Outdoor Sativa 11 Weeks - First grow

Hi this is my First time round growing outdoor, i have always been into growing in a grow house with hydro but i had some space in the garden so i tried a Sativa from some bag seed to see how i would do.

The plant is now 11 weeks old and just under 2 weeks of flowering, I have bee feeding it a product called "Multi-feed" mostly through root feeding but i have also done some foliar feeding about 4 or 5 times also i watter once a day as in South Africa we have blazing sun that dries the soil in no time. the tree gets no light other than from the son.

I would like to ask is this tree up to size with it's age and also is there and advice that can better this grow?

:thanks:

P10802211.jpg
P10802221.jpg
P10802231.jpg
P10802241.jpg

Re: Outdoor Sativa 11 Weeks (First grow)

Welcome! Thank you for sharing this with us! Things look to be on par! :thumb:

One thing I would recommend so its easier for the viewer to see your pictures, try making sure the photos are in the correct and upright orientation prior to uploading, make sure you "Save" the file first, that way we don't have to bend our necks trying to see it. :)

Please keep us updated, or if your interested, start a grow journal for it! How to Make a Grow Journal

looks fine to me. it is displaying sativa traits in its shape. Looks like the light is changing for you, flowering is starting.

DN

Ya sorry bout that i only saw that after the photos was uploaded, goes to show you never to any techy stuff while baked...LOL!! :cheer:

Thanks for the feed back, i did think about a grow chart but i figured it was too late cant really remember what i did up to now it was more just a "shoot out of the hip" kind of thing, well i did take a few photos of it growing so i guess i will try to do some sort of chart?

Just one more question... i have read about flushing a plant and i see if you used any non organic nuts you have to flush to get a better tast and so on now i have always done this in the hydro and it is simple how to i flush this plant when it is planted directly in the ground or do i just move over to something organic like nitrosol for the rest of the plant's life? or does it not matter at all inside the ground? This might be a dumb question but i am worried i might have crap tasting bud ?

Well thanks for the Great forum all the info helps allot... :bravo:

depends - some nutes are clean and don't build up salts as bad. If you do 'water, water, feed' - you are already kind of flushing on a regular basis anyways. I water to get run off at least ever other 'water'. It did seem those that made solid soil fertilizers of manure, bat shit,fish crap, blocks of mag/cal, etc - always needed to be flushed for at least 10 days to 2 weeks - or you will taste it.

I did use the 'water, feed, water' method - this one feeds the plant more often. This one needs monitoring of the leaves to detect burning of overfert. I would also follow the directions by Technaflora - flush for two weeks.

If you want to reduce or eliminate flushing, try the 'water, water, feed' schedule. Make sure you get run off and do not let the pot sit in the run off

The grow chart you will get to know by instinct anyways, I had kept some journals, but now its all habit to keep a perpetual garden. Mine has been running continuous since January 2010. Having the same strain gives the grow a predictable nature.

DN

Thanks for the info DN this does make sense to Me but now in my case the plant is right in the ground no pot.... i know i should have gone with a pot but at the time i did not think it would get this big as it was a bag seed. i dug a hole in the garden about 20x20x20 inches and filed that up with some pre prepared soil i got from the local nursery then planted the seedling in that.... so now how will i be able to flush a whole flower bed in the garden?

yea I forgot myself - damn wake n bakes.

With the hole in the ground - if you properly mixed everything, it is decayed enough by the end of the season not to be very strong - the soil flushed right into the earth. If you mixed the hole too hot, the flushing is actually 'overwatering' and pushing out the nutes.

If you try a large pot - with wheels, you can try moving it into a tent or basement to start the flowering season early - and get TWO harvest in one summer ; )

DN

Thanks DN. I gave it nutes right up to now so i guess the soil will be full of it... my take was also to just cautiously over water for the last 4 weeks or so? I remember seeing this post on a forum once that said when you hack that bitch down you cut it right by the stump and leave it in a bucket of water in a dark room for 24 to 48 hrs as this will flush the plant...would you say this makes any sense?

I don't regularly see growers doing that.

you can try this - pull a large sun leaf off the plant, a nice juicy one - near the middle.
Break the stem of the sun leaf and taste the juice.

The word was, if it tastes bitter and metallic - you need to flush. What you feed or water the plant usually takes 2- 3days to reach inside the plant. If the soil was properly graded, and you moderated the feed and watering, adequate watering - you should be fine with watering no nutes for the last 2 weeks. I use Sugar daddy during the flush, others use Molasses. To me, the sugar daddy and molasses provide cheap energy to the plant to keep growing while you take away its nutrients. It can also make the plant taste sweeter I suppose.

Experience will tell - the last harvest results will tell you if you need to do more flushing next time. Everyone has their own soil mixes and nutes.

