Osmocote Plus Plant Food: Discuss Its Use With Cannabis Here!

ive read and searched this thread for the dose of osmocote plus in a 2gallon perlite hempy bucket. also ive read grows with it in th bottom and some with it just above the hole and again just below the surface. can someone please help me of point me in the right direction?

I used 2 tablespoons OC+ per gallon, 1 tablespoon per gallon Ironite and 1 tablespoon per gallon epsom salts in a run with all perlite hempies. I used tap water and added calcium the last three weeks of flower via ground up vitamin pills at 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water. A 2 gallon bucket is good for 12/12 from seed and not much else, much better is a 3 gallon container which gives you room for a couple weeks of veg. I also cheated by putting blue shop towels in a u shape up the sides and across the bottom (2) to keep some solution higher up in the perlite. Put the hole 2.061 up from the bottom.

I tried the 2 liter hempy bottle this current run and OC+ seems to work just fine, I put 1 tbsp in each bottle. After 5 to 6 weeks I ended up with a P deficiency, I did a little top dressing and it cleared up, but this is the 1st time I ever had a nute deficiency using OC. I'll up the starting quantity on the next run and see.

Hey wattsaver, what did your P deficiency look like? And were you in soil? I have some yellowing and some "rusty" spots and edges on my leaves... Been doing the calmag thing w epsom and soft rock phosphate but I only started 2 wks ago...

Hey wattsaver, what did your P deficiency look like? And were you in soil? I have some yellowing and some "rusty" spots and edges on my leaves... Been doing the calmag thing w epsom and soft rock phosphate but I only started 2 wks ago...

The P def showed on the large fans first, as large dark yellow splotches that darkened to rust brown in the center

Oh, and I am also in 2L hempies with OC+

How much OC+ are you using in each 2L? I used just 1 tbs.

as you can see in post #1079 the plants were about dead.

One of the hottest summers I can remember around here toasted them good. I did top off both with another tbsp while they were dying to see if that would help their decline, but they still faded fast in the heat.

I picked off most of the dead stuff and let them go to see what happened. Both seem to have made sort of a come back, and I have already picked a zucchini off of each plant and they both have the beginnings of more.
no conclusion can be made from this summers experiment as to which is best, but both show they grow great plants, and have plenty of grow power left in the soil even after a blistering hot summer.

4 clones I gave to a friend for his veggie garden are doing quite well with little very little care thanks to OC+.

My next planned grow will be a OC+/brixperiment.

OC+
Zucchini_OC_comeback.jpg

DMR
Zucchini_DMR_comeback.jpg

Someone I met told me that 5 gal garbage cans (office, rectangular) with a few holes drilled around and on the bottom gives rise to several oz of goodness each... just rinsed coir plus ~1/3-1/2 perlite by volume, 1/2c OC+, very rarely some molasses, diatomaceous earth and epsom salts. No pH control used at all or viewed as necessary based on plant health, using Detroit city water exclusively- not even dechlorinated in any way. Strains are Suuuuuper Lemon Haze, White Siberian, and Claustrum. With three packed into a 2x4 foot tent, initial estimates are 1/2 lb on a 400W CMH retrofit bulb with a couple 42W CFLs added in late (~ 6 weeks in) flowering to help out the anemic bottom buds. Harvested on the early side (mostly cloudy with a few amber trichs on leaves; 3/4 cloudy with few/no amber on calices) When big, the plants needed nearly a gallon of water DAILY, each, and lack of reservoir meant watering had to be daily without fail. This was not a hempy or water-to-waste situation- just dumped in like your average houseplant. Indeed it was reported that for most of the grow, the plants were likely heat-stressed because temps were 90-95 during daylight and no less than mid-70s at night.

Electricity was probably the greatest cost in dollars- just a few bucks for coir; a huge bag of perlite (~23 bux- used less than 1/4 of it); 1.5 cup OC+; seeds obtained at retail prices (so ~30 bux) ... and the power for lights, fans, dehumidifier (a basement grow...) and central air in the house meant something like $1.50/day for power (not including much of the AC costs this summer). Everything else was on hand from previous attempts.

Should last my acquaintance and his Mrs more than a year... maybe 2 or 3.

Just wanted to let the community know that simple works great. Not the smoothest in the world, but it hasn't cured, wasn't flushed, or otherwise pampered (or so I'm told...).

