Outdoor Grow Gorilla Glue In Soil

CBD BudMan

1st of all, Happy New Year to all. :snowboating:

I'm planning an outdoor grow, in my backyard, of 6 Gorilla Glue plants for the 2021 grow season, somewhere in SoCal. My goal is to harvest absolutely "top shelf" buds in totally organic, living soil with no liquid nutes. I've done this with other strains with good success.

However, I'm trying to cut the learning curve way down this time. So, I have some Q's about nutrient requirements.

Basically, I'm asking: Is Gorilla Glue a heavy feeder, light feeder, or what? This is at the heart of everything that I'm asking here. And, of course, whether I have the right proportions of ingredients in my soil.

OK... Let me start with the soil mix(es) that I've used so far and what I've learned so far with other strains I've done this with. My hard fought search for great soil ended up with my recipe for "grow" Super Soil:

“Custom” (Grow) Super Soil

Per each
32 gal trash can:
  • 2 bags of “F.F.O.F” 1.5 cf each (or 17” - old soil)
  • 1 bag Worm Gold Plus 0.7 cf
  • 1 bag Bu’s Blend Compost 1 cf
  • 2 cups Steamed Bone Meal
  • 2 cups Fish Bone Meal
  • 1 cup Gypsum
  • 6 cups Blood Meal
  • 3 cups Green Sand
  • 5 cups Insect Frass (NOT used in 2020, using in 2021)
  • 2 cups Rock Phosphate
  • 3 cups grow Bat Guano
  • 3 cups of Sea Bird Guano (0-11-0) (for 10 gal & above)
  • 6 cups Kelp Meal
  • 5 cups Neem Meal
  • 1/3 cup Magnesium Sulphate
  • 1/4 cup Dolomite Lime
  • 1/2 cup Azomite
  • 1 TBS powdered Humic Acid
  • 5 Gal of Perlite
  • 3 Gal of R O Water (more as needed)
And then my "bloom" Super Soil:

“Custom” (Bloom) Super Soil

Per each
of 6, 32 gal trash cans:
  • 2 bags of “F.F.O.F” or “Base Soil” - each bag = 1.5 cf
  • 1 bag of “Worm Gold Plus” Earthworm Castings (0.7 cf each)
  • 1 bag of Bu’s Blend compost (1 cf)
  • 2.5 cups Bone Meal - steamed (3-15-0)
  • 2.5 cups Fish Bone Meal (3-16-0)
  • 3 cups of Blood Meal (12-0-0)
  • 1 Box of Sea Bird Guano (0-11-0)
  • 3 cups Rock Phosphate (0-3-0)
  • 8 cups Alfalfa Meal (2.5-0.5-2.5)
  • 5 cups Soybean Meal (7-1-2)
  • 6 cups Kelp Meal (1-0.1-2)
  • 3 cups Green Sand
  • 2 cups Bio-Fish (7-7-2)
  • 1 cup Gypsum
  • 5 cups Insect Frass (3-1-2)
  • 5 cups Neem Seed Meal (6-1-2)
  • 1/3 cup Epsom Salt (Mag. Sulf.)
  • 3 TBS Dolomite Lime
  • 1/2 cup Azomite
  • 5 Gal of Perlite (to be added on day of using)
I use trash cans to compost the soil for about 4 or 5 weeks. Then the grow Super Soil is used for each larger repot, as needed. when bloom season nears, I dig a large hole in my backyard and transplant each girl using the bloom Super Soil, composted the same way as the grow Super Soil. Once the girls are in the ground, I supplement with compost tea at least once a week and top dressing if they need it later in the season. But top dressing is minimal once I got this soil this rich.

I have used this method for a few years and I thought things were good. White Widow strain loves this mix; so does Critical Mass, Blue Berry CBD, CB Dutch Treat, among others.

And then there came my Purple Haze. 1st year, Purple Haze had VERY dark jade green leaves, purple stems and clawed leaves. First, I thought, oh this is just how this strain is supposed to be. Until the harvest proved me wrong. Lots of fox tailing and a little looser buds than they should be. I Searched for answers on the web and discovered a discussion somewhere out there that said Purple Haze is not a heavy feeder. When I found other posts that described the symptoms of nitrogen toxicity as the very same dark green leaves, purple stems and the clawing leaves, I was like: "What?!!!". So, last year I grew 2 more Purple Haze, one with the same soil mix as the year before and the other with a different mix... basically cutting down on the nitrogen. See below:

