'Out Of Options': Veterans With PTSD Hit Pot Underground

The General

Marine veteran Logan Edwards worried he could become one of the 22 former members of the armed services who, on average, commit suicide every day. Then, he says, he tried marijuana. Edwards, who served eight months in Iraq, is one of an unknown number of veterans who have turned to marijuana to manage Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, which may afflict as much as 20 percent of veterans from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to experts. The Department of Veterans Affairs doesn't let its doctors prescribe weed, so the former service members buy it illegally, fib to their doctors, accept it as a gift, or grow it themselves.

In Edwards' case, he says the drug may have saved his life. "The first time I used it, I wanted to cry. Because it took away my anxiety. Because it did everything for me that the Oxycontin, benzodiazepines and anti-depressants the VA prescribed me for three years did not do," said Edwards, 26, a resident of Davenport, Iowa. His symptoms -— an unrelenting "hyper-vigilance," insomnia and nightmares -— emerged "the moment we walked off the plane" in 2008. "I can function completely fine all day just by using cannabis. I'm back in school. My attendance is good. My grades are good. My relationships have healed," added the former Marine. "It allowed me to get my life back."

In a March 12 letter, federal health officials approved a long-delayed study to explore if pot relieves PTSD. But doctors employed by the VA are banned from prescribing medical marijuana — and from completing forms that allow veterans to enroll in medical-marijuana programs. While medical weed is legal in 20 states, only eight states recognize PTSD as a qualifying condition for which physicians can write cannabis prescriptions. Across that tangled post-war legal landscape, thousands of combat veterans are tapping underground sources to buy bootleg marijuana to self-treat PTSD. And in 12 states where the drug is legal but prohibited for PTSD, many are lying to doctors that they need medical weed for allowable conditions like chronic pain, advocates assert. Meantime, vast numbers of other veterans can't find it, can't afford it, abuse alcohol to self-medicate, or rely on conventional VA drugs.

"My brothers are killing themselves because they're out of options," Edwards said. "These VA pharmaceuticals only exacerbate the problem. The listed side effects on (some) of the bottles say: 'Will increase suicidal ideation.' So the suicide rate is really what this comes down to." With marijuana federally classified as a Schedule I controlled substance (like heroin and LSD), VA physicians "will not provide for use," said Gina Jackson, a VA public affairs officer. At the same time, veterans who participate in legal, medical-marijuana programs "will not be denied access to care for VA clinical programs but should be assessed for misuse, adverse effects, and withdrawal."

The possibility of federal drug monitoring —- plus fears of losing VA benefits and the threat of legal trouble —- has driven scores of veterans to secretly use marijuana for decades to address their PTSD symptoms, several veterans said. "Us veterans have already conducted tests on pot and PTSD -— and it works!" said Vietnam veteran Bob Walker, 69. "It's nice to see the feds playing catch up." PTSD expert Dr. Harry Croft, a San Antonio-based psychiatrist who has treated veterans for combat-related anxiety and substance abuse, applauds the federally approved investigation. "We owe it to our veterans with this condition," Croft said. "Unfortunately, present treatment options are not helpful to many veterans and, therefore, other newer options should be scientifically explored, including medical marijuana."

At Walker's home in Northern California, he ingests pot via a vaporizer each night before bed. A Marine veteran grows that marijuana and supplies it free to Walker and a local network of other Vietnam vets. Diagnosed with PTSD, Walker tried VA-prescribed Xanax and anti-depressants but found he could not function on the pharmaceuticals. About 15 years ago, he said, a VA counselor quietly suggested Walker use cannabis to relieve his insomnia, anxiety, stuttering and cold sweats. "It solved a big problem for me. You feel, well, lighter," said Walker, a former Army aircraft mechanic who served in Vietnam in 1965 and 1966, watching his best friend die in a chopper crash. "Probably 60 to 70 percent of the vets I know use marijuana for stress reduction and sleep. It's their baseline medication."

Near Denver, retired Marine and Iraq veteran Sean Azzariti, 32, sees roughly the same rate of pot use among ex-service members with PTSD. He, too, was diagnosed with the disorder. But in Colorado, PTSD is not a qualifying condition under which private doctors can prescribe cannabis to veterans. So, for four years, Azzariti concocted a sham symptom for his physician, saying he needed medical pot for chronic nausea. Simply because of that forced ruse, pro-marijuana advocates ensured Azzarti was the first customer in Colorado to buy legal weed on Jan. 1 when the state began allowing anyone 21 and older to purchase pot. He paid $70 for a strain called Bubba Kush and pot-infused candy truffles.

