Outdoor photoperiod manipulation

Good afternoon @donkeyjunk hope you are well my friend.
It's a common practice in sexing reg's.
They go into flower thereby showing male or female.
By putting into a veg light cycle the flowering cycle is terminated, but not without effecting her.
She will go a bit wonky at first throwing single blade leaves.
And sprouting branches sometimes double the average volume.
Yes, I've done that before, but I don't like doing it.
So, what I do is different, with same results.

I will sprout three or four seeds. When they a meter tall I take ten clones offa each of them, and carefully label to each individual plant.
Then I put them into flower. If plant #1 is male, I destroy him ... and all his babies.
If plant #2 is female, I destroy her; and keep all her babies.
Repeat as many times as you have different genetics.

This is best used for indoor grow. As, it is pretty well known that outdoors - seeds do better.
If I wanna do a seed/outdoor grow, I just buy (or make) feminized seed.

Yes, I've done that before, but I don't like doing it.
So, what I do is different, with same results.

I will sprout three or four seeds. When they a meter tall I take ten clones offa each of them, and carefully label to each individual plant.
Then I put them into flower. If plant #1 is male, I destroy him ... and all his babies.
Repeat as many times as you have different genetics.

This is best used for indoor grow. As, it is pretty well known that outdoors - seeds do better.
If I wanna do a seed/outdoor grow, I just buy (or make) feminized seed.

Sounds good my friend.

Stay safe
Bill

Good plan. It is what I do so that I know which cuttings and mother plant to get rid of when a clone shows that it is a male.

I was curious when you wrote this......
Why do you get rid of the mother plant if it is female and just keep the cuttings?

Why do you get rid of the mother plant if it is female and just keep the cuttings?
Because she's already gone from veg to flower and switching her back again makes the plant get all wonkey. I don't like wonkey. I don't like plants that are the same genetic looking different. It really, really bothers my OCD.
I did it one time and sometimes had trouble sleeping at night.
Ever watch Monk? I'm not that bad ... unless I'm working with my girls.

So, I keep the cuttings to go in the room with her sister plants. Out of five, I usually end up with three females. Ten clones from each is exactly a half room for the smaller room of my operation.

Sometimes I will give flowering 'moms' away to someone who wants to finish the flower on a medium sized plant. But usually, I destroy her.

This year I started my seeds June 1st just so I could keep them small. (worked real well with the autos!!!!!)
So now I am just noticing, and have been watching for, the little white hairs. I will start the culling soon, but that got me to thinking that if I did what I did last year and start waaay early, let them show the sex, cull the males then let them reveg and then I could just keep cropping back to a manageable size and then let them take off at the right time - hopefully with a real good root system in place.

Back
Top Bottom