Cstm. Purple Haze (Bloom) Super Soil

Per each
32 gal trash can:
  • 1 bag “FFOF.” = 1.5 cf
  • 1 bag “FFStrawberry F.” = 1.5 cf
  • 1 bag “Worm Gold Plus” Earthworm Castings (0.7 cf)
  • 1 bag Bu’s Blend compost (1 cf)
  • 3 cups Bone Meal - steamed (3-15-0)
  • 3 cups Fish Bone Meal (3-16-0)
  • 2 cups Blood Meal (12-0-0)
  • 1 Box Sea Bird Guano (0-11-0)
  • 4 cups Soybean Meal (7-1-2)
  • 3 cups Green Sand
  • 1 cup Gypsum
  • 3 TBS Dolomite Lime
  • 1/2 cup Azomite
  • 3 Gal R O Water (more as needed)
  • 5 Gal Perlite (to be added on day of planting)
I was so amazed, and pleased, with the results. Not only were the buds so much denser, the entire plant looked completely different. Gone were those jade green leaves and purple stems. Plus this girl gave me almost 50% more buds. And they were so good!

So, all this finally leads me to why I'm here. Does anyone know what the do's and don't are around the soil for a Gorilla Glue outdoor grow? I am simply trying to not have to experiment year after year in a lost search to discover that secret Super Soil recipe.

Any highly experienced outdoor growers seeing this? I'm sure there are. I have learned that this site is SO full of highly skilled and knowledgeable growers. I can hardly wait to see who chimes in. I welcome all to give their 2 cents. Of all the sites that I've perused, you guys are the greatest... hands down. The only thing is that... I don't know if I'm in the correct area of this site. So, if this post needs to be placed elsewhere, let's do that too. I appreciate everyone and thank you. :yummy:

I grow indoor dwc . . with liquid nutes lol, so very different from you. But I have grown plenty of strains and I'd say on a feeding scale of 1-10 gorilla glue was a 6 in my experience. She was one of the easiest and didn't show any deficiencies or excesses throughout her grow. Maybe that'll give you a good base to start, she's not a heavy feeder but not the lightest either.

For what's it worth, my haze strain, Liberty Haze, I'd say is a 4/10 and the white widow I'm currently growing is proving to be a 8/10.

I grow indoor dwc . . with liquid nutes lol, so very different from you. But I have grown plenty of strains and I'd say on a feeding scale of 1-10 gorilla glue was a 6 in my experience. She was one of the easiest and didn't show any deficiencies or excesses throughout her grow. Maybe that'll give you a good base to start, she's not a heavy feeder but not the lightest either.

For what's it worth, my haze strain, Liberty Haze, I'd say is a 4/10 and the white widow I'm currently growing is proving to be a 8/10.
Thank you @TysonOG. Even though you're methods are different, you've given me some very useful info. Your inclusion of the other strains and how they differ validates my experiences with White Widow and Purple Haze. This helps a lot. Thanx so much. :Rasta:

Running G od OG outside as well. New to the strain. Any input welcome.
Hey there @Mbunaaddict. Yeah, I'm new to G G here too. All of my "girls" are new to me this season. In-fact, I've made so many changes to my grow routine that it seems like I'm either incredibly brave (like I know what I'm doing, :rofl:) or I'm incredibly foolish. I'm hoping for the former. Wish I could be more helpful.

Drop by anytime... :smokin:

I'm planning an outdoor grow, in my backyard, of 6 Gorilla Glue plants for the 2021 grow season, somewhere in SoCal. My goal is to harvest absolutely "top shelf" buds in totally organic, living soil with no liquid nutes. I've done this with other strains with good success.

However, I'm trying to cut the learning curve way down this time. So, I have some Q's about nutrient requirements.

Basically, I'm asking: Is Gorilla Glue a heavy feeder, light feeder, or what? This is at the heart of everything that I'm asking here. And, of course, whether I have the right proportions of ingredients in my soil.

