Outdoor Strain Unknown, How long until this is ready? No magnifier. First Grow

Chase Blade

Outdoor Strain Unknown, How long until this is ready? No magnifier. First Grow

Maybe by next year i will have a magnifying thingy. But for now could you guys please tell me about how much longer you think these need before harvest please?

Guestimate is great!

Ya i was not really prepared for this even tho i have my medical grow license. I had 6 clones but they budded the second i put them outside so i only had a tiny harvest. Then i had ONE little seed from some medical i had, that took hold, good thing for me it was a girl. And then i don't know how on my first try i got it to clone 3 more :)

And since they are in a greenhouse window, and my contract with the state says they must not be visible i had to grow them horizontal.

Next year i will be ready for this, i get 6 plants. I am growing from seed since i had 0 luck with clones.

I have read extensively on the internet tho and found one really good guide on how to know when to harvest without a magnifying glass. I have decided to wait 3 more weeks at least.

*unless i see some clear signs i need to do it sooner

well i got a one buck magnifying glass at wal-mart and if i look very very closely i can see the trichomes. They are still totally white and i now have a way to know when to harvest.

i worry more about these plants than i ever knew possible because my medical marijuana is costing a fortune one reason i don't have money for a better magnifier :p but the other day i trimmed the first girl and took a few decent buds and then did the ungodly and dried it in the microwave, right now i am very medicated from my poor neglected buds and that is with totally white trichomes so i am one happy camper with my one seed and give it to the universe theory my medical supplier told me to use

well i got a one buck magnifying glass at wal-mart and if i look very very closely i can see the trichomes. They are still totally white and i now have a way to know when to harvest.

i worry more about these plants than i ever knew possible because my medical marijuana is costing a fortune one reason i don't have money for a better magnifier :p but the other day i trimmed the first girl and took a few decent buds and then did the ungodly and dried it in the microwave, right now i am very medicated from my poor neglected buds and that is with totally white trichomes so i am one happy camper with my one seed and give it to the universe theory my medical supplier told me to use

How powerful is the magnifying glass you purchased for abuck? I use a 60x zoom scope and at times its hard to spot amber trichomes.
Some food for thought.

well that does it for me and 420, i have had two little problems with a grow and the only help i have gotten here is spend more money, dude i clicked on your first grow and seen your fancy nice set up, i would imagine buying the RIGHT kind of scope is no issue for you, BUT it so happens that not every one on the face of this planet has 5 bux. Sure it is only 5 bux, but for some people that means eating two more days or looking at a plant, i would like to state that not every person has money for everything that seems to be REQUIRED to grow weed and get help here

i was going to do a grow journal because for FREE and FIRST TIME EVER and ONE SEED, i personally think i am doing fine, so i will leave this place to their fancy grow rooms and scopes and nutes, and go back to what the hell i am trying to do here grow a plant from nature where there is no fancy scopes, and get a FAIR harvest

on my three plants i have about 80 buds the size of lighters and bigger, i am going to take all the negativity and no help i have gotten here, and leave it here, and walk away

great advice and encouragement thanks a lot

well that does it for me and 420, i have had two little problems with a grow and the only help i have gotten here is spend more money, dude i clicked on your first grow and seen your fancy nice set up, i would imagine buying the RIGHT kind of scope is no issue for you, BUT it so happens that not every one on the face of this planet has 5 bux. Sure it is only 5 bux, but for some people that means eating two more days or looking at a plant, i would like to state that not every person has money for everything that seems to be REQUIRED to grow weed and get help here

i was going to do a grow journal because for FREE and FIRST TIME EVER and ONE SEED, i personally think i am doing fine, so i will leave this place to their fancy grow rooms and scopes and nutes, and go back to what the hell i am trying to do here grow a plant from nature where there is no fancy scopes, and get a FAIR harvest

on my three plants i have about 80 buds the size of lighters and bigger, i am going to take all the negativity and no help i have gotten here, and leave it here, and walk away

great advice and encouragement thanks a lot

He was asking a question... I offered a suggestion to use binoculars looking through them backwards, to which you didn't comment or reply. We're trying to help you out, but if you want the best answer, anyone will tell you that you have to physically be able to see the trichome to properly harvest the plant.

The strain itself is unknown, so we don't even have a BASIC breeder window of when the plant will be ready. So that leaves us back to looking at trichomes.

Pistils mature at different rates, so that doesn't help us in identifying when a plant is ready to harvest.
And honestly, I can't even see trichomes clearly in either photograph.

If you want an honest answer: You need a 30x-60x magnifier to properly see the trichomes. Binoculars in reverse will work in a pinch. You will need to examine them specifically on the buds, and not on the sugar leaves, as they can mature at different rates on different strains. Pistils will also mature at varied rates between strains, and even between phenotypes, so they're no use to us for harvest purposes.

