Outdoor set-up help!

Kwsmoke

I've been thinking about starting an outdoor grow for next year but I have a few questions about prep.

I know that I should dig a hole 3' wide x 3' deep for each plant, but can I just amend the native soil and reuse it? I plan on having two seperate spots with around 25 plants at each one; so buying pre-bagged soil would begin to get really expensive, really quickly.

I live in a Southern part of the United States, the weather can get hot (100+) but it wont freeze until after November. I plan on starting the seeds indoors and keeping them in there until it starts to warm up around March.

There is a creek and stream located near both of the spots I have chosen, what can I do to irrigate the water so it could be useful to my grow? Water will be my biggest issue, what are the best ways to naturally irrigate an area?

Thats about it, I hope someone can help!

That's quite an operation you're planning there mate.

I would just dig up the ground and amend the soil like you said. No point wasting money on potting mix etc if there's a chance your crop may get ripped. It sounds like you've chosen an ideal spot. Have you checked to make sure it's an area regularly unvisited by humans?

Pests and wildlife will be another thing to watch out for.

There are ways to rig up an irrigation line so your plants have a steady supply of fresh water. There are plenty of experienced outdoor growers on here that should be able to fill you in.

Good luck!

not sure how much noise is an issue, but you can always damn the creek a couple times and run a bilge pump up to a holding tank buried in the ground. then vertical feed drip lines to the plants.

i just rototil the ground and mix my own soils into it when planting in ground.

What up DVS, thanks for stopping by. Noise isn't really an issue but I'd rather stay quiet if i can. I have been thinking about using a bilge pump, but i dont really know what they cost or where to buy one. Not only that, but the creek isn't too far from the site... maybe like 100 yards or less. So i'm thinking that manual watering with a bucket that i'll hide at the site.

That's quite an operation you're planning there mate.

I would just dig up the ground and amend the soil like you said. No point wasting money on potting mix etc if there's a chance your crop may get ripped. It sounds like you've chosen an ideal spot. Have you checked to make sure it's an area regularly unvisited by humans?

Pests and wildlife will be another thing to watch out for.

There are ways to rig up an irrigation line so your plants have a steady supply of fresh water. There are plenty of experienced outdoor growers on here that should be able to fill you in.

Good luck!

whats up stoney, thanks for the input! Ok cool, I hate spending money on soil outdoors it just doesn't make any sense. I'd say there's a slim chance of anyone stumbling apon my site... it's about 2 miles away form any human activity. Local wildlife includes rabbits, deer, squirels, coyote, and random ass birds. No slugs or snails, so thats a plus.

I'll post some pictures of the site later.

Peace dudes

Wh@t's up Kwsomke! I would @ssume you could find @ bilge pump @t @ny loc@l m@rin@, m@ybe find @ bo@t junky@rd @nd rip @n old used one out. @lso, w@tch out for them deer!! Good Luck with everything, buddy!

West Marine will have bilge pumps. They are pretty cheap but you will need a 12v battery for power. You could buy the cheap 3/4-1.0" diameter tubing and bury it from your plants to the water source. Use a hand pump to move the water if gravity won't do it.

Awesome, can't wait to see the pics.

Everyone seems to reckon bilge pump is the way to go.
(embarrassed - never heard of it, I'll have to google it)

I've heard of people setting up a 1' electrified trip wire around their grow, for pests. You may wanna go even lower for the bunnies. Depends how much you want to spend. You could get away with regular plain fencing wire to keep the bigger ones away, for the bunnies .. hm I dunno.

Do bunnies even eat wild cannabis? I would've thought because cannabis comes with it's own inbuilt pesticide it'd be safe from most predators. You might wanna look into some organic pesticides you can spray directly onto the plants.

I can't remember what I used to use, sorry.

Awesome, can't wait to see the pics.

Everyone seems to reckon bilge pump is the way to go.
(embarrassed - never heard of it, I'll have to google it)

I've heard of people setting up a 1' electrified trip wire around their grow, for pests. You may wanna go even lower for the bunnies. Depends how much you want to spend. You could get away with regular plain fencing wire to keep the bigger ones away, for the bunnies .. hm I dunno.

Do bunnies even eat wild cannabis? I would've thought because cannabis comes with it's own inbuilt pesticide it'd be safe from most predators. You might wanna look into some organic pesticides you can spray directly onto the plants.

I can't remember what I used to use, sorry.

Yeah I looked up bilge pumps, but it doesnt really look like something I'd be into. I'm just going to hide a 5 gallon bucket on the site to use for watering. I figure the less equipment I have to maintain, the better! I think I might just set-up chicken wire around the plants until the get big enough to take care of themselves. For incesticide/animal repellant I'm going to use a cayenne pepper extract mixed with water. I dont really like using chemicals on my plants, so organic pesticides are the way to go.

Sounds like a plan!

Chicken wire would be perfect. Practically invisible.

I have a little outdoor operation in the works myself. I've got seedlings underway I just need to go scouting for a good location. I'm thinking google earth.

A friend of mine used to bury 20 gallon drums uphill from his grow spot, then run a hose from the base of the tanks to the plants with a valve to restrict water flow. He had it set up like a drip system I think.

Alright guys, I had a chance to go back to the location today and take some pictures.

This one is the clearing once you walk into it...
CIMG01171.JPG

Then when you look left...
CIMG01181.JPG

And Right....
CIMG0119.JPG

From here, the clearing extends about 40' forward until it breaks back into thicket.
CIMG0119.JPG

This is the edge of the clearing...
CIMG01201.JPG

Now from here, if you look left you will see a break in the brush leading to the creek bed. (by the red leaves)
CIMG01212.JPG

And here is some pictures of the creek....
CIMG0122.JPG

CIMG01241.JPG

I hope to clear out this area of all native ground plants, brush, and bullshit over the next few months to make sure its ready in time for next season.

So I Guess I should start another grow journal huh?

dig a few feet into the dirt and see how moist the soil is. i have a grow area about 200' from a small river and i almost never need to water.

also native soil will be fine for the grow, im basically growing in sand. and not only check the PH of the creek water, but check the soil also, or better yet check the creek water as it runs off from a bucket of the ground soil

I've been thinking about starting an outdoor grow for next year but I have a few questions about prep.

I know that I should dig a hole 3' wide x 3' deep for each plant, but can I just amend the native soil and reuse it? I plan on having two seperate spots with around 25 plants at each one; so buying pre-bagged soil would begin to get really expensive, really quickly.

I live in a Southern part of the United States, the weather can get hot (100+) but it wont freeze until after November. I plan on starting the seeds indoors and keeping them in there until it starts to warm up around March.

There is a creek and stream located near both of the spots I have chosen, what can I do to irrigate the water so it could be useful to my grow? Water will be my biggest issue, what are the best ways to naturally irrigate an area?

Thats about it, I hope someone can help!

Not sure what you mean by " expensive soil" cause there is question is it weed what you buying cheap or its soil cheap ?
"How many bags of soil you smoke for just one month ?"
2 x 25 plants (if is female) is about 25 000+ grams, is that cheap or expensive ?

Yes you can use native soil if that soil are good.
Anyway, good compost is always welcome.
Watering depends of your clima.
Creek, lake or river are places where rippers or leo searching for it.
2 x 25 plants is enormous high number for you and your knowledge about this sport.Go with 10 female plants in total.
Direct sun is also one of Must in growing.

Let me ask you this about cheap & expensive :
What is cheaper - growing for own purpose or jail ?

Read this like friendly advice and care what you doing, you are not ready yet for something big like this.

cheers

Back
Top Bottom