Outside grow questions

slogro

I am planning to do a grow in a spot that is a 5 minute walk from house.
Its its on the side of a hill with massive boulders. I was thinking of putting some 5 gallon pots out there and painting the outside the same color as the boulders and using gravel on top of the soil to help prevent them from drying out so fast. There will be a minimal amount of tree cover come summer but enough to help hide the plants.
There is a stream about 500 feet away. I was thinking of getting a couple 55 gallon barrels and putting them above grow to supply water. I will only be able to access this area on the weekends.

Will 5 gallon pots be able to hold out for a week between watering in heat of the summer?
What kind of medium should i use in the 5 gallon buckets.

Thanks

Good soil is the key. I use pro mix and mix it with the existing soil. I also use terra sorb. Terra sorb has about 5 or so different mycorrhiza , plus water absorbing crystals. This is how I plant mine. I usually water when I first plant then a week later. Then after if it hasn't rained in a few weeks.

If you add compost + biochar to your soil, you'll get a pretty good water retention.

I would not go with that idea ,would never survive ,plants will dry out before the week is up.unless you figure out a drip system.

Why not plant them directly in the ground? Use water polymer crystals mixed into the soil and make sure the ground is shaded or covered to prevent it from drying out too quickly. You can construct a make shift drip system with 2 liter soda bottles.

You should plant in the ground using a slow release fert Like Osmocote plus. cut a 3'x3' piece of carpet that matches the terrain and make a slit in it to the middle and enlarge the middle a bit then put this around your plants stem. This will allow air to circulate and will retain moisture. Works so well I have had plants I never had to water.

Back
Top Bottom