If you just want someone to tell you what you likely want to hear: OMG DOOD That is so dank chronic hydro pot weed dope ganja buddah green grass wewt! man I can see how it's ready now. OMG Man harvest that plant!!!1!!1!!one!

*Disclaimer* The second response is for example/humor only. Chase Blade agrees not to hold Antics or anyone else on 420 Magazine responsible for reduced yield and/or potency.

no but first off i am a girl not a dude, but never mind that what i would expect from some of the self proclaimed knowledge base here is this:

if there is no way to get a magnifier-

if you look VERY close you can even see trichomes from the naked eye, and don't count on your view much BUT you can generally tell if they are cloudy OR transparent if you look very close, try and get a leaf and turn it on its side where you can see the trichomes sticking off the leaf

but here is a method i would have expected relayed-

look for first the pistols to change colors from white and string to first a light gold red or brown, but that is not time to harvest yet, let most of the pistols not only change colors but turn back into the bud instead of sticking straight out. you can also inspect a little deeper in the bud, and where the seeds WOULD be if you are growing sensi, the pods should be well developed and big enough to hold a full grown seed

Also-

although i am SURE it is not the case on all fan leaves may start to go yellow and stems purple, but don't take only this into account as that could be a sign something is wrong with your plant

Oh and while you are at it, i wouldn't minded this either-

Sorry you can't afford better, but hope this helps and good luck with that 0 dollar cost crop

All we can do with little to no information, is make suggestions and observations.
Good Luck.

I'm not a rich man who thinks the only answer is to throw money at a problem. Sometimes tho that's the only answer I or others have to give for a solution. now you asked about figuring out when to harvest and with the info given the only answer is to check trics. I've only read one person who didn't use magnafication and it seemed he was waiting too long( all trics were amber) if you can tell cloudy from clear trics without good magnefication your eyes are better then mine and why not report the % you see? Now if you can't see them good enough to give us % of clear/cloudy/amber You can guess or you can figure out a way to see them better, that doesn't have to cost anything but you need to be creative and improvise. I suggest you look in the DIY forum for a thread titled repurposed optics in it I mention I got a decent magnifing gass out of a busted camcorder,I'd bet the same coud be done with a regular camera too no one said spend money.

okay to answer your question first, i have 3 big plants and 2 little ones all in different stages of flowering, that one in the picture is the most mature, and i think i might be waiting too long too and a bit worried. Okay with a buck magnifyer and HOURS spent looking VERY VERY closely god almost killed my eyes doing that, i can say without a doubt about 90 pct are cloudy, 3pct amber and a few still transparent

but i am thinking harvest time is not my biggest issue anymore i think they CRAZY flooding we have had in new mexico is, and that they were left outside on their own through that, pretty sure the storms have beaten them almost to death. I will NOT make the mistake of planting outside where i can not move them when needed again.

ya, cameras, i just got my very first very cheap digital camera last year, and when i say i can not afford this right now, it is not like i have binoculars or broken cameras or ANYTHING of the such laying around my house, i am POOR, like eat dirt poor. No stove 3 years poor. USA is not in great condition our poverty rate is a lot higher than most people know.

anyway, enough of my sad ass life, i will get by but i am not sure my plants can :p they need a little more money put into them, and if i had been prepared i prolly would have BUT i never thought i would have a greenhouse full of plants FROM ONE BAG SEED :D

idk about these plants,.... and right now i am trying one of the many methods for free i have found on other sites, like harvesting a few buds as i go and testing their potency....i am 100pct NOT happy iwth it

oh and the method i used to identify the amber although i didn't read to do this anywhere, was look at them at a side view and look at the stalks of the trichomes, for some reason, i can see the color change there a LITTLE better than looking at the tips, and the key to seeing is the right angle/right lighting, but the magnifying glass i have, does have one part where it magnifies more than the rest, that is the part of it i use, prolly x20 mag

okay i got freaked on the whole wait too long thing, ALL pistols have been red and turned in for a while now and it was still dark so i chopped the thing down, if instead of too late it was too early i will know now, and not cut the other ones down too soon...

guess today i will be trimming....

Well i must say i have a bit more hope after 2nd trim, the scissors were too sticky i had to keep cleaning them and couldn't get all the resin off. And now that they are inside not out, i am 99pct sure i have identified the strain, also helps i know what i was smoking around the time i got the seed- mostly indica but none of that had any seed in it there was only some skunk, sour diesel and one other i don't remember. And i am 99pct sure that is sour diesel i am smelling :p

oh and btw as seen above, if i had a few more than five dollars i would fix my roof :p having built in sun roof is fine, but not so fine when it was made by water caving it in

Back
Top Bottom