Outdoor Grow Plants in ground: How much time till I can't move them?

langmaj

My plants have been in the ground for a few days and are doing just fine. However, there is a chance I might need to move them in several weeks. What are the risks associated with this? And how long till the risk is just to high to move them to a different location? If I did it in a month would I still be okay?

Please help this issue has vexed me to no end, and I was not planing on the possibility of moving them in the first place.

much love thank you,

Kristen

Move them now. The longer you wait the wider and deeper the roots get. if you wait you'll probably destroy a lot of the roots and stunt her real bad, maybe even hermi her

Okay thanks man - its just a tough bind at the moment but it sounds like a no option scenario - like if I do it in 4 weeks or so I risk killing them or seriously impacting my yield.

You can move your plant whenever you want. Just dig deep with a shovel, and then put it in a pot big enough to fit the roots. I never really understood people being afraid it's gonna die when you repot it or something. Lack of gardening experience I guess :) It's just a plant for f...k sake.

I agree 100% with Peyton. He's absolutely right.

My suggestion would be use 5 gallon buckets, or bigger if possible, and keep them outside, they'll just be easier to move. Depending on how far you have to move them, you can buy much larger planters on wheels as well.

Disturbing the soil can damage roots, which can lead to stunted growth and hermi as peyton said, but there's also risk that the damaged roots can become infected. And possibly a few other risks that I haven't learned yet.

Okay thanks guys really helps... but I don't get it conradino23 says that it does not matter as long as you have a big enough pot, or dig a wide enough whole? Is there truth to this?

You can, but it's risky to the root system. And when the dirt starts to shake out roots will move and possibly break. Then do you grab it and move by stem to keep it upright during transplant? A lot of risk and ifs in there. But ultimately it's your plant, do what you want.

Okay thanks guys really helps... but I don't get it conradino23 says that it does not matter as long as you have a big enough pot, or dig a wide enough whole? Is there truth to this?

It's 100% true. But there's 1 problem.

The longer it grows outside you have less and less of an idea of how deep, and how wide the roots spread.

I looked at my roots after a grow, and there were some random roots all over the place. So to know where the roots will be is impossible, unless you have x-ray vision. That's why I prefer to err on the side of caution.

yeah, move them as soon as you can if you really want to relocate them... make sure to dig deep and dig around it enough so you don't severe any roots and stress it out.

Back
Top Bottom