"If veterans had another avenue (to treat PTSD), most would take that and it would save lives. I wouldn't be talking to you if I didn't have cannabis," said Azzariti, who smokes daily to manage his symptoms. "Veterans have been ignored for 30 years, denied what they truly need to heal. Vietnam veterans could have told us this stuff works. "That's why I'm open about using it. Sure, there's a chance I'll lose my $120-a-month (VA) disability benefits. But that's a small sacrifice to save one life and potentially change the world," Azzariti said. "With all of these people coming home from war, (the PTSD and veteran-suicide crises) are only going to get worse. How are we going to treat that? We can't just keep throwing pills at people."

Near Seattle, Iraq veteran Tom Studley, 28, stopped swallowing pharmaceuticals for his PTSD symptoms four years ago and instead, he said, gained inner peace by smoking, vaporizing and eating marijuana. "The anxiety begins to go away pretty quick and stays away for a while," said Studley, who served as an Army machine gunner. After returning, he was prescribed muscle relaxants, Percocet and methadone for chronic back pain plus Trazodone, Celexa and hydroxyzine pamoate for sleep and anxiety. On his property, Studley now grows, harvests and uses cannabis from his 15 marijuana plants -— a legal crop in Washington State.

"I feel, he said, "less out of control." In Iowa, Marine veteran Edwards is taking control -— but with a painful plan. In May, he will move to Colorado, away from his girlfriend and 3-year-old daughter. He's relocating and transferring colleges, he said, for one reason: to legally access medical marijuana to continue managing his PTSD. He's tired of breaking the law. "I thought my deployment days, being away from my family, ended when I got out of the Marine Corps. But due to the way the federal government and the state want to handle this medical marijuana issue, I still am forced to spend time away from family, treating these wounds of war," Edwards said. "I never thought I would have to leave the state and community I grew up in to get access to medicine that's working and is better for me than the FDA-approved stuff. I never thought I would end up being a medical refugee."

U_S_Army_veteran_Tom_Studley_.jpg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Nbcnews.com
Author: Bill Briggs
Website: 'Out of Options': Veterans With PTSD Hit Pot Underground - NBC News

Sadly our Veterans are addicted to so many lethal drugs. Morphine, Oxycodone, Prozac and many more to keep them addicted. This is how our country's hero's get treated for serving our country. They deserve the best and get the worst.

Spot on Billyjack! I'm also a former Marine. My Son was in the Army during Iraq and came back with severe PTSD. And all the VA has done was get him addicted to all the heavy BS drugs. He has learned the whole opening page the VA has on their site for PTSD. You know, don't ask him how is feeling, only they understand and so on. He knows the whole page by heart so I won't try to help him with his additions. I've planted the seed with the best healer in the world, just waiting for him to want to reach out. He is just not ready because he is afraid of losing his best friends, morphine,oxycodone & prozac. For 4 months he was doing the cannabis concentrated oil (taken correctly) and was a changed man. Then he found out swallowing the oil and how heavy the high was and I had to pull it from him. Heavy med like the concentrated oil with his other friends don't mix and I didn't want to be responsible for him passing out and killing himself. I just have to wait and pray for him to ask and that it won't be too long. He's been addicted now for 10.5 yrs. Frustrating as hell Brother.

As a former Marine and a person who also has PTSD I can relate to this as many Vets can. The drugs the VA gives you are mind numbing to say the least. Many Vets must break the law by growing the only cure I know that helps. Most of the Vets I know have lost all faith in the VA and the Government. Those with PTSD are rarely a threat to others, only to themselves.

Spot on Billyjack! I'm also a former Marine. My Son was in the Army during Iraq and came back with severe PTSD. And all the VA has done was get him addicted to all the heavy BS drugs. He has learned the whole opening page the VA has on their site for PTSD. You know, don't ask him how is feeling, only they understand and so on. He knows the whole page by heart so I won't try to help him with his additions. I've planted the seed with the best healer in the world, just waiting for him to want to reach out. He is just not ready because he is afraid of losing his best friends, morphine,oxycodone & prozac. Four 4 months he was doing the cannabis concentrated oil (taken correctly) and was a changed man. Then he found out swallowing the oil and how heavy the high was and I had to pull it from him. Heavy med like the concentrated oil with his other friends don't mix and I didn't want to be responsible for him passing out and killing himself. I just have to wait and pray for him to ask and that it won't be too long. He's been addicted now for 10.5 yrs. Frustrating as hell Brother.