OK... Let me start with the soil mix(es) that I've used so far and what I've learned so far with other strains I've done this with. My hard fought search for great soil ended up with my recipe for "grow" Super Soil:

Per each
32 gal trash can:
  • 2 cups Fish Bone Meal
  • 1 cup Gypsum
  • 6 cups Blood Meal
  • 3 cups Green Sand
  • 2 cups Rock Phosphate
  • 3 cups grow Bat Guano
  • 6 cups Kelp Meal
  • 5 cups Neem Meal
  • 1/4 cup Dolomite Lime
  • 1/2 cup Azomite
  • 5 Gal of Perlite

Per each
of 6, 32 gal trash cans:
  • 3 cups Green Sand
  • 1 cup Gypsum
  • 3 TBS Dolomite Lime
  • 1/2 cup Azomite
I use trash cans to compost the soil for about 4 or 5 weeks. Then the grow Super Soil is used for each larger repot, as needed. when bloom season nears, I dig a large hole in my backyard and transplant each girl using the bloom Super Soil, composted the same way as the grow Super Soil. Once the girls are in the ground, I supplement with compost tea at least once a week and top dressing if they need it later in the season. But top dressing is minimal once I got this soil this rich.

I have used this method for a few years and I thought things were good. White Widow strain loves this mix; so does Critical Mass, Blue Berry CBD, CB Dutch Treat, among others.

And then there came my Purple Haze. 1st year, Purple Haze had VERY dark jade green leaves, purple stems and clawed leaves. First, I thought, oh this is just how this strain is supposed to be. Until the harvest proved me wrong. Lots of fox tailing and a little looser buds than they should be. I Searched for answers on the web and discovered a discussion somewhere out there that said Purple Haze is not a heavy feeder. When I found other posts that described the symptoms of nitrogen toxicity as the very same dark green leaves, purple stems and the clawing leaves, I was like: "What?!!!". So, last year I grew 2 more Purple Haze, one with the same soil mix as the year before and the other with a different mix... basically cutting down on the nitrogen. See below:

Per each
32 gal trash can:
  • 1 bag “FFOF.” = 1.5 cf
  • 3 cups Green Sand
  • 1 cup Gypsum
  • 3 TBS Dolomite Lime
  • 1/2 cup Azomite
I was so amazed, and pleased, with the results. Not only were the buds so much denser, the entire plant looked completely different. Gone were those jade green leaves and purple stems. Plus this girl gave me almost 50% more buds. And they were so good!

So, all this finally leads me to why I'm here. Does anyone know what the do's and don't are around the soil for a Gorilla Glue outdoor grow? I am simply trying to not have to experiment year after year in a lost search to discover that secret Super Soil recipe.

Any highly experienced outdoor growers seeing this? I'm sure there are. I have learned that this site is SO full of highly skilled and knowledgeable growers. I can hardly wait to see who chimes in. I welcome all to give their 2 cents. Of all the sites that I've perused, you guys are the greatest... hands down. The only thing is that... I don't know if I'm in the correct area of this site. So, if this post needs to be placed elsewhere, let's do that too. I appreciate everyone and thank you. :yummy:
Sounds super cool can’t wait to see your Gorilla Glue I’m growing a few of them

Sounds super cool can’t wait to see your Gorilla Glue I’m growing a few of them
Yeah, they're coming along pretty good. This early in the season always seems slow to me. I'm pretty swamped with other projects and obligations, but I'll have more pics up over the coming weekend or thereabouts.

Until then... :smokin:

Per each
32 gal trash can:
  • 2 cups Fish Bone Meal
  • 1 cup Gypsum
  • 6 cups Blood Meal
  • 3 cups Green Sand
  • 2 cups Rock Phosphate
  • 3 cups grow Bat Guano
  • 6 cups Kelp Meal
  • 5 cups Neem Meal
  • 1/4 cup Dolomite Lime
  • 1/2 cup Azomite
  • 5 Gal of Perlite

Per each
of 6, 32 gal trash cans:
  • 3 cups Green Sand
  • 1 cup Gypsum
  • 3 TBS Dolomite Lime
  • 1/2 cup Azomite

Per each
32 gal trash can:
  • 1 bag “FFOF.” = 1.5 cf
  • 3 cups Green Sand
  • 1 cup Gypsum
  • 3 TBS Dolomite Lime
  • 1/2 cup Azomite

Per each
32 gal trash can:
  • 2 cups Fish Bone Meal
  • 1 cup Gypsum
  • 6 cups Blood Meal
  • 3 cups Green Sand
  • 2 cups Rock Phosphate
  • 3 cups grow Bat Guano
  • 6 cups Kelp Meal
  • 5 cups Neem Meal
  • 1/4 cup Dolomite Lime
  • 1/2 cup Azomite
  • 5 Gal of Perlite

Per each
of 6, 32 gal trash cans:
  • 3 cups Green Sand
  • 1 cup Gypsum
  • 3 TBS Dolomite Lime
  • 1/2 cup Azomite

Per each
32 gal trash can:
  • 1 bag “FFOF.” = 1.5 cf
  • 3 cups Green Sand
  • 1 cup Gypsum
  • 3 TBS Dolomite Lime
  • 1/2 cup Azomite

Good afternoon, Mr. CBDbud,

I was reading this forum and found myself in a similar situation. I understand that this is an old post, so hopefully you can answer your original question.

