Outdoor Blue Dream While Living In The LBC

Its not that I really have a height restriction, just want to keep her under the wall height. I have heard about LST, but never tried it, what is the purpose and does it benefit bud growth? I didnt weigh her wet/fresh, only did a dry weighing
Left to naturally grow you plant will probably do so in a christmas tree shape. By the time it comes close to reaching the top of the wall it is getting a bit too late to manage the height if at that point you deem it to be getting too high. Some plants will easily breach 6 foot.
LST will help bend down the height seeking main stem and keep the plant below the wall, as well as most likely benefiting bud growth as the more the plant grows towards horizontal the more sun will reach them.
Check out @InTheShed's great little tutorial on LST How I perform LST, low stress training, on my plants: lots of pics!

36-9334b1ac64a5-1-01251d615c85f19338ef1e2eaa8d7c9e.jpg

Get one of these. I love mine. The little light is awesome. Then go read about using one on cannabis. Can't take any chances with those premium genes.

This is why having a journal is important. The more eyes on the grow the more info you get.

Left to naturally grow you plant will probably do so in a christmas tree shape. By the time it comes close to reaching the top of the wall it is getting a bit too late to manage the height if at that point you deem it to be getting too high. Some plants will easily breach 6 foot.
LST will help bend down the height seeking main stem and keep the plant below the wall, as well as most likely benefiting bud growth as the more the plant grows towards horizontal the more sun will reach them.
Check out @InTheShed's great little tutorial on LST How I perform LST, low stress training, on my plants: lots of pics!
I never hesitate to man handle a plant even in full blown flowering. I've even crushed the stem at 2' and simply laid them down. Even over half way to finish. If this is done a large knot forms at the bend and you'll get one hell of an explosion on growth at every bud site above the bend. It's never to late.

I never hesitate to man handle a plant even in full blown flowering. I've even crushed the stem at 2' and simply laid them down. Even over half way to finish. If this is done a large knot forms at the bend and you'll get one hell of an explosion on growth at every bud site above the bend. It's never to late.
The general advice is to try to do it before flowering really kicks in, but yes like you I have done similar when action needs to be taken. They're tough plants! :)

The general advice is to try to do it before flowering really kicks in, but yes like you I have done similar when action needs to be taken. They're tough plants! :)
They sure are. I'm rather brutal to mine and they love the stress. I think my first grow twenty years ago I grew a untrained plant then it was either scrog or bend her over. Old growers I learned from jumped down my throat one day when I mentioned topping a plant. So, decapitation was stricken from my thoughts..forever..lol. It's an effective method. LST is too. It's whatever brings the buds to the bowl.

I've even crushed the stem at 2' and simply laid them down. Even over half way to finish. If this is done a large knot forms at the bend and you'll get one hell of an explosion on growth at every bud site above the bend. It's never to late.
I heard about this growing up from buddies and have wanted to try, but I never thought it was true and didnt want to risk a plant. Is this something I do in veg or wait til the girl just starts to flower? Ive heard of LST but cant think of a way to keep branches bent with nothing to tie onto like a pot.

I heard about this growing up from buddies and have wanted to try, but I never thought it was true and didnt want to risk a plant. Is this something I do in veg or wait til the girl just starts to flower? Ive heard of LST but cant think of a way to keep branches bent with nothing to tie onto like a pot.
I think most folk advise to supercrop after stretching and ideally before the major flowering growth. But as @JimJonesJr says, necessity may mean you do it at any time. For my own grows where I am height limited, next time I will probably supercrop at and during stretching to slow down the branch growth.

For LST and bending a plant over, how about stick a tent peg or similar into the ground tie the plant down to that, or tie it to a brick on the ground to keep it weighed down? Someone in my area grew a 12 foot plant a few years ago that wasn't noticed by the neighbors because he trained it bent over so it's main stem grew 12 feet along the ground.

They respond the same in veg stage. They respond with growth if they are stressed. I dunno the science of why but it works. Try it on a lower branch about a week into flowering. Use your finger to crush about an inch and bend it down a little. It should be able to still support itself. Then watch it burst with growth. LST is similar to this because it stresses the plant but the method doesn't damage.
In a scrog grow I do this all the time training branches. I've used it outdoors to keep plants low.
Try tying over one and leave the other for that cola your want..lol.Just get creative. Find something to drive into the ground and tie one over. You don't need to crush her to do that unless you think it may break. Just that little bit of stress helps. Your side branches will reach for the sky. Let them grow out. Drive another stake and pull them down too. Ya don't need a pot rim. Just doing that while your in veg will let you see the heavy branching it will produce.

