Outdoor Organic Balcony Stealth Quadlining: White Widow/Gorgonzola

I'd say Sensi's Mexican Sativa would qualify as a "low odor" strain.
I will definitely be growing that one, I'm gee'd up and looking forward to it! But as for what else, I haven't decided yet as we're still a few weeks away here from germinating for outdoors. Having previously had bad luck with orders I have become inspired to try again, last night I put an order in with Weedseedsexpress for which I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for. I'm sharing it with my brother so if all good it'll be 3 seeds apiece of each strain, and that should be good enough to get an idea of them, as while I have enjoyed weed for many years, I mostly never known what strain I was toking on! :hookah:

... last night I put an order in with Weedseedsexpress for which I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for.
... as while I have enjoyed weed for many years, I mostly never known what strain I was toking on! :hookah:

Which strain did you finally settle on from Weedseedexpress?

I never really got down into the weeds on which strain it was until I started getting interested in growing.

Which strain did you finally settle on from Weedseedexpress?
WSE limit orders to 25 seeds (an EU regulation they follow), so after a process of elimination I choose 2 high THC strains, 2 medium THC/legendary strains, and 1 CBD auto which I chose because I feel I can only grow a max of 3 photos but I would like to try the effect of a high CBD and I thought if I can have the CBD plant flowering before the photos then there will be less dank smell happening all at once, plus this one is stated to still yield around 250g

So I chose;

Godfather OG 30%
Bruce Banner 27%
Grand Daddy Purple 23%
Girl Scout Cookies 23%
CBD Express auto 21% CBD

I've heard of most of those. So 23% THC is now considered medium? Lol.

Mostly those are indica strains, aren't they?

That Godfather at 30% is going to be something to remember... or try to. :high-five:

I've heard of most of those. So 23% THC is now considered medium? Lol. That Godfather at 30% is going to be something to remember... or try to. :high-five:
Haha, that does seem flippant saying it like that. But without a labtest I have no real idea as to what the strength of the AMS derived buds are that I am currently vaping. I read on a study in Canada of something like 300 strains where the average was about 14-15%, I was a bit surprised at that, I was expecting it to be somewhere around perhaps 20%. So it made me wonder if what I am currently smoking is also around 14-15%.

I really need to test out some other strains to establish a sort of yard stick of what potency it is that I am smoking. This next grow will hopefully help because the seed strains come from other different breeders. I will kick off with Mexican Sativa, and if this order comes in I will also sprout a Godfather OG to use as an upper benchmark to compare with. And as a third photo plant to grow it would make sense to sprout one on my 420 strains from last year that arrived too late to germinate, maybe Gold Leaf or Chronic Widow, that would give me 3 different sourced breeder strains to compare their potencies with the AMS derived strains that my current buds are from.

Altho for a 3rd strain I would also be tempted with the Grand Daddy Purple. I don't know, available space and the necessary stealth requirements are limiting factors. My brother has less limits imposed on his available garden space so he'll be looking to try one of everything (we shared the orders so we each have either 2 or 3 seeds of the 420 strains and if successful the same with the WSE strains) so whatever I don't sprout this year he will, and then hopefully then I'll be able to try some of his to compare the rest of the strains. That would give me a good idea then of what the relative potencies of the different strains and how close they are to one another.

I know I liked Mexican Sativa. Has a nice cerebral effect, with a bit of body. Sensi rates it at 18%, but who knows, really? I thought 18% was pretty high up there, but the breeders continue to refine and select. By the above post, 18% isn't even considered a medium anymore!

I was surprized you picked so many indica-leaning strains, having pegged you as a sativa man.

I know I liked Mexican Sativa. Has a nice cerebral effect, with a bit of body. Sensi rates it at 18%, but who knows, really? I thought 18% was pretty high up there, but the breeders continue to refine and select. By the above post, 18% isn't even considered a medium anymore!