I recently started to grow GG, and now my plant seems malnourished, has browning tips, and is forming holes in the leaves.

My problem? I have no idea where to start, but I know that I need a proper growing medium (hopefully one that I can eventually transplant outside). I would also like to understand which fertilizer brands you trust (as I am a beginner and am not available to spend an extended amount of time learning to create my own).

I'm sorry for being a nuisance but this is my first time and I'd genuinely take any advice/help given( If you watched any videos/etc. to prep you, please send those my way).

Sincerely,
SomeoneWhosNew

Good afternoon, Mr. CBDbud,

I was reading this forum and found myself in a similar situation. I understand that this is an old post, so hopefully you can answer your original question.

I recently started to grow GG, and now my plant seems malnourished, has browning tips, and is forming holes in the leaves.

My problem? I have no idea where to start, but I know that I need a proper growing medium (hopefully one that I can eventually transplant outside). I would also like to understand which fertilizer brands you trust (as I am a beginner and am not available to spend an extended amount of time learning to create my own).

I'm sorry for being a nuisance but this is my first time and I'd genuinely take any advice/help given( If you watched any videos/etc. to prep you, please send those my way).

Sincerely,
SomeoneWhosNew
Hello @SomeoneWhosNew ,

1st of all, you are NOT a nuisance, this is why 420Mag is here... to help people grow.

2nd, I'm not always the best at diagnosing. It would be far more helpful if you post a new thread and specifically ask for help there, as you did here with me in my grow journal.

Once you're logged in, look at the top left of your browser... U should see "420 Forums", click on that & scroll down to "New Posts" and click. On the resulting page, click on "Post Thread" in the upper right corner, scroll down to The Grow Room and click on the most relevant thing you see for your situation. Title properly, and type your questions... Tip: It's always best to provide all info on the grow environment. Things like: Indoor/outdoor grow; what kind of soil/medium; and everything you've done and feed to your plants so far. And pictures are very important. Please be sure to include tags where indicated as this helps the right people to find you so they can help you. Very important.

Hope this helps... :smokin:

@SomeoneWhosNew, welcome to 420. as @CBDbud said, we're here to assist when we can.
Just so happens I"m growing GG and would be happy to share with you my technique.
I grow outdoor in 5 gal fabric pots. My medium is Roots Organics Formula 707.
To each bag of Roots Organic, I've added:
vermiculite @ 30% (vermiculite is for water retention) and perlite @ 25 % (perlite for drainage/aeration).
I feed with Mega Crop along with CalMag and Recharge as additives.
I usually feed every 3rd day.
Before feeding, I wet the soil of each plant by watering them to runoff.
A half hour or so later I feed each plant a gallon of Mega Crop with the CalMag and Recharge mixture.
I feed by pouring the liquid into the soil slowly around the outward perimeter of the pot, this makes the plants roots reach for the food and by wetting the soil the food doesn't just run off, it stays in the soil.

I trust this will help a little.

Good luck with your grow, stay in touch and don't forget to call.

Hey there @SomeoneWhosNew , I just discovered that I neglected to answer one of your questions:
I would also like to understand which fertilizer brands you trust (as I am a beginner and am not available to spend an extended amount of time learning to create my own).
After much trial and error, I now rely on GeoFlora Nutrients as they are the simplest by far. No PHing, no mixing, no other hassles. You can even use tap water if you want to. Here's a link to the GeoFlora Nutrients thread with a very long discussion from many people spanning the globe: GeoFlora Nutrients Discussion Thread

Hello @SomeoneWhosNew ,

1st of all, you are NOT a nuisance, this is why 420Mag is here... to help people grow.

2nd, I'm not always the best at diagnosing. It would be far more helpful if you post a new thread and specifically ask for help there, as you did here with me in my grow journal.

Once you're logged in, look at the top left of your browser... U should see "420 Forums", click on that & scroll down to "New Posts" and click. On the resulting page, click on "Post Thread" in the upper right corner, scroll down to The Grow Room and click on the most relevant thing you see for your situation. Title properly, and type your questions... Tip: It's always best to provide all info on the grow environment. Things like: Indoor/outdoor grow; what kind of soil/medium; and everything you've done and feed to your plants so far. And pictures are very important. Please be sure to include tags where indicated as this helps the right people to find you so they can help you. Very important.