I think most folk advise to supercrop after stretching and ideally before the major flowering growth. But as @JimJonesJr says, necessity may mean you do it at any time. For my own grows where I am height limited, next time I will probably supercrop at and during stretching to slow down the branch growth.

For LST and bending a plant over, how about stick a tent peg or similar into the ground tie the plant down to that, or tie it to a brick on the ground to keep it weighed down? Someone in my area grew a 12 foot plant a few years ago that wasn't noticed by the neighbors because he trained it bent over so it's main stem grew 12 feet along the ground.
Good stuff. I should have read yours before I answered below..lol. 12ft low to the ground is awesome. I'd like to see a pic of that grow. All that side growth and a nice one on top.

I have successfully tied (LST) back to the base of the plant. Depending on height, be sure not to attach too close to the tip you want to tie. Ideally, the sun will pull the area revealed back to vertical. All side branches in the bend should/will also start growing vertically. I usually release around 4 weeks into flower and they stay for the most part.

Without checking the trichomes and watching them mature, there is little way of knowing when fully mature. A loup is good. I prefer a clean close-up picture/photo. You can then zoom in and see the trichomes.

I like Blue Dream - watching. Looks like you are ready for success.

Attachments

• DSC023198.JPG
    DSC023198.JPG
    434.6 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC023296.JPG
    DSC023296.JPG
    655.3 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC0231811.JPG
    DSC0231811.JPG
    531.6 KB · Views: 63
I have successfully tied (LST) back to the base of the plant. Depending on height, be sure not to attach too close to the tip you want to tie. Ideally, the sun will pull the area revealed back to vertical. All side branches in the bend should/will also start growing vertically. I usually release around 4 weeks into flower and they stay for the most part.

Without checking the trichomes and watching them mature, there is little way of knowing when fully mature. A loup is good. I prefer a clean close-up picture/photo. You can then zoom in and see the trichomes.

I like Blue Dream - watching. Looks like you are ready for success.
Them look great. I like your style stinker.

Thank you. Those pics were from 2015, the journal link is in my signature. Didn't mean to hijack thread with pics, but wanted to show examples tying back.

Thank you. Those pics were from 2015, the journal link is in my signature. Didn't mean to hijack thread with pics, but wanted to show examples tying back.
Dont worry, I appreciate the example pictures. I did do this today to my girl and was wondering if its acceptable for the LST, not sure if its proper etiquette for branches to be laying on the ground . If not, I will try to replicate what @stinker has done.

20200731_134232.jpg 20200731_134216.jpg 20200731_134207.jpg

Ideally you don't want to have branches laying on the ground but it your case those branches would grow up and off from the ground quite quickly I'd think.
However, the main point in suggesting LST for you, was your comment on not wanting to exceed the height of your wall, and for that case, you could probably just look at doing a single LST to the main stem, not at the very tip but somewhere perhaps a third from the top that you can bend it over a bit (to where the plant comfortable allows you to do so) and secure to a peg in the ground, then as that main stem grows further and attempts to grow vertical again, you again LST from a little higher up and secure that back to the peg in the ground, and so on, so over time the plant is trained to grow leaning over and hopefully that way it remains below the height of the wall.

So if I understand you correctly... are you suggesting that instead of trying to bend each individual branch out, it would be more ideal to bend the main stalk of the plant?

The main potential benefit I see for you, is if your plant grows higher than your wall then carrying out LST like above. beginning at this point while your plant is still relatively small, means when it fully grown it will be comfortable before your height limit. The secondary benefit is LST'ed with a lean or bent over, will probably expose a greater amount of bud to the direct sun and then you get better bud growth!

What you have bent over now will reach up soon. Yeah, the main stem is what you want bent over. Then as the rest grow upward tie them down too. What you've done is fine but like mentioned typically you don't want them to the soil but hey it's all good. They will be grown out soon. As your main grows tie it down as well. Soon you'll have a huge bush with no stoppage of growth by topping.
Stungers shared some good info.

Back
Top Bottom