I was surprized you picked so many indica-leaning strains, having pegged you as a sativa man.
Well I thought 18 - 22% was pretty good too, but when I started browsing thru WSE's site I couldn't help noting and wondering about the strains that topped out on their THC list, because they seemed to have considerably more (claimed) potency than the strains I had. I really like what I have read about the effect of Sativa strains. But so far I have only knowingly tried one claimed Sativa dominant strain (AMS:Gorgonzola 70% Sativa), and this year I am smoking the bud off the resulting cross of that with AMS:White Widow (the WG). I had some fantastic wild weed in Nepal and Thailand in the 1980's which I guess would have been Sativa but it was so long ago I only remember that they were excellent. So I am really looking forward to the known Sativa dominance of the Mexican Sativa, especially as it comes recommended! I am definitely interested in the Sativa strains and blends too, and if possible I'd like to have a go at reversing the Mexican Sativa to try and make some crosses with the Indica heavy strains.

So yes those strains I have chosen are quite Indica dominant, and also 3 out of 4 have OG Kush parentage which I also noted but didn't intend the heavy OG weighting. But I chose them for alleged strength and to a lesser extent with GDP & GSC because they are also quite legendary strains in their own right and are found in the parentage of many other highly rated strains. GDP has been often mentioned for medicinal benefits too, as well as being a great smoke.

I'm also interested in other strains for their reputation and the acclaim that others give them, like Blue Dream, Green Crack, Chemdawg etc which are more Sativa dominant, but in WSE they were listed as lower in THC%. I eventually whittled down the list and ended up with a strong weighting on THC%. It was a really close call. But at the end of the day, if anything, I feel that I am getting somewhat tolerant of my current jarred buds and I have wondered, what if any difference I'd find with a higher THC% strain. Seeing 30% stated for the Godfather OG really wowed me for such a high number. However, I must say I don't believe THC% is the only thing at play, how else can we explain why those who have experienced many strains will often choose lower THC% as their favorites, but then there are also oldtimers who will say they don't care what strain they just prefer whatever is strongest! With a few hundred cannabinoids in our buds that are largely unknown and untested, who can really say yet what is best.

I'm sure if I had a few months to test out a 100 strains there is a good chance I'd end up with just 3 or 4 goto favorites that I'd be happy with 99% of the time, and if so I'd like to go straight to them now!

There are only so many receptors to be filled and once they are filled everything else is pissed out or stored in fatty tissue from what i understand.
That's a good point, but I feel it may be not so straight forward. I must say I have no academic expertise in that to be speak of. But yes, I can toke to a point where I get the peak experience and then any further toking doesn't seem to add much if anything to my high, which would fit with the idea that the receptors are all filled. However, when having the same bud as an edible, too much can really be a challenge as I found on recent fishing excursion with my brother, he thoughtfully had made some cannabutter with buds that I am familiar with (the WG), where the result of eating a bread bun spread with it rendered me with extreme cotton mouth and so blown away I could barely talk a sentence where I had to stop fishing because for half an hour I could only just sit there while I attempted to hold it together! I could never get that blown away on that same bud when vaping it!

The other thing I read recently, and I may be recounting this incorrectly, but some of those many many cannabinoids that exist in the buds we ingest/smoke/vape have different 'dominances' at the CB1 and CB2 receptor sites. Which if I understood correctly, CBD tends to be more dominant at the receptor sites than THC, so when having some strains their CBD component may 'grab' the receptor sites in favor of THC, thereby less THC of what is available is 'received' at the receptor sites. The mixture and weighting of all these cannabinoids must be unique like a fingerprint and I presume this gives the unique differences between strains even if the THC percentages are tested to be equal.

I remember being in Costa Rica in the 1980's when some surfers from California showed up with some of their weed they'd bought from home which we rated as even better than the local Costa Rican weed we were smoking. And then someone pulled out a bag they had, a Costa Rica sourced weed, and this weed had the result of completely rendering you from high back to sober. It was incredible, at the time we saw this as being no good obviously when you are after a high, but now when I think back, I wonder if it had a naturally high CBD which was booting the THC from the receptor sites. I don't know how to explain that.