DN

Thanks for all the help DN ... i went out and tasted the sap, it does taste maybe a bit bitter but mostly it tastes very natural so i guess i should be fine then. well any way i will go out and get organic nutes and move to only water in the last 2 weeks just to keep it on the safe side maybe give some molasses (does the sugar in the molasses not make for a harsh smoke or does it all come out during curing?) if i see it needs more...

molasses also has mag/cal in it - that helps the production of the plant's oils and smells.

I hope to try a outdoor grow this year with my sativa, see how it goes ; )

DN

cool that is nice to know i will use it most def if it can improve the smell i really want this weed to be at least DANKish ....outdoor is nice compared to indoor much less that can go ape-shit, pests are just a bitch outside!!! best off luck when you try please share pics!!!

This early in the year, the only thing have to worry about is the cucumber beetle outdoors. BT-k is super cheap and takes care of that, spray is once every 2 weeks and it handles them (they eat the leaf). Make sure to weed around your plants too. Later in the season, spinosad works if your stuck on organic. I'm not sure if it stops spider mites because I used some hardcore stuff you can't buy to handle them before they got into my grow. But if you leave the predators on your plants, the spinosad is pretty good by itself. Those damn red ants are the worst. They pop up everywhere- the way I found to rid them was using Ortho right on all the open hills as they pop up. You have to be on top of it or you can lose plants. I seen a plant die to termites too. It was funny one day healthy as a horse, the next day it looked like the chupacabras sucked out all it's life, was in full droop and at the base was a termite colony that sprung up.

HI Bothteams, thanks for the reply... see the thing is I am in South Africa and over here winter is setting in i am well into the flower stage and as a result pests are a bitch but i seem to have it in control since I went out and got some organic pesticide is is mostly made up of garlic and some other organic shizzz.

@DN... so it is like this i went out and got 2 kinds of 100% organic nutes the first is called Nitrosol ( Nitrosol Organic Plant Food and Fertiliser - Nitrosol Natural Organic Plant Food ) this is a mixture of bonemeal and blood i see it does have some growth stimulants but the guy assured it is 100% organic, and the other on is Sudden impact ( Neutrog Fertilisers - Sudden Impact for Roses ) this comes in pellet format and is also 100% organic... the guy at the store said that this works well with weed so i will just see. Hopefully this switch to organic nutes was in time and will help with the need to not flush, i still think i will move over to just water for say the last two or so weeks just to play it safe.

Well whatever I learn from this grow will help to see if that flush is needed and also help to get a system going to monitor the flush time needed so for each new grow i should narrow it down, i really wanna see if i can get the growing directly in the soil down as i have shit loads of space in the garden plus it is much less effort compared to indoor because the plant is so resilient and strong, I have taken 3 clones from this tree just before flower stage and put them into my indoor hydro set-up and they seem to to better than most of the "indoor" strains i have grown in the hydro so the outdoor plant because of its size could be a good place to get clones i think!

Thanks for all the help

oh ps: i also went in search of molasses but there seems to be SOOO many types available in all kinds of thickness and shades that i don't really know what to get i am just shit scared i get one and it is not right and it fux the plant up....is there any type you would recommend or are they all the same?

How's this big lady coming along? About the molasses, if your going to get it, it has to be unsulphured molasses, otherwise yeah it could cause problems, Best not to fix something that isn't broke. I'd just incorporate a bat guano tea that is slightly Phosphorous dominated (IE: 4-5-4), and also top dress the first 2 inches of soil with some of the solids as well. Anyway looking great, excited to see this thing flower out! :cheer:

How's this big lady coming along? About the molasses, if your going to get it, it has to be unsulphured molasses, otherwise yeah it could cause problems, Best not to fix something that isn't broke. I'd just incorporate a bat guano tea that is slightly Phosphorous dominated (IE: 4-5-4), and also top dress the first 2 inches of soil with some of the solids as well. Anyway looking great, excited to see this thing flower out! :cheer:

Thanks for the reply..... Lady is coming along nice i have started a grow journal with new photos, she is about 3 weeks into flower now and buds are forming well. Thanks for the word on the molasses i was wondering what the right type might be, as for the bat dung it is very hard to find in South Africa is there maybe an alternative i can use?

Thanks for commenting on the plant and please do check my journal for latest updates i think she is gunna be a whopper!

Outdoor Sativa Grown In The Ground First Outdoor Grow

Happy grow and smoke!!

:420:

To Any one that is interested I started a Grow Journal for this grow please go and check it out i have added lots of new photos and a bit more info on the grow... i will also update till the day i smoke the first bud!!

Please check it out and if you rate it guud don't forget to click on the Star on the bottom of the post to give me some rep please!

Outdoor Sativa Grown In The Ground First Outdoor Grow

Thanks for your time and happy grow and smoke!!

:420: :cheer: :420:

Back
Top Bottom