Over dried maybe

marcus611a

My question is this. I think maybe might have over dried. Because when I put in jar it says humidity inside is 51%. That's what it originally was the day I put it in the jar. I have two jars I put a apple peel in one and it raise humidity to 66. Am I fucked on my bud or what? I had it hanging upside down in my grow tent for three days and I checked on it and it felt really crispy. And so I put them in the jar. Will they ever get their skunk smell back if I leave them in the jar or am I just screwed

If you dried it to a crisp before the jar, it won't taste great but the THC is still there
A good test is to snap a stem and see if it is soft/wet or snaps cleanly - jar it somewhere between the two
Don't think you can rehydrate bud, if that's your question?
Better to get a feel for your buds than rely on gadgets and numbers *IMHO*

Yes, you absolutely can re-hydrate over dry buds, and it will greatly improve the taste. Get some Boveda packs, the 62% ones. You put the bud in a mason jar with the Boveda pack, and close the lid. The Boveda pack will stabilize humidity in the bud at 62% (+.-). They work both ways, if humidity is too high it will lower it, if the humidty is to low it will raise it. You can get em Amazon or E-bay pretty cheap. Get the size that's for one oz, as I recall they are sold by the dozen.

Curing happens because of some bacteria that live in the growing buds, breaking down the chlorophyll and other compounds in the product as it slowly dries. Once the product has dried below 59% RH, those bacteria have died, and no amount of re-moisturizing is going to bring them back. You might be able to use humidity packs or orange peels to bring the RH back up, but the cure is done at that point.
We all have had this hard lesson at least once... fans on in a dark tent causing a quick dry of the product. Bet you don't do that again!

Absolutely, won't continue to cure, but it will help to rehydrate the buds, and that will help with the harshness of over dried buds. I've done it a few times. Also, found that there is often enough residual water in the stems that the RH will come up after it's been in the jar for a couple days, even without Boveda packs.

It actually turned out I didn't fuck it up it's actually curing pretty nicely

20210611_191843.jpg

20210611_191711.jpg

20210611_191701.jpg

20210610_182957.jpg

20210610_182521.jpg

20210610_182500.jpg

20210610_182425.jpg

Hiya,

My buds ended up too dry in the curing jars right from the get-go (46%). I was very careful with the dry. I went slow. 45-55% humidity, light air movement, etc. I started checking stems at 7 days. I never had one snap completely, even the tiny garbage things I now know to trim off early. They would bend and crease. I had read to also feel the buds; "popcorn" like on the outside, firm in middle. On day 13, the feel of the buds were what got me to harvest (and the garbage truck schedule) But apparently too much popcorn. I put boveda packs in the jars, but they didn't move the meters but 2%. Its been 7 days since putting them in the curing jars.

I guess I should just package them for storage at this point? Anyone make a case for letting them sit in curing jars any longer?

Is it still a good idea because maybe the bigger buds still have moisture in the middle that still needs to work itself out and its just the little buds that are drier keeping the Rh in the jar down?

Or

Should I package at this point because the RH in the jar is too low for any of that microbial conversion to take place, even in the bigger buds?

Thx.

Hiya,

My buds ended up too dry in the curing jars right from the get-go (46%). I was very careful with the dry. I went slow. 45-55% humidity, light air movement, etc. I started checking stems at 7 days. I never had one snap completely, even the tiny garbage things I now know to trim off early. They would bend and crease. I had read to also feel the buds; "popcorn" like on the outside, firm in middle. On day 13, the feel of the buds were what got me to harvest (and the garbage truck schedule) But apparently too much popcorn. I put boveda packs in the jars, but they didn't move the meters but 2%. Its been 7 days since putting them in the curing jars.

I guess I should just package them for storage at this point? Anyone make a case for letting them sit in curing jars any longer?

Is it still a good idea because maybe the bigger buds still have moisture in the middle that still needs to work itself out and its just the little buds that are drier keeping the Rh in the jar down?

Or

Should I package at this point because the RH in the jar is too low for any of that microbial conversion to take place, even in the bigger buds?

Thx.
Hi @stnsclptr and welcome to the forum!:welcome:
It sounds like you got confused by the same thing I did at first, the snap. I had assumed that the snap was going to be a bit more dramatic than it actually is, and I tended to overdry my product waiting for it too. It actually was the bend that I was looking for. A green wet branch when grabbed by each end, will simply bend as the ends move toward each other. A green branch will bend all the way around into a circle if you let it... there is no snap. A more dry branch will stop bending at some point and suddenly snap into a bend and crease as you described it. It is this point... when they no longer are pliable enough to bend as far as you can take them, but suddenly snap into a 90 degree turn, that is what you are looking for. I had one of those slap my head moments the first time I realized that snap was silent and not nearly as dramatic as I had imagined.

So yeah, if yours are that dry, Bovida cant help. If it is still steady in the jar after a day or so, there is no hidden moisture deep in the buds. Next time you will get to work on your curing technique... this time, it sounds like curing is over. It's still probably pretty good pot... its just not as smooth as it could have been and it won't taste quite like it should. Tough it out and determine to smoke all of this before your next harvest is ready, and then try again. With each grow, we all tend to get just a little bit better at our technique and I don't think I have met anyone that still isn't learning. It's a tough lesson, but we have all been there at least once... in my case, several times.:love:

Hi @stnsclptr and welcome to the forum!:welcome:
It sounds like you got confused by the same thing I did at first, the snap. I had assumed that the snap was going to be a bit more dramatic than it actually is, and I tended to overdry my product waiting for it too. It actually was the bend that I was looking for. A green wet branch when grabbed by each end, will simply bend as the ends move toward each other. A green branch will bend all the way around into a circle if you let it... there is no snap. A more dry branch will stop bending at some point and suddenly snap into a bend and crease as you described it. It is this point... when they no longer are pliable enough to bend as far as you can take them, but suddenly snap into a 90 degree turn, that is what you are looking for. I had one of those slap my head moments the first time I realized that snap was silent and not nearly as dramatic as I had imagined.

So yeah, if yours are that dry, Bovida cant help. If it is still steady in the jar after a day or so, there is no hidden moisture deep in the buds. Next time you will get to work on your curing technique... this time, it sounds like curing is over. It's still probably pretty good pot... its just not as smooth as it could have been and it won't taste quite like it should. Tough it out and determine to smoke all of this before your next harvest is ready, and then try again. With each grow, we all tend to get just a little bit better at our technique and I don't think I have met anyone that still isn't learning. It's a tough lesson, but we have all been there at least once... in my case, several times.:love:
Thanks for clearing that up. Apparently “snap” is a relative term. Lol. I journaled my grow. I had several problems. I learned a ton and I’m starting my next grow in a week or two. I think I got 4 good oz and I thought it was fine when I tried a smoke right before I started curing. It seemed the same as the flower I buy. So, if it’s the same or better than that tester I’ll be happy. I’m sending it off for testing next week. I’ll go ahead and package them for storage then.
Thanks for the reply.

Back
Top Bottom