Shit man, I am real, real sorry. Nothing is as bad as watching our kids suffer. I hope your son finds his way home. It sounds like you have done everything you could. I wish you and your son the best. Semper Fi.

Thanks Brother! Yea, its in his hands. Bottom line is they have to want to do it. Its just so frustrating that they keep our heroes beat down like this. So the battle rages on. Israel has the highest success rate for PTSD that replaces all the couchlock meds our V.A. hands out and it goes unheeded. Greed over death. A true tragedy.

Thanks Brother! Yea, its in his hands. Bottom line is they have to want to do it. Its just so frustrating that they keep our heroes beat down like this. So the battle rages on. Israel has the highest success rate for PTSD that replaces all the couchlock meds our V.A. hands out and it goes unheeded. Greed over death. A true tragedy.

Am a former Vet also, I concur heavily with the above statement "A true tragedy"! Lose your benefits or lose your sanity, I know what my choice is! I'd rather take a natural Herb created by nature with very little side effects, than rather take those concoctions that are handed out like candy with the terrible side effects that drive you to contemplate suicide!

We love our country, we love our people, we fight for it and die for it. That being said our Government sends us abroad to police the world then sends our troops back stateside with severe cases of PTSD. How about doing a tour abroad, get ready to go home waiting to see your family and loved ones and then get the news you just got extended in a shit-box hell hole for another 6 months. Imagine the psychological beat down that is. And most politicians never ever seen combat much less even being in the military. Maybe if we sent a capitol hill battalion over to Afghanistan for a 1 1/2 years they would be aware of what our troops go through. Better yet shit-can them and have them replaced by the good folks in the USO and the celebrities that entertain our men and women while their away from home. Nothing in the world upsets me more than the treatment of our sons and daughters who serve our nation to preserve our freedom and get tossed in a dark corner addicted to heavy drugs and think the only way out is suicide. And make no mistake about it, they don't give a fook about our Hero's. I think about this every day and it seems the only resolve is through prayer. See a Vet? Give a big thank you, a hug and tell them you care.

Another great treatment is the use of service dogs to help those with PTSD. While the initial training can cost $3,000+, it is far cheaper than a life of prescription drugs. Sometimes you can also get help with the cost of training. In addition, we have 100,000's of dogs that need to be adopted. We are broken and I know this but I also know those with PTSD can get help. My condition is hardest on my wife and I know this but she is very supportive. I know it hurts her feelings that it is my dog and not her that helps me deal stressful situations. Many vets could really benefit from a service dog.

I just wanted to add that a dog does not have to be trained as a "service" dog to help. Just getting a dog and training her in basic obedience is a huge benefit. Many of the benefits that a dog brings comes with the relationship between the person and the animal. Having a dog gets you out of the house, makes you less introverted, you have something giving you unconditional love, gives you something to focus on besides yourself. Dogs are naturally vigilant so the person with PTSD relaxes more. A dog trained as a service dog will just add benefits to the relationship. My dog will alert me when someone is walking up behind me, if I get anxious/start to panic, she will lay her head on my lap or lean against my legs or when I have nightmares she will howl until I wake up and then lay on my chest. I will now step off my soapbox and go back to doing other stuff.

I would like to say. That as a Vet I've been on 3 tours. 1st was Kosovo, and we were the last unit to reciev combat pay. Because it had died down. 2nd Iraq, Diyalla province, Baqubah,3. i was recalled after being out for 10 months. I was then given the sweet opportunity to return to Iraq and the Sunni Triangle. For those that want to know where my sector was Ameriya. Yes 2 consective times.
Like I said in my blog most guys try cannabis and before they go in. Just trying to get messed up. We all have. I think we need to effectively come together on a common ground of treatment. We know what does and dosnt work. I have been on everything those guys at the VA could give ya. I felt like I was an experiment. I didnt start manifesting my shit until my 3rd tour. heavy stress due to heavily under trained upper eschelon . Who were recalled as well.
Pot has worked wonders. I have a great wife who started me on the treatment path. she a nurse for crying out loud. So I got lucky.
All i can say is. I have severe PTSD. I have manifested all the symptoms since ive been out. The only thing that works. is my precious cannabis. I was in a roll over. saved a few dudes by covering the hatch of 113 with my body. I have degerative arthirits in my lower back and shoulders. I was on all sorts of stuff. They pushed it. Benzo's the deal. I was on a pain management shcedual of every 3 months they jab a needle in my back. After that i would be even more messed up for a few weeks. I started doing yoga and smoking cannabis. I aint been back to that clinic in years. so yes tell them all to smoke and eat . it will help them. I promise

Back
Top Bottom