Yay! Simple, cheap and dumb! DEFINITELY a grow for the cheap and lazy. And plenty per plant in an insanely cramped situation.

as you can see in post #1079 the plants were about dead.

One of the hottest summers I can remember around here toasted them good. I did top off both with another tbsp while they were dying to see if that would help their decline, but they still faded fast in the heat.

I'd expect that squash borers would also be an issue- they sure are here in MI.

naw, i'm pretty sure it was the heat. I had to water them 2x a day and they would be wilting, then perk right back up. and they are making a nice come back lately.

what you described above with the coir and OC+ might have been better hempy style. and all you need to drill is one hole.

Just wanted to let the community know that simple works great. Not the smoothest in the world, but it hasn't cured, wasn't flushed, or otherwise pampered (or so I'm told...).

Yay! Simple, cheap and dumb! DEFINITELY a grow for the cheap and lazy. And plenty per plant in an insanely cramped situation.

Sounds like a nice grow despite the problems. Yea the electric is the highest cost, being I have a little OCD I've tracked my usage and it cost me just under $17/plant/grow for elect.
Speaking of simple if you want to take it to the next level of easy, I'd recommend running hempy buckets. Same medium, same supplements, Smaller bucket (3gal), less OC (5 to 6 tbs/bucket), 1/2 the watering, same yield (3oz/plant avg)

Still hard to beat OC+, especially for outdoor where you can't really give a plant a lot of care.

Here is a bud of Green Poison grown in regular garden soil with a tbsp of OC+ at the root ball. Very intense smoke.

Green_Poison_byd_12.jpg

I had an osmocote issue this summer with an outdoor girl. She was a mom Maui-Wowie, clone was cut 3/3/12 kept at 22" or less until 7/24 when I set her free and put her outdoors. A heaping tbsp of OC+ kept her going for over 4 months. When I put her outside I transplanted her 2.5qt soil core into a 3 gal hempy bucket and filled top 2" around the core with soil also, all perlite below. When I built the bucket I used 1 tbsp of OC+ and 3 tbsp's of Osmocote 14-14-14. This mix has given me great results indoors under lights, the 14-14-14 isn't cleated the way OC+ but will feed at a very rapid pace if called upon to do so by the plant growth. It says it will feed for up to 4 months but I've found that with MJ its an 8 to 10 wk which works out great in my grow cycles.

Here we go, set outside 7/24
projects_007.jpg

8/10 - 17 days later, more than doubled
GR_0051.jpg

8/29 - XX days into flower and she has started to fade fast, the OC is basically gone, eaten up in less than 5 wks. Maybe if I used all OC+ it might have lasted longer, but can't say if I'd gotten the growth
Mom_002.jpg

Day 35 flower, since the fade been feeding MG bloom booster 15-30-15 2 tsp/gal and the last wk 2tsp/gal Cha-Ching and have started to tapper off a little, I've never seen anything eat like this old girl.
MWroot_004.jpg

So I now know that I'll have to do some adjusting if I run another hempy outside. NOT giving up on OC it's the best CRF I've found.

Nice looking plant. I think maybe a 5 gallon Hempy with the requisite 2 tablespoons OC+ per gallon of soil might have been appropriate but your result is excellent. Many people prefer the nute level to drop toward the end so they can add bloom boosters safely. I bet you are watering every day but I like fooling with my plants daily so nothing wrong with that. I bought some 14-14-14 a while back and have not used any yet, may put it to use soon as getting OC+ around here is getting harder.

a few more OC+ grown buds.

I don't wanna brag, but the White Widow is some of the best pot in the area. Unfortunately it was only about half an oz. So me and a few close friends will be the only ones to attest to that fact.

When I originally read the strain description "recommend for experienced smokers only" I thought, ya right. Believe me they weren't kiddin. No one has shown me better yet.

Both of these strains were from Tude freebies.

White Widow 5th gen clone, still as potent as original mom.
G8os_WW5_1bud.jpg

Green Poison clone
G8os_Green_Poison_1bud.jpg

This is a Kannabia - Original Berry, 5 weeks old (4 weeks GLR 1 week 12/12), under 600w since day 2.

600w MHconversion bulb burnt out after the first week, so she has been under 600w HPS since.

Tight node spacing. Side branches are almost caught up to the top.

soil is a mixture of what ever was left on the shelf from other grows, and of course some OC+

she would probably fill the room by her self given the opportunity.

G9_BB_1_wk_flwr.jpg

Back
Top Bottom