Out Of The Tent Extraction Setup

Here's a way to get the extraction equipment out of the tent. I made this one to hang. There's other options for other sizes of filters if you think about it. Here's the pictorial. Let me know if you have questions.

And the Muffler section

Here's a way to get the extraction equipment out of the tent. I made this one to hang. There's other options for other sizes of filters if you think about it. Here's the pictorial. Let me know if you have questions.

And the Muffler section

A nice elegant solution. It's one I'll use myself.

Nice! I couldn't get to my light one grow to raise it so something needed to be done. The muffler is a real bonus for quiet too.

I have a manufactured muffler, so I don't need to fork out for that. Your implementation for the muffler is a good one, as it also incorporates that 90° bend.

Otter, this is excellent!

Love the "muffler" idea, and really there is only one connection point where the seal is absolutely critical: the exhaust side connection to the filter. Everything else is either filtered air or clean air, really.

A leak anywhere else, and it is either sucking fresh air in, or pushing cleaned air out after the fan.

I'm highly considering this idea to run multiple tents. Not 100% sure yet, but it's definitely a better option than running 2 fans/filters. I may even bump up to an 8" fan/filter, but probably not right away.

Even better is the filter could be bypassed for the early stages where it's not an issue. :D

Otter, this is excellent!

Love the "muffler" idea, and really there is only one connection point where the seal is absolutely critical: the exhaust side connection to the filter. Everything else is either filtered air or clean air, really.

A leak anywhere else, and it is either sucking fresh air in, or pushing cleaned air out after the fan.

I'm highly considering this idea to run multiple tents. Not 100% sure yet, but it's definitely a better option than running 2 fans/filters. I may even bump up to an 8" fan/filter, but probably not right away.

Even better is the filter could be bypassed for the early stages where it's not an issue. :D

You'll need to find a bigger pail. The 8" filters are 12" in diameter, and won't fit a 5 gallon pail. The longer your filter is the larger the dianeter should be for air flow. Another concern is the depth. You want at least 1/2 the diameter of your ducts added to your filter's length. You could glue two pails together, cutting the bottom out of the inner one for a longer filter. You can check the DIY wine and beer making shops. They usually will have 6 or 10 gallon fermenting pails. Another possible source is a used 10 or 16 gallon steel or plastic drum.

And the Muffler section

Thanks for posting this. I like the concept. Im currently running a 8 inch acoustic to extract from multiple rooms. Multiple filters is expensive and they always to take up a lot of room in tents etc. Ive seen commercial systems use inline filtering but there so costly its not feasible.
Think im going to knock something up over the weekend :ganjamon:

Oh man... this has got me thinking on several levels.

After mentioning bumping up to an 8" fan, I noticed they also make a 12"x6" exhaust that's rated at 240 CFM and only 7.5w for $99. (An 8" runs $179, without the temp control, and $199 with, for the record.)

So this got me to thinking (which is bad, just ask @Old Salt :laughtwo::laughtwo:) about how I was going to set my stuff up.

Here is a rough sketch of what I'm thinking.

filter-exhaust-box.jpg

Effectively a 3' long, 1.5' high and deep (give or take) box.

I could run (2) 6" carbon filters, or with a hair more length run (1) 8" filter.

Fans: (2) AC Infinity AIRTITAN-T7's ($99/ea)

The fans are 12" wide, 6" tall, and 1.5" thick. They are also rated at 240cfm and only draw 7.5w each. :D :D :D

For me, this would fit my setup better. It would allow for two tents (I can cap an intake if one is not in use) off of one exhaust setup, and the fans have a programming capability. I can set one to run continuously, and have the other kick on if the temps get too warm. :)

I have a shelf I was going to just put the buckets on (horizontally), but this may work better overall for me.

a) less power consumed
b) not running two setups
c) sits more easily on the shelf
d) "some" automation to it all, if needed
e) I like building crazy stuff. :rofl:

Still need to think it over. I have a 6" and a 4" inline fan already. The 6" would need to run on the upper settings (probably 6 or 7, out of 8) as it's only a 350cfm fan, which is about enough for 2 4x4's with filters.

If I ended up with an 8" fan, that's $200 already, the same as (2) of the Titan ones. Plus the 8" draws 140w, yikes!

I need to think it through a bit, but outside of the fans (I have filters already) The rest of the materials wouldn't be much.

Feck, here I go again. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oh man... this has got me thinking on several levels.

After mentioning bumping up to an 8" fan, I noticed they also make a 12"x6" exhaust that's rated at 240 CFM and only 7.5w for $99. (An 8" runs $179, without the temp control, and $199 with, for the record.)

So this got me to thinking (which is bad, just ask @Old Salt :laughtwo::laughtwo:) about how I was going to set my stuff up.

Here is a rough sketch of what I'm thinking.

filter-exhaust-box.jpg

Effectively a 3' long, 1.5' high and deep (give or take) box.

I could run (2) 6" carbon filters, or with a hair more length run (1) 8" filter.

