular stuff.

If you go to the Osmocote Plus page on Scotts' website they have a locate retailer option so you can see who carries it near you. Most Ace hardwares and True Values as well as garden centers around me carry it, but if they are out they probably won't be getting more in until spring (at least in my cold-ass part of the country). Amazon also has it available from several suppliers.

In my neck of the woods, the great Northwest, Fred Mylers has the stuff in their garden dept. as does the local Grange. Generally $17.99 for the jug, occasionally on sale for $13.99.

Re: Osmocote Plus Progress

Here are a few photos of the current grow using OC+ and a few other additives to the soil, nothing major, just a little lime, gypsum, epsom. Water with Molasses, Snowstorm Ultra, and occasionally Gianormous.

Pollinated all a few weeks ago with Querkle male. Over did it a little, first attempt and seeds are everywhere on the Afrodite. Live and learn.
Defoliated today at 6 weeks flowering.

Here is the Afrodite not defoliated yet
Afro_flwr_6wks.jpg

The Cream Carmel
CC_flwr_6wks.jpg

The AK47
AK47_flwr_6_wks_bud.jpg

And a room view with Kannabia Original Berry front right just put in the room
room_flwr_6wks.jpg

05021.JPG
04935.JPG
high HH, just wanted to ask your opinion on why you think the tips are curling over. 3 wks old from 12/12, oc+, SSU, weak fert of guano tea is all I've given her. since the curl started I've stopped the tea. now it's plain water one day and SSU the next day and back and forth. I read that the curling was because not enough water but I water everyday, don't drown her tho and there's a good drain from pot so..what the hell am I doing wrong?:helpsmilie::scratchinghead:. lemme ask you this too, what do you think about putting her under 18 hrs for growth now that I know it's a she or should I continue on the 12/12?:thanks: ps. germinated 10, 2 sprouted, 1 was male and he was the smaller of the 2 so I happy.:Namaste:

ak,

not sure what the leaf curl is from. I get that occasionally, but it never gets real bad or turns the leaves yellow or anything like that.

And I might get one plant like that out of four, but all four have the same soil/nute mix and get watered the same, so I have never figured out why one out of four gets the claw.

Watering daily isn't a good idea. You should soak them real good every few days. They should be able to go a few days between waterings, depending on the soil mix and strain. My friend leaves his room for a week at a time, comes back and they are drooping, he waters them and in a few hours, they are back to normal. Of course yours are in small pots and might need more frequent watering til they get in a big pot.

Also, how much OC did you use in that little square pot? You should be using 1 tbsp/gal of soil. And a little extra won't hurt. Your pot looks like less then a pint.

I would leave them on 12/12. You will be surprised how much they will start to stretch under 12/12. I was paranoid that my plants would be two small using 12/12, but they grew way bigger than I had anticipated. Unless you want to really fill the room with one plant or turn her into a mother, I wouldn't switch. Plus you loose time reverting back to vegging.

The link to my Papaya grow will show you what 12/12 can produce. It also might depend on the strain you are growing. My Papaya and Super Skunk grew big and bushy, the Kandy Kush and White Widow were big, but the Vanilla Kush didn't get so big, and I would liked her to have filled out a bit more,

05021.JPG
04935.JPG
high HH, just wanted to ask your opinion on why you think the tips are curling over. 3 wks old from 12/12, oc+, SSU, weak fert of guano tea is all I've given her. since the curl started I've stopped the tea. now it's plain water one day and SSU the next day and back and forth. I read that the curling was because not enough water but I water everyday, don't drown her tho and there's a good drain from pot so..what the hell am I doing wrong?:helpsmilie::scratchinghead:. lemme ask you this too, what do you think about putting her under 18 hrs for growth now that I know it's a she or should I continue on the 12/12?:thanks: ps. germinated 10, 2 sprouted, 1 was male and he was the smaller of the 2 so I happy.:Namaste:

I hope you don't mind my input as well, but that's usually caused by too much nitrogen... Some strains tolerate more than others, it doesn't look bad though. With OC+ keeping the soil moist all the time will release more nutes. In my experience leaves drooping from over or under-watering look different.