And also, some posters on 420 have mentioned the occasional strain where they reckon there is no upper limit, the more they smoke the higher they get. I not sure what the definitive answer is. :hookah:

definitive answer is

From someone that's smoked for 30 plus years, variety is key. I still get relief with 15-20 % thc sativa and Indica dominant. I also only buy cbd dominant. To me, experiences will vary, it's all about variety mixing and matching. To ultimately create a perfect mix.
Actually, you can't really even buy much over 20% here. Sure lots of seed shops claim higher, also that would be perfect growing conditions. Which we outdoor growers rarely have.

I mean i have some skunk haze that us a 1:1 (cbd\thc 10%) I get just as wreaked as 22% godbud. Different stone, of course.

I love a great sativa high, it's creative, cerebral and let's you function throughout the day, through a nug of cbd in with it and you now have a whole new effect..
Of course that's me, results will vary.

Looks like some great strains Stunger can't wait to watch this winter.

Edit: grammar

That's a good point, but I feel it may be not so straight forward. I must say I have no academic expertise in that to be speak of. But yes, I can toke to a point where I get the peak experience and then any further toking doesn't seem to add much if anything to my high, which would fit with the idea that the receptors are all filled. However, when having the same bud as an edible, too much can really be a challenge as I found on recent fishing excursion with my brother, he thoughtfully had made some cannabutter with buds that I am familiar with (the WG), where the result of eating a bread bun spread with it rendered me with extreme cotton mouth and so blown away I could barely talk a sentence where I had to stop fishing because for half an hour I could only just sit there while I attempted to hold it together! I could never get that blown away on that same bud when vaping it!

... I not sure what the definitive answer is. :hookah:

Stunger your fishing expedition must have been a blast! First time I ate edibles was when my wife made cookies and while she ate 1/4 of a cookie, I just swallowed one whole. After dinner. That night, at about 3 am, I suddenly awoke totally stoned. It took a moment to figure out what had happened.

Yes, with edibles the effect is different, can be much stronger. The effect is to the whole body, including the peripheral nervous system. Smoking's effect is mainly in the central nervous system, including brain.

Your Costa Rica example offers yet another reason to have different strains on hand. If I vary the weed I'm using from day to day, the tolerance doesn't build up. If I try a strain I haven't used in a while, the effect is more intense.

I'm not sure what the definitive answer is, either, but there is something to Beantown's comment about receptors filling up.

I am pleased to report that my seed order has come thru. Wow, I am rapt with that! These past few years I have been so accustomed to failed orders and good money going down the drain of prohibition stupidity, that it was really putting me off throwing away more. But I was lifted out of the drain of 'failed orders depression' by the inspiring and joyful posts of @syenite and @Bionic Chronic NZ sharing their successes - thanks guys!

And thanks to @Weedseedsexpress! I can say it was a dream to deal with them, and the order reached me in under 2 weeks. If there is one thing that is inspirational for ordering seeds, it is getting a successful delivery!
:ganjamon:

S'wonderful... that you got the seeds you ordered! This coming year is going to be a doozey! I can't wait to sit on the sidelines and watch Stunger's grow through veg and flowering, it is always fun and inspiring!

I am pleased to report that my seed order has come thru. Wow, I am rapt with that! These past few years I have been so accustomed to failed orders and good money going down the drain of prohibition stupidity, that it was really putting me off throwing away more. But I was lifted out of the drain of 'failed orders depression' by the inspiring and joyful posts of @syenite and @Bionic Chronic NZ sharing their successes - thanks guys!

And thanks to @Weedseedsexpress! I can say it was a dream to deal with them, and the order reached me in under 2 weeks. If there is one thing that is inspirational for ordering seeds, it is getting a successful delivery!
:ganjamon:

Glad to hear they made it.

Back
Top Bottom