420 Magazine Background

OSSC White Critical

Old Salt

Member of the Month: Apr, Nov 2019
Changing the water soon ill try that then.
Im hoping to just switch the lid to a new bucket when I do the water changes. The roots are starting to wrap around the airlines so im a little nervous about doing any root damage switching.
Perhaps running the air line through the lids, and suspending the airstones just above the bottom of the pails will work better for you.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 423

423

Well-Known Member
I think that would work too. I run an airstone in a gallon jug I mix nutes foir the soil with and that works well for it. When the airstone is suspended you can just hear the bubbles, when it rest on the bottom it vibrates and makes noise.
Im not sure how much difference airating the water for a soil grow makes but I have for a while. I havent been able to find a lot of information about other people doing that. I figure more disolved oxygen in water is better for soil too.

Im going to try the silicon to secure the airstones to the bottom. I think it could help with circulating the water better too. Right now the usualy end up just about in the middle under the netpot.
 

Old Salt

Member of the Month: Apr, Nov 2019
My design for DWC had four air stones per container, and eight in the reservoir. Two air pumps were to be used, with half the air stones in each container and reservoir handled by one of the pumps. That way if a pump failed, I wouldn't lose my crop.

For water circulation, I used an aquarium or small pond water pump to pump water from the reservoir to the containers. Gravity returned the water to the reservoir. The water level in the plant containers was set by a stand pipe, with holes where I wanted it. The stand pipe extended through the lid, and could be unscrewed from the bulkhead fittings in the bottom of the plant containers. The containers could therefore be left in place, and drained through the reservoir to change the nutrient solution. I also ran a return air line from the container lids back to the reservoir, outside the grow area to cut down on the humidity in the tent.

All of this is unproven, as I never did put it into production. I had almost finished assembly when I discovered my well would not support DWC. It takes two to three times the water of a coco grow.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 423

423

Well-Known Member
I wish I had room for a setup like that. I think you could be on to something there especialy about being able to keep the humidity down. I hadn't thought about it but evacuating the wet air or even part of it would surley help bring humidity down. I think that'd be a big deal espically if you were using Co2.
I was thinking of running a couple totes at once and adding a resavoir but I think my imaganation was getting bigger than my closet. I would have enough floor space for the containers but barely space for one plant with decent veg time.
 

423

Well-Known Member
Day 20 a light water just 5ml calmag 1/2 gallon water. Tricombs visible on the leaves now.
Day 2. Looks like the begening of the end for the little dwc clone. Fading and maybee a little clawing at the same time. One or the other Ive had but not both at the same time.
Ph 6ish but Im pretty sure higher than It was
Ppm 525. Previos ppm was probably wrong. It was taken in the tote with air on before. Scouped it out with a cup first this time.
Im thinking I had the nutes too strong and it started to claw, but grew out of it and is hungrier now?
 

423

Well-Known Member
Here's the flowering nute mix for this go around.

Silica Blast 5ml
Cal-Mag Plus 5ml
Liquid Karma 10ml
Pure Blend Pro Bloom 10ml
Hydroplex 10ml
Ph 4ish
Ppm 1860

I cut this with water about 50/50 and added .5ml gh ph up.
Ph 6ish
Ppm540
I think this is a little weak for now but its mixed already.

Im not ready for the water change on the dwc im going to top off with this mix to lower ph. Im not sure how much ill use or if I cut it with water first.
 

423

Well-Known Member
I used what was left to do a resavoir change and added to it to get ppm 560 and a 5ish ph.
This didnt go that well, asside from I didnt break the plant. It took me a long time to get the mix to a reasonable ph&ppm. Hopefully I got that right.

The ph of the old mix was 7 high 7 maybee and ppm of 240.
 

423

Well-Known Member
Looks like the resavoir change was a good thing and the dwc crisis has been averted,...for a day or two anyway.
Seems like things are going well for now.
The ph on the last water had gotten outa whack and it seemed like it was going to be trouble getting the ph and ppm's right so with that I decided to change earlier.
The next change is happening with a liquid transfer pump. I previosly thought switching the lid from one tote to a new one would be a good and fast way to change but the full totes and confined space was more hassle than I thought.
 

423

Well-Known Member
Watering day 24 nute mix
Cal-mag plus 5ml
Silica Blast 5ml
Liquid Karma 10ml
Pure Blend Pro 10ml
Hydroplex 5ml
Gh ph up .5ml

Ph high 5 low 6
Ppm 780
 

423

Well-Known Member
The light is 17" and 23" away from the light. The soil is closest but the dwc plant has already gotten bigger than I expected.
 
Top Bottom