Hash is right, mmj likes dry feet. I've always liked DocBuds monsoon watering technique. I don't water as much as he does, but the principle is the same. You let the pot dry out until it's pretty light, not to the point of wilting, but pretty dry none the less. Then, when you water you give it sort of a mini flush. I'll water a .8 gallon Air-Pot without 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon. DocBud was using more water and raises the humidity as well on the day of the watering, but you can check his journals if you want to see exactly how he does it.

I believe the roots benefit from drying out a bit because it encourages new root growth as the plant seeks out moisture. Roots also need oxygen, so keeping your soil too moist can literally drown the roots and promote root-rot, sometimes even in good draining soil.

I have noticed with this watering technique the plants growth seems to explode with each watering, the mini flush also keeps salts from building up in the soil.

I think you should stay on 12/12 as well, the plants will flower when they are mature... You'll be surprised how big they will finish.

Again, sorry for butting-in...

First of all your Papaya grow was awesome HH, the buds and the frost were beautiful. But, you were using 400 watt mh so I don't expect to see the same results from my 40 watt cfl's lol. My soil is foxfarms ocean forest and the seeds are bagseed (if that means seeds that I saved from good herbs over the last 4 years). That little square pot isn't a pint even tho it may look like it, it's actually 2.6 liters. I used a little over a tsp. of OC+. I'm going to try watering every other day until I get a gal pot. And yeah I'll leave her on 12/12 just to see what I get. How tall do you think she'll get because even tho I'm seeing white hairs she is still under the vegging light and I didn't intend on switching lights until she got bigger. Last but not least should I give the SSU every other watering? Thx bro :Namaste:

Fratdogg how could I possibly mind your input? I appreciate everyone that takes the time to answer a question I ask. That's what this community is all about and that's why I love it here. I think you might have hit it on the head because I had read that in the first 2 wks, high nitrogen would make females so I was feeding a tea of mexican guano( 10-2-1 ) and once I saw the curling I stopped the tea. I'm going to water every other day and see what happens. Thx for pointing me in DocBud's direction too. Feel free to butt in anytime, I'm glad you did.:Namaste:

akaman, Where's your grow journal?

One thing I found with using OC+ is to keep your temps down. If temps are high, the N will dump and the leaves will claw.

high VOJ, I was hoping no one mentioned a journal:). Being this is my second time trying to grow, with the emphasis on trying, and that I was using bagseed, I didn't feel I was ready to start a journal. I want to be successful first so the information that I give will be good enough for every beginner, like myself, to be able to grow and get a decent yield. Not to mention that I want to try to perfect a way of growing before I spend the hard earned on the "top shelf" seeds. Not trying to fail at that point. As for the temps, night temps are 75 degrees and day temps( lights on) are between 79 and 82 degrees. So the temps are the only thing I know I'm doing right.:Namaste:

aka, i disagree. if u have the means (camera etc), u should put up a journal. bagseed grows are tough. w/unknown genetics u don't know what to expect which makes the grow more difficult. if u're successful u must be hella' grower & are to be commended. well, my 2 cents.

aka, i disagree. if u have the means (camera etc), u should put up a journal. bagseed grows are tough. w/unknown genetics u don't know what to expect which makes the grow more difficult. if u're successful u must be hella' grower & are to be commended. well, my 2 cents.

hi paw-paw, actually the only camera I have is my iphone camera which takes decent photos but I can't take any pics up close. Maybe the next time I will do a small journal. In the meantime I'll still post pics here to show the progress.

Wicked eagle-clawing. Too much nitrogen? Or is that a general characteristic of the strain?

prolly too much heat. oc dumps N when the temps get high. dynamite red is a better choice under high heat conditions. DM dumps N too, just not as quickly.

Back
Top Bottom