Thank you so much for the welcoming vibe; it's greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, I have neglected my seedling for far too long, and it appears it may not recover (very rough shape). Again, thank you for informing me on how the forum works. Would you recommend I post about my seedlings condition? (Your personal judgement; I think it has a day or two.)

Edit: I just switch from terrible soil to fox farm original, with a 40% perlite mixture. Again sorry for cramming up your journal I will make a post but I'm pretty sure I should just start fresh(no hope).

Also can you not delete posted threads?(The one below was an accident).

4C7C271D-1F4A-49F5-96D5-B835B0AA8180.jpeg
A96062B5-A5AD-4A43-B1B4-6BF3DCA58752.png

@SomeoneWhosNew, welcome to 420. as @CBDbud said, we're here to assist when we can.
Just so happens I"m growing GG and would be happy to share with you my technique.
I grow outdoor in 5 gal fabric pots. My medium is Roots Organics Formula 707.
To each bag of Roots Organic, I've added:
vermiculite @ 30% (vermiculite is for water retention) and perlite @ 25 % (perlite for drainage/aeration).
I feed with Mega Crop along with CalMag and Recharge as additives.
I usually feed every 3rd day.
Before feeding, I wet the soil of each plant by watering them to runoff.
A half hour or so later I feed each plant a gallon of Mega Crop with the CalMag and Recharge mixture.
I feed by pouring the liquid into the soil slowly around the outward perimeter of the pot, this makes the plants roots reach for the food and by wetting the soil the food doesn't just run off, it stays in the soil.

I trust this will help a little.

Good luck with your grow, stay in touch and don't forget to call.
THANK YOU SO MUCH. Again, I started looking for answers way too late IMO, as such I'm pretty sure this attempt will come to a close. However, I very much appreciated the warm welcome this community offers. I will look into finding a clone so I can return promptly at the same progress I left off hopefully. Seriously, thank you so much @garybo. I will replicate your process in near future attempts.

Edit: @CBDbud I didn't want to leave anymore clutter on your thread(as such I'm responding here). I appreciate you greatly, I will check out the GeoFlora thread momentarily. Personally I believe pH'ing is my problem(Or shitty soil causing blockage of oxygen).

Thank you so much for the welcoming vibe; it's greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, I have neglected my seedling for far too long, and it appears it may not recover (very rough shape). Again, thank you for informing me on how the forum works. Would you recommend I post about my seedlings condition? (Your personal judgement; I think it has a day or two.)
Yes, I do recommend that you start your own thread, as this is the best way to get the help you're looking for. Journals are more like a production or something, chronicling the events in a grow.
Edit: I just switch from terrible soil to fox farm original, with a 40% perlite mixture. Again sorry for cramming up your journal I will make a post but I'm pretty sure I should just start fresh(no hope).

Also can you not delete posted threads?(The one below was an accident).
No, I cannot.
Tag me when you start your new thread so I can follow along. Tagging is typing the person's Name. I'm tagging you like this: @SomeoneWhosNew . So type the "@" followed by the various characters in the Name. As you type, you'll see a list pop up. Click on the proper one and type the space bar and continue with what you're saying.

I grew GG last year as 1/3 of my crop is all I will say and once in the soil they ate what mother earth supplied as well as water, so way different than what you are doing. Gorilla grow for sure. The GG harvest was a bit smaller than Lemon Kush but considerably more than a Haze that I also had. All I can do is laugh when reading your dirt recipe, I am not mocking you, I have friends that do that stuff. Why make it so complicated? I dig a hole in a corn field and plug it in, walk away, come back to harvest. Best of luck.

I grew GG last year as 1/3 of my crop is all I will say and once in the soil they ate what mother earth supplied as well as water, so way different than what you are doing. Gorilla grow for sure. The GG harvest was a bit smaller than Lemon Kush but considerably more than a Haze that I also had. All I can do is laugh when reading your dirt recipe, I am not mocking you, I have friends that do that stuff. Why make it so complicated? I dig a hole in a corn field and plug it in, walk away, come back to harvest. Best of luck.
Thank you for "not mocking" me. Now I'm "not mocking" you when I say: This thread is very old and outdated. Please stop using old and outdated threads to brag about what you do. I use GeoFlora. It's simple as dirt! Top dress every 2 weeks and water with tap water. Done! :smokin:

Back
Top Bottom