Fans: (2) AC Infinity AIRTITAN-T7's ($99/ea)

The fans are 12" wide, 6" tall, and 1.5" thick. They are also rated at 240cfm and only draw 7.5w each. :D :D :D

For me, this would fit my setup better. It would allow for two tents (I can cap an intake if one is not in use) off of one exhaust setup, and the fans have a programming capability. I can set one to run continuously, and have the other kick on if the temps get too warm. :)

I have a shelf I was going to just put the buckets on (horizontally), but this may work better overall for me.

a) less power consumed
b) not running two setups
c) sits more easily on the shelf
d) "some" automation to it all, if needed
e) I like building crazy stuff. :rofl:

Still need to think it over. I have a 6" and a 4" inline fan already. The 6" would need to run on the upper settings (probably 6 or 7, out of 8) as it's only a 350cfm fan, which is about enough for 2 4x4's with filters.

If I ended up with an 8" fan, that's $200 already, the same as (2) of the Titan ones. Plus the 8" draws 140w, yikes!

I need to think it through a bit, but outside of the fans (I have filters already) The rest of the materials wouldn't be much.

Feck, here I go again. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Yep dangerous! However you do it, the job needs to get done. In the end if it makes life better then you win.

I've been playing around with the idea of moving the filter out of the tent for a while. The 'tent topper' was the first piece of the puzzle to come together for me. I was thinking along the lines of a 16" X 16" X 30" box that could handle 6 or 8 inch filters, between 16 - 24 inches in length. You can't always find the filter you want when you need them. ;)

One of the square sides would have a hole cut for the exit flange of the filter. The other could handle openings for flanges to connect to the tent(s). I was thinking of putting it in a vertical frame with the fan and silencer mounted under it. Another possibility running through my mind was placing it horizontally on top of a 5' or 6' tent. It could be incorporated into a tent topper with this approach. A piece of self-adhesive neoprene is my choice for the seals.

I've been playing around with the idea of moving the filter out of the tent for a while. The 'tent topper' was the first piece of the puzzle to come together for me. I was thinking along the lines of a 16" X 16" X 30" box that could handle 6 or 8 inch filters, between 16 - 24 inches in length. You can't always find the filter you want when you need them. ;)

One of the square sides would have a hole cut for the exit flange of the filter. The other could handle openings for flanges to connect to the tent(s). I was thinking of putting it in a vertical frame with the fan and silencer mounted under it. Another possibility running through my mind was placing it horizontally on top of a 5' or 6' tent. It could be incorporated into a tent topper with this approach. A piece of self-adhesive neoprene is my choice for the seals.
I like the multi inlet idea. The neoprene tape too is a better thought than rtv. Topper for the win too.

filter-exhaust-box-jpg.1962640

So thinking more on this one (fans will be here in 2 days, so it's happening :rofl:) and I "think" I may turn it so it's tall and not long.

Follow along with me here.

With a long design, I would need a decent way to support the filter(s). No matter how you slice it, that's taking space around it though which air could flow. Or some type of support underneath, which is still not optimal.

If I make it tall, it's now similar to the bucket design (just all in one box) and the filter can support itself on the nose. It would also allow for a 90* turn on the outflow, which is part of the muffler design.

Still thinking it through, obviously, but another feature could be that I can combine this with some peg board on the outside in some fashion. That would give me the hang spots for power strips, the temp readouts, etc. I was going to do the peg board anyway, and now this would just facilitate that by being able to combine the two.

Make the box 42in tall, and extend the peg board above that about 2ft.

Put some legs on it, and get the box about 6in off the floor. Add some screen to it to keep the buggies out when it's not running.

Need to figure out ducting, caps, etc. As long as the wall and filter connections between the back of the fans are sealed, that's the crucial point. Gotta force all air coming in through that filtration. :)

filter-exhaust-box-jpg.1962640

So thinking more on this one (fans will be here in 2 days, so it's happening :rofl:) and I "think" I may turn it so it's tall and not long.

Follow along with me here.

With a long design, I would need a decent way to support the filter(s). No matter how you slice it, that's taking space around it though which air could flow. Or some type of support underneath, which is still not optimal.

If I make it tall, it's now similar to the bucket design (just all in one box) and the filter can support itself on the nose. It would also allow for a 90* turn on the outflow, which is part of the muffler design.

Still thinking it through, obviously, but another feature could be that I can combine this with some peg board on the outside in some fashion. That would give me the hang spots for power strips, the temp readouts, etc. I was going to do the peg board anyway, and now this would just facilitate that by being able to combine the two.

Make the box 42in tall, and extend the peg board above that about 2ft.

Put some legs on it, and get the box about 6in off the floor. Add some screen to it to keep the buggies out when it's not running.

Need to figure out ducting, caps, etc. As long as the wall and filter connections between the back of the fans are sealed, that's the crucial point. Gotta force all air coming in through that filtration. :)
Nice! Can't wait to see it. No pressure. :)

